X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Egavactip
    Swordsman
    • Mar 2012

Early Christmas present

I am waiting for Father Christmas in town in a few days, but in the meantime Santa brought something early: Rael's Tome of Destruction on dungeon level 11 for my 13th level mage.
  • Egavactip
    Swordsman
    • Mar 2012

What Santa gives, the fat bastard takes away. My mage found Scarabtices soon after and this was very helpful, but he died soon after, ambushed by Kevlax from out of LOS with an apparent double move.

I have now had four mage characters die in a row, one in the end game and the other three in the death zone. My endgame character was really powerful but a few Plasma hounds got him almost immediately, it was like stun heavy stun knockout right away. I was shocked.

Kevlax also obviously shocked me. I was just moseying along and then all of a sudden You Die.

Last night a stupid black wraith killed my most recent mage. With like one HP left and ostensibly fleeing, he nethered me and my character dropped dead. I thought I had more HP than his max nether attack, so it came as a big surprise to find myself dead.

The remaining mage was killed by a berserker. I don't remember the details of that death, but it was not the unexpected surprise that the others were. Those deaths are the worst, because you have no time to mentally prepare for them. All of a sudden it's "Game over, asshole, don't you wish you had been playing windows hearts instead?"

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

This thread sums up so much about Angband
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• gglibertine
        Adept
        • Dec 2007

Today Santa brought me the Amulet of Ingwë on DL1, followed by a Potion of Experience on DL11. I am become Death, destroyer of worlds.

I'm gonna leave him a bottle of Lagavulin with his cookies on Xmas Eve.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by gglibertine
          Today Santa brought me the Amulet of Ingwë on DL1
          In V4.0.4? I thought getting Elessar at 1000ft in comp 181 was incredibly lucky, but that's insane!
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• gglibertine
            Adept
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
            In V4.0.4? I thought getting Elessar at 1000ft in comp 181 was incredibly lucky, but that's insane!
            I know, right? Followed by that Potion of Experience, which sent me straight to CL30. It was *awesome* while it lasted. What's even more insane is that I managed to die anyway. Due to my own carelessness as usual. I really suck at this game. Why do I love it so much?

Speaking of Christmas presents, shouldn't the Red-Hatted Elf I just killed in town have given me one? It *is* Christmas Eve, after all. And he hit me first!

Comment

• Egavactip
              Swordsman
              • Mar 2012

Oh, and now the next one has died, too, at the hands of a basilisk suddenly conjured by a ranger--something I had never ever seen happen before. The basilisk immediately spewed poison and I was toast, quick as that.

Comment

• Egavactip
                Swordsman
                • Mar 2012

And killed again. By a gnome mage of all things. High elf mages are apparently not my forte. This is the worst streak I've had with a single race/class combination. I seem to be making a catalog of all the ways to die.

Comment

• Egavactip
                  Swordsman
                  • Mar 2012

And killed again. By a dracolisk, of all things, WAY OUT OF LEVEL, lurking at the far end of a long dark corridor. One breath. You die. What the hell was that thing doing there, dammit. WizardBoy11 was 33rd level and was just starting to look good. This is the worst continuous run of luck--11 character deaths in a row--since I started playing Angband "seriously" (i.e., not save scumming). I've died in every way from stupidity to bad luck to bizarre circumstances. I am beginning to think I am jinxed with this race/class combination. My new year's resolution has got to be not to die.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Egavactip
                    And killed again.... I am beginning to think I am jinxed with this race/class combination. My new year's resolution has got to be not to die.
                    I sympathize. Don't know what race/mage you are playing, but I usually lose at least two or three mages before I get one through. Most of the deaths on my ladder posts are mages, followed by priests.
                    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Carnivean
                      Knight
                      • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Egavactip
                      High elf mages are apparently not my forte.
                      High elves get to be the most powerful, except in devices, but they take forever to get there. Maybe a different race would help? Gnomes have the best device skill (so the biggest damage boost on devices), though they're very low in HP. Troll mages are the opposite, but they can melee much better until the magic catches up, and regeneration helps SP recovery.

Comment

• Egavactip
                        Swordsman
                        • Mar 2012

My irritating string of deaths seems to be making me more stubborn. I am trying again.

Comment

• krazyhades
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2013

I am known to get stubborn, irritable, and stupid after a string of deaths myself. I recommend your choice of either taking a break or not dying :P

Comment

• Egavactip
                            Swordsman
                            • Mar 2012

My new high elf mage is now half-way through CL28, so I am officially invested in him. And I am in the thick of the kill zone, so here is where he is likely to die, somehow, somewhen.

Comment

• Egavactip
                              Swordsman
                              • Mar 2012

Well, I just this second found Kelek's on DL33. So that is going to help!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎