• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
    That doesn't compute. What do you mean?
    He was expecting a higher threat. For example, DL100 has always "Omens of death" feeling.
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Egavactip
      Swordsman
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
      He was expecting a higher threat. For example, DL100 has always "Omens of death" feeling.
      Yeah, and the level had other late game uniques on it, too, in addition to ol' Sauron, but it just had a 7. A bit odd, if you ask me.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
        Veteran
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Egavactip
        Yeah, and the level had other late game uniques on it, too, in addition to ol' Sauron, but it just had a 7. A bit odd, if you ask me.
        Not so odd, to me. Sometimes DL99 has only Sauron as the major threat. Sometimes only him and a few other big level uniques. It's all about the power ratings. I wouldn't be surprised as long as the level is above a 5.
        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Egavactip
          Now I finally understood that that's level threat feeling. I was wondering what "difficulty level" you were talking about, since monsters don't really make game harder to me. If I'm not ready to fight, I don't fight, so monsters alone don't really make game any harder. Slower maybe, but not harder.

Level feelings are not very accurate, and Sauron being in-depth monster doesn't really add much to level threat. At dlvl 98 you need a lot of big monsters to get high threat level. Everything is in-depth by that time.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Timo-
            That depends on where you are in the game. If you are a low stealth warrior looking for that first Rod of Detection, level feelings matter a lot. Later on, it lets you know that there are monsters actually worth fighting. It also lets you know if there's a (greater) vault on the level. So yeah, level feelings can definitely make a difference for survivability. The question about Sauron is more about game character than anything else: of course the quest monsters are always present at native depth, so only have modest effect on level feeling. But perhaps the level feeling should be over-ridden.

Comment

• bertoid
              Rookie
              • Sep 2015

More crazy RNG tomfoolery:

Code:
              Sling of Buckland (x3) (+3,+14) <+5, +1>:
              Found lying on the floor at 250 feet (level 5)

Silver Amulet of Weaponmastery (+3,+2) <+1>:
              Found lying on the floor at 300 feet (level 6)
              Too bad I've got a Mage going along right now...

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

An early extra shots weapon is an awesome find for a mage, as is something that increases strength and accuracy. Either is way better than (say) a 'Thanc or the Phial. The sling in particular will be your main weapon for quite some time.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

g) Multi-Hued Dragon Scale Mail (-2) [45,+13] (charging)
                  Dropped by Orfax, Son of Boldor at 550 feet (level 11)
                  Provides resistance to acid, lightning, fire, frost, poison gas.

Comment

• bertoid
                    Rookie
                    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                    An early extra shots weapon is an awesome find for a mage, as is something that increases strength and accuracy. Either is way better than (say) a 'Thanc or the Phial. The sling in particular will be your main weapon for quite some time.
                    Even with the lousy to-hit for ranged that a mage has? I guess the +15 damage will help a lot. That is, if I can find shots... They seem to be missing in this particular dungeon.

Comment

• Egavactip
                      Swordsman
                      • Mar 2012

Mages use ranged weapons all the time. I had one mage who found a decent ego bow early on and rode that puppy like Marco Rubio riding a slogan at a presidential debate.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

@Egavactip--
                        Yep. It really helps to carry !Hero for the big fights for a Mage.

Comment

• Thraalbee
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2010

When it rains it pours...

How about this? I am playing a rather weak Ironman Rogue and at 1200' I stumble upon a pair of nice boots. Quite nice. In fact awesome. Shy of Feanor a pair of +9 speed BoS is a great find even at 40 000'. So what do I do? I double check just to make sure, but yes - Golfimbul's boots from 1150' offer better ac and speed (+10) so I just snort and keep walking

Comment

• Mars
                            Scout
                            • Apr 2007

You should have grown an extra pair of feet
                            Mostly retired Angband player. I just don't have the time .

Comment

• bertoid
                              Rookie
                              • Sep 2015

My current game is very odd: I have a fighter right now on dlvl 20. Feeling is a 2-9, due to a Mace of Disruption (5d8) (+0,+0). Funny thing is that this is the second MoD I've seen. The first was on dlvl 3 (!!!), also with a feeling of n-9 (n <= 3). Also with (+0+0). Neither of these were in particularly special rooms, and were just lying on the floor.

I thought that MoDs were only allocated above level 80. I am playing with randarts, but that shouldn't create such an OOD weapon, right?

And before anyone asks: no, I am not using either. I have a Broad Sword of Westernesse that is significantly better. Who ever heard of a MoD with no to-hit and no to-dam bonuses? I have standards...

Comment

• Derakon
                                Prophet
                                • Dec 2009

Originally posted by bertoid
                                I thought that MoDs were only allocated above level 80. I am playing with randarts, but that shouldn't create such an OOD weapon, right?
                                In theory, any item can be allocated anywhere; it just gets increasingly more difficult as the item gets more and more out-of-depth. So you got astoundingly lucky...in a very useless fashion.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎