• PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Has the RNG lost its mind?

Latest 4.0.3:

Code:
      [Character Equipment]

c) an Adamantite Ring of Speed <+10>
         Dropped by a Snaga at 600 feet (level 12).

+10 speed.
    Of course I won't complain, but that clearly breaks the game...
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!
  • Raccoon
    Scout
    • Oct 2015

Random Number God giveth, and Random Number God, in his infinite wisdom, taketh away.

Blessed art thou, favored of the Random Number God. May your dice forever land on '20'.

Seriously though, this is your once in a lifetime find to make up for all those times a mysterious out-of-depth monster killed you from beyond line of sight

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Raccoon
      Seriously though, this is your once in a lifetime find to make up for all those times a mysterious out-of-depth monster killed you from beyond line of sight
      On the contrary, that's now inevitable
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• bio_hazard
        Knight
        • Dec 2008

Feature request for 4.1: Taunting dialog from the RNG

Comment

• brbrbr
          Adept
          • Sep 2015

Yesterday at dl1 (one!) I got The Dagger 'Narthanc'
          My mage did not complain

In 20 games I played recently (4.0.2), I've noticed game almost always gives a WOW-gift within first 10 dangeon levels.
          Here are some examples:
          - Rod of Speed. Yes, yes, yes, you read it right
          - Potion of experience (Ha-ha-ha!)
          - Artifact Bow +10 speed
          - Rod of Probing
          - Rod of Drain life

I think it is designed so. It must be a piece of code in to boost the new player morale and give him a false sense of being lucky and loved by RNG

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by brbrbr
            Yesterday at dl1 (one!) I got The Dagger 'Narthanc'
            My mage did not complain

In 20 games I played recently (4.0.2), I've noticed game almost always gives a WOW-gift within first 10 dangeon levels.
            Here are some examples:
            - Rod of Speed. Yes, yes, yes, you read it right
            - Potion of experience (Ha-ha-ha!)
            - Artifact Bow +10 speed
            - Rod of Probing
            - Rod of Drain life

I think it is designed so. It must be a piece of code in to boost the new player morale and give him a false sense of being lucky and loved by RNG
            The mind sees what it wants to see....

Oh, beware the early !Experience. Sure, it will jump you up to CL 30, but it will be a very long time before you get to CL 31. If @ gets stats drained, you will have to find mushrooms of vigor. You won't be able to rely on the fix from a quick level-up.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• tumbleweed
              Adept
              • May 2015

IMO it's always more fun if you find an early game-changer (not necessarily -breaker), even if it's something that can backfire hard like !exp.

Comment

• Raccoon
                Scout
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by tumbleweed
                IMO it's always more fun if you find an early game-changer (not necessarily -breaker), even if it's something that can backfire hard like !exp.
                Anything to change the way the early game feels, right? I've always found the early game to be a boring but mandatory slog, to at least get those first few level ups (for HP and spells) before the real diving can begin

Comment

• Rowan
                  Adept
                  • Sep 2014

Just found Colluin on DLvl 10. Hello, magical resistances! Maybe it's not that rare, but I usually find it much deeper, when it's pretty much worthless compared to what I have by that point. This time, it'll help when the Multi-Hued Dragons start showing up!

I think it's pretty cool to get surprise treasures early on. Sometimes it even changes my strategy, which is a welcome flavor-change to someone who dies often.
                  Last edited by Rowan; October 29, 2015, 19:54.

Comment

• luneya
                    Swordsman
                    • Aug 2015

I've gotten DL 1 `thanc daggers more times than I can count. It definitely makes the early game a lot easier, but in the long run doesn't change much.

That speed ring is a lot rarer and more valuable, but I still wouldn't consider it game breaking. After, in a normal game, you've probably found something of the sort before you're ready to face Morgoth. It's just happened a bit earlier this time

Comment

• Rowan
                      Adept
                      • Sep 2014

Holycrapholycrapholycrap.

So I found my first Power Dragon Scale Mail at level 36. Love.

Fighting, fighting... On level 71 I squashed Ungoliant. Great! Wait a minute... what's that she dropped...

Power Dragon Scale Mail of Craftsmanship. What is that in my pants? Cream.

Now here's a question. It's PDSM of Craftsmanship... "tough yet unencumbering" so it says. I put it on... "The weight of your armor encumbers your movement." ....butbutbut the label says....

Comment

• Estie
                        Veteran
                        • Apr 2008

It is light for the amount of AC it provides. If the mana loss is significant (I doubt it is), consider replacing/removing some other piece of armor.

The label is quite correct, but even a cloak can be the deciding piece to push you into encumbrance.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2009

Note that other heavier type armors have a [-#] at the front. This is a penalty based on "encumbrance". Craftmanship armors have no such penalty. This is different than the penalty for exceeding the weight limits of a @ before they suffer an encumbrance penalty for weight. These are based on the race/class combo and the @'s strength (and possibly dexterity, I don't remember). They will cause a reduction in mana points. Once your @ gets stats up a bit, particularly Strength (and Dexterity?), that PowerDragon Scale Mail will carry you all the way to the end of the game. It is a game changing find!
                          “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                          ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Derakon
                            Prophet
                            • Dec 2009

There are a few different penalties involving gear.

First off is the weight penalty. Carry too much between your inventory, equipment, and quiver, and you get slowed down. Increasing your STR is the only way to raise this limit (race/class impacts this and all other things only in that it affects the stats used to determine thresholds).

Second is the weight limit on arcane casters. This is a limit on how heavy of armor you can wear (summed over all of your armor). I believe it's either 20 or 30 pounds. Wear heavy armor, and for each pound of weight over the limit, you lose 1 spellpoint. That's all.

Third is the accuracy bonus from wearing heavy armor. Armor that has a "(-3)" or the like in the description, before the AC bonus, makes you very slightly less accurate when you wear it. Not generally relevant.

Fourth is the glove limit, again on arcane casters. Wear gloves that don't give free action or a DEX bonus and your spellpoints get cut by/to a third (I forget which) and I think your spell failure rates also go up.

There's also the edged weapon penalty for priests -- if they wield a non-hafted weapon that isn't blessed, then they suffer a penalty to their melee ability and spell failure rates. Obviously not relevant here but it is an equipment penalty.

Comment

• Bogatyr
                              Knight
                              • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                              PDSM: It is a game changing find!
                              Heh, a measly zombie on dlev ~55 or so just dropped a set of PDSM. Yay, resists! Swap to Cloak of Aman for nether and now only nexus remains (who cares, I'll just avoid dracolisks). Now I have total freedom of shield choice.

Not much in the way of speed for this run of GnMage yet, but early Kelek's (clev 33 or so) and Mordinkanen's (the two most critical utility books) and an on-time Raal's means @ is already a unique-killing machine. Also Eol, so "I ain't afraid o' no Balrogs" (imm fire).

Don't know why I didn't notice before, but Rend Soul is an *excellent* "slay animal" spell. Doesn't work on much else (well, A's too), but when it does work, it's devastating, just a bit below Chaos Strike and no polymorph.

@ has reached all of about 300HP (woohoo!) so cause wounds spells are off the instadeath list at last.

Piling up on -Clone for experience farming drujs and Great Hell Wyrms. Don't know why I didn't think of druj farming before: they're stationary and lots of exp.

Time to dive to 98!
                              Last edited by Bogatyr; November 14, 2015, 09:10.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎