X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rowan
    Adept
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Estie
    The label is quite correct, but even a cloak can be the deciding piece to push you into encumbrance.
    Ahhhh ok that makes sense. Yeah the to-hit penalty is gone, so I'm keeping this one. Well, plus it's [60,33] when my previous PDSM was [60,10] or so. Imagine selling PDSM, ha!

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
    ...They will cause a reduction in mana points. Once your @ gets stats up a bit, particularly Strength (and Dexterity?), that PowerDragon Scale Mail will carry you all the way to the end of the game. It is a game changing find!
    Well I'm already Clvl 50 with 18/180 STR and 18/160 DEX and 385 mana (with the armor on) so I'm ok I just got a little thrown by the conflicting unencumbering/encumbering terminology, but now it makes sense. *puts on*

Comment

• PowerWyrm
      Prophet
      • Apr 2008

A player just found a PDSM in TomeNET... at 1000'. Anyone recalls something like that in the whole history of Angband drops?
      PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Originally posted by PowerWyrm
        A player just found a PDSM in TomeNET... at 1000'. Anyone recalls something like that in the whole history of Angband drops?
        I remember someone on rec.games.roguelike.angband found the One Ring before 1000' once. Their savefile got shared around a bit so people could experience having the One for most of a game -- usually if it's found at all it's right near the end.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
          I remember someone on rec.games.roguelike.angband found the One Ring before 1000' once. Their savefile got shared around a bit so people could experience having the One for most of a game -- usually if it's found at all it's right near the end.
          I once found Ancient Red Dragon at around 500'. Not quite as impressive as The One Ring, but I was quite impressed how dead I could get.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
            Veteran
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
            Years ago, back in the Angband 2.xx era, cough, sputter, yes, I'm old... and got the game on a, dare I say it, floppy disk.... I once found The One Ring buried in rubble at about 1,000'. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to play and the @ quickly died. Left off playing Angband for years, and was happy to find this community and the game alive and well. Once in awhile I'm tempted to dig rubble just on the off chance I might find that "precious" ring again, but I can usually resist.
            “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
            ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Bill Peterson
              Adept
              • Jul 2007

Years ago, back in the Angband 2.xx era, cough, sputter, yes, I'm old... and got the game on a, dare I say it, floppy disk.... I once found The One Ring buried in rubble at about 1,000'. Unfortunately, I didn't know how to play and the @ quickly died. Left off playing Angband for years, and was happy to find this community and the game alive and well. Once in awhile I'm tempted to dig rubble just on the off chance I might find that "precious" ring again, but I can usually resist.
              Same here. I once found Thorin under rubble and since then I have to clear any rubble I come across. I think of rubble as the "Poor man's Scroll of Acquirement". But I've never found anything significant in the 10 years since that find.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bill Peterson
                Same here. I once found Thorin under rubble and since then I have to clear any rubble I come across. I think of rubble as the "Poor man's Scroll of Acquirement". But I've never found anything significant in the 10 years since that find.
                I think probability of finding something under rubble has decreased a lot at some point in angband history. I too dig out every pile of rubble because they used to reveal something useful every now and then, but I can't recall last time I found anything useful.

Comment

• jrodman
                  Apprentice
                  • Feb 2009

Years ago, back in the Angband 2.xx era, cough, sputter, yes, I'm old... and got the game on a, dare I say it, floppy disk....
                  Digression: I started in the Ben Harrison 2.7 days because usenet was talking about it.

I once found The One Ring buried in rubble at about 1,000'.
                  My version was finding Ringil under rubble, but that was in some ridiculously extended Mage game in the 2.9x timeframe. I'm not sure how the game could have avoided giving me something under rubble. I probably fully cleared 300 dungeon layouts.

Comment

• Egavactip
                    Swordsman
                    • Mar 2012

Just now found this under some rubble:
                    Attached Files

Comment

• gglibertine
                      Adept
                      • Dec 2007

Holy wow. Maybe I should start playing with randarts.

Comment

• Egavactip
                        Swordsman
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by gglibertine
                        Holy wow. Maybe I should start playing with randarts.
                        I always play with randarts now--I like the idea of never knowing what you will get and having to make do with what you have while waiting for mana from heaven to drop. Sometimes it can make things difficult, in that you can't quite form the combination of resists and abilities you need, but that probably all evens out. I think it makes Angband much more replayable to use randarts and I am surprised more people don't do so.

Comment

• Rowan
                          Adept
                          • Sep 2014

Found a third PDSM in the same run...

Comment

• Estie
                            Veteran
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Rowan
                            Found a third PDSM in the same run...
                            Thats a good one. I once had 2 dwarven PDSMs +2 with exactly the same AC enchantment so they stacked.

Comment

• tprice
                              Adept
                              • Jun 2008

DL30, hmmm a LF3-? lets poke around a bit to see how good the stuff is since its not dangerous. Detect Treasure and head toward the first item.

Sitting on the floor in an empty room is a green ?, look at it and... Wrath of God!?!?!?! 50 levels out of depth! YES! Oh wait, I'm playing my ranger alternate character not my dwarf priest main. RNG, you are _taunting_ me!

after that the full LF 3-9 showed up. I'll have to search the whole level but i think that was the main reason for the 9. grumble grumble. Guess this is making up for the Rod of Acid Balls i found sitting on the floor at DL24

Thomas Price
                              aka The Bookworm

Comment

• tprice
                                Adept
                                • Jun 2008

Well Ibun, Son of Mim showed up by himself and let me phase door around him and shoot him to death then dropped a Ring of Speed +10, my first speed item :-) but otherwise the floor was a bust besides that stupid priest book.

I'm happy getting rid of Ibun. When i had previously seen him he was with his brother and dad as a pack. I had no TO at that point and just bailed on the floor.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎