X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
    Any plans for the curses? Sticky curse is bad game design and difficult to fix, my idea for that is "semi-sticky", you can take off the item, but you can't drop it. If you try it goes to inventory instead.

Items could have (some, lesser) effect while in inventory as well. Like aggravating item works like big malus to stealth or like that.
    Ah, thank you - I had forgotten curses. My basic idea is something like this, but not exactly like - in particular, the ID bit would have to be rethought. And that would be for 4.1.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Zireael
      Adept
      • Jul 2011

I'd really like to see more race-specific (and possibly class-specific) special abilities, like Dwarf treasure-sensing and Gnome wand-identification - I feel like those do a lot more to make playing a different race feel like a different experience than just stat bonuses or inherent resists.
      What variant are those from? I love them!

Comment

• MattB
        Veteran
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Zireael
        What variant are those from? I love them!
        Both are in Vanilla.
        (Along with Hobbit's innate mushroom ID).

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by MattB
          Both are in Vanilla.
          (Along with Hobbit's innate mushroom ID).
          Dwarf also gets digging bonus. I think.

What special abilities there could be? They should not be too powerful so that they do not alter difficulty too much.

Comment

• Cold_Heart
            Adept
            • Mar 2012

Rogues need to be able to set traps and backstab things.

Comment

• fizzix
              Prophet
              • Aug 2009

Nick, I think your list looks great, I have a few suggestions.

When designing themed levels/rooms it's easy to run into issues (which we've seen with cavern/labyrinth levels). Namely, the way Angband is played, you either need to ensure that all the levels have nearly equivalent risk/reward levels, or you need to prevent the player from skipping "bad" levels. I'm less worried about scumming for "good" levels.

Just one example, DJA introduced themed levels in one its later releases, but I never got to play with them. That is because the threat was greater than for normal levels, so I always was forced to leave them very quickly. We don't want the same thing to happen to themed levels.

There is another option, which I'm thinking of trying for my inevitable fork of V in which themed levels are blocked into 5 level blocks. So that when you start the game, it decides that levels 20-25 are caverns, or whatever themed level type you have. You can still "skip" the bad levels, but there's a difference between regenerating a bad level into a good one, or going up/down one flight of stairs, and having to travel 5 levels deeper to get past a "bad" section of the dungeon. You still want risk/reward balance, but now you have a lot more leeway.

I wholeheartedly approve of smaller level size. But I'm also someone who thinks that vaults are too large currently. I hit "vault fatigue" on almost every large vault I come across. I know that most people love the huge vaults though... Regardless, figuring out how huge vaults fit with smaller levels is a bit of a difficulty. It's already tough to fit some of them in our current level size.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

Originally posted by Cold_Heart
                Rogues need to be able to set traps and backstab things.
                I think if Rogues are gaining backstab they need to be a little weaker to start with or how stealth works should be reworked, as currently Rogues are already pretty powerful to begin with. I'd be in favour of those things anyway though.

Comment

• Nick
                  Vanilla maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

fizzix - good points, especially on the vaults. I'm expecting quite a lot of chopping and changing on level generation until it works effectively, so we should be able to iron out the issues as we go.

And making rogues more roguey is certainly on the agenda.
                  One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                  In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• maboleth
                    Rookie
                    • Sep 2009

While you all seem to be concerned on the core side, as it should be, I'm concerned about the visuals. We have Shockbolt here, the guy is doing magnificent 64x64 tiles and is about to complete the entire set for Angband.

You should utilize his power and use it. Rarely anyone posts anything in his 64x64 thread in Dev forum except him and that's a shame. He put a massive work and had lots of ideas. Ideas for ponds, water and lava are just some of those. And his new tiles for dungeon walls, doors and lights look amazing. He could transform Angband into the 21st century game. That should be on the agenda for Angband 4.x as well.
                    Last edited by maboleth; June 1, 2015, 23:37.

Comment

• MattB
                      Veteran
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by maboleth
                      While you all seem to be concerned on the core side, as it should be, I'm concerned about the visuals. We have Shockbolt here, the guy is doing magnificent 64x64 tiles and is about to complete the entire set for Angband.

You should utilize his power and use it. Rarely anyone posts anything in his 64x64 thread in Dev forum and that's a shame. He put a massive work and had lots of ideas. Ideas for ponds, water and lava are just some of those. And his new tiles for dungeon walls, doors and lights look amazing. He could transform Angband into the 21st century game. That should be on the agenda for Angband 4.x as well.
                      A big +1 from me!

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by maboleth

You should utilize his power and use it. Rarely anyone posts anything in his 64x64 thread in Dev forum except him and that's a shame. He put a massive work and had lots of ideas. Ideas for ponds, water and lava are just some of those. And his new tiles for dungeon walls, doors and lights look amazing. He could transform Angband into the 21st century game. That should be on the agenda for Angband 4.x as well.
                        I just need to figure out how to play with them on my little laptop screen. Well, pretty big as far as laptops go. But I switched to ASCII because tiles were so hard to see. They do look beautiful in the posts, though.
                        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
                          And making rogues more roguey is certainly on the agenda.
                          I have always pictured rogues a more spellcaster-like than rangers. Give them most mage utility spells, and remove almost all mage spells from Rangers arsenal. Or introduce a new class: archer, which is basically a 5-blow warrior with rangers ability to use bow. Reduce ranger shots to one extra at clvl 25.

What to do with paladins....I find paladins boring. They need something that exclusive to them.

I also think that warrior extra blow should be like rangers extra blow, not dependent to weapon weight and STR/DEX calcs. Just start with one extra blow and use rangers/rogues calc for rest. Make them prefer heavier weapons from start.

Comment

• fizzix
                            Prophet
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                            I have always pictured rogues a more spellcaster-like than rangers. Give them most mage utility spells, and remove almost all mage spells from Rangers arsenal. Or introduce a new class: archer, which is basically a 5-blow warrior with rangers ability to use bow. Reduce ranger shots to one extra at clvl 25.

What to do with paladins....I find paladins boring. They need something that exclusive to them.

I also think that warrior extra blow should be like rangers extra blow, not dependent to weapon weight and STR/DEX calcs. Just start with one extra blow and use rangers/rogues calc for rest. Make them prefer heavier weapons from start.
                            Personally, I'm a big fan of symmetry, and would propose the following nine classes.

Holy school (tanky)
                            Priest (pure caster)
                            Paladin (hybrid)
                            Warrior (no spells)

Arcane school (offense)
                            Mage (pure caster)
                            Rogue (hybrid)
                            Assassin (no spells)

Nature school (summoning/buff)
                            Druid (pure caster)
                            Ranger (hybrid)
                            Archer (no spells)

Rogue would play similar to current rogue. Good utility, decent offense, very good device skill. Assassin would have high stealth and get incredible critical bonuses on unaware monsters. It would be similar to DCSS stabbing.

The nature school would take the most work. We don't have friendly monsters in the game yet, and those would probably needed to be added to make this work.

Comment

• Nomad
                              Knight
                              • Sep 2010

Level feelings could also use a rework to make them more flavourful/appropriate. Initially I think it would help just to do a straight replacement of the existing messages with ones that seem more like observations than psychic powers. (i.e., instead of "You feel anxious about this place", maybe "You hear marching patrols in the distance"; instead of "there are very good treasures here", maybe, "the monsters seem well-equipped and alert". And as I said elsewhere, I kinda want to see "Omens of death haunt this place" replaced by "Drums! Drums in the deep!")

But once the kinks are worked out of dungeon generation we should probably contemplate other, better ways to communicate risk/reward balance for a given level. As fizzix notes, if it's too immediately obvious whether a level is 'good' or 'bad', people are just going to skip the bad ones, but I don't think it's ideal to leave the player with no indication of possible rewards, either, because then they've got no motivation to ever risk sticking around to face dangerous situations. The current level feeling mechanic at least encourages the player to stay on the level and explore for a bit before they get a feel for whether it's worth clearing the whole thing or not, but maybe there are better, more organic ways to do that.

Comment

• Zireael
                                Adept
                                • Jul 2011

Let's keep rogues rogues (meaning stealth, traps, backstab) and make the fighter/mage arcane cross something else. Warmage, spellblade, bladesinger, whatever...

That said, the nine classes idea is GREAT!

EDIT: Also +1 to utilizing new Shockbolt tiles and to changing level feelings.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎