Draebor, the imp

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • werepacman
    Scout
    • Feb 2015
    • 46

    Draebor, the imp

    Can't imagime how people played Angband before internet era.
    Unknown monster can instakill or be weak from previous level.

    I can't find information on Draebor, the imp.
    How dangerous he is for 35 lvl mage and what distant attacks does he use?
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009
    • 9022

    #2
    I suggest you turn on the "cheat" option to know full monster memory, or look up spoilers, or find a Rod of Probing and use it on unknown monsters (as a distant third option). Draebor is, if I recall correctly, more annoying than dangerous, with teleport/summoning spells and a thieving melee attack.

    Comment

    • MattB
      Veteran
      • Mar 2013
      • 1214

      #3
      He's a pushover, IF you can get enough damage in quickly. Either he can tele-level you, or it's just that he tends to be surrounded by imps which can. It's very annoying to kill him (and he seems to drop loads) and then be forced permanently off the level before you can pick up the loot. One of the more interesting uniques, in my opinion, and comes with a good Angband history (wasn't Draebor the first winner of Angband, or something?)

      Comment

      • Thraalbee
        Knight
        • Sep 2010
        • 707

        #4
        The oook vanilla spoiler section hasn't been updated in quite a while but most monsters are the same as in the older releases.



        Alternatively you can always lookup the exact monster definition in your current lib\edit\monsters.txt file. It is a bit cryptic but the start of the file has explanations. W:28 means native to level 28 for example.

        Code:
        N:307:Draebor, the Imp
        T:minor demon
        C:v
        I:120:520:20:75:10
        W:28:5:0:750
        B:HIT:POISON:3d4
        B:HIT:POISON:3d4
        B:HIT:HURT:3d4
        B:INSULT
        F:UNIQUE | INVISIBLE | SMART
        F:DROP_4 | DROP_GOOD | ONLY_ITEM
        F:RAND_25 | BASH_DOOR
        F:FORCE_SLEEP
        S:1_IN_5
        S:BLIND | BLINK | CONF | SCARE | TELE_AWAY | TELE_LEVEL
        S:TELE_TO | TPORT
        S:S_KIN
        friends-base:50:1d3:minor demon
        friends-base:50:1d3:minor demon
        friends-base:50:1d3:minor demon
        friends:100:2d4:Imp
        D:An intensely irritating git of a monster.

        Comment

        • Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009
          • 9022

          #5
          Originally posted by MattB
          One of the more interesting uniques, in my opinion, and comes with a good Angband history (wasn't Draebor the first winner of Angband, or something?)
          He was someone who annoyed the original devs, if I recall correctly, which is why they a) made him annoying to fight, and b) made the reward for beating him so attractive, so people would seek him out to kill him.

          Comment

          • Timo Pietilä
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007
            • 4096

            #6
            Originally posted by werepacman
            Can't imagime how people played Angband before internet era.
            Unknown monster can instakill or be weak from previous level.
            Once you learn the rules of the game, you don't need any monster information. In short it doesn't matter what the monster can do (in the frame of game rules) and you can handle it.

            We should really make those rules a bit more transparent to newbies.

            Comment

            • werepacman
              Scout
              • Feb 2015
              • 46

              #7
              Funny background behind this monster.
              Now I regret I didn't fight him.

              Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
              Once you learn the rules of the game, you don't need any monster information. In short it doesn't matter what the monster can do (in the frame of game rules) and you can handle it.

              We should really make those rules a bit more transparent to newbies.
              What rules do you reffere to?

              From my experience combat could be completely different depending on knoing monster abilities.

              For example I killed deamon who breathes 15000 fire above my usual resistances. Knowing this I equiped firestar and it was easy kill.

              Comment

              • Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007
                • 4096

                #8
                Originally posted by werepacman
                What rules do you reffere to?

                From my experience combat could be completely different depending on knoing monster abilities.

                For example I killed deamon who breathes 15000 fire above my usual resistances. Knowing this I equiped firestar and it was easy kill.
                Nothing makes that much damage.

                ruleset is how angband world works. What kind of damage and how much from which kind of thing. You don't need to know exact damage, but you get a pretty accurate sense of things if you learn how the world works.

                For example, all dragons and zephyr hounds have breath-weapon. You can expect nether from undeads. Law, chaos and balance -things breathe shard/sound, chaos/disenchantment and combo of those. Demons vary a lot, but if it is deep major demon, it probably has at least one big damage weapon in it's arsenal.

                Spell damages depend on monster native depth, not monster physical size or HP. Deep humanoid or odd undead can be deadly even when at single star HP.

                Stunning can KO you, you get saving throw against paralyzation

                and so on. Things like that.

                Of course once you learn what monster can and cannot do you can be more precise of your method of dealing with it, you don't then need as big error margin, but you should play with that margin as long as you don't know what you are dealing with. Learning that is part of the game.

                Comment

                • werepacman
                  Scout
                  • Feb 2015
                  • 46

                  #9
                  I checked and this was Balorg of Moria with 1000 fire damage breath not 15000 but enogh to kill unprepared caster.

                  Comment

                  • rebroad
                    Rookie
                    • Jul 2024
                    • 1

                    #10
                    Originally posted by MattB
                    He's a pushover, IF you can get enough damage in quickly. Either he can tele-level you, or it's just that he tends to be surrounded by imps which can. It's very annoying to kill him (and he seems to drop loads) and then be forced permanently off the level before you can pick up the loot. One of the more interesting uniques, in my opinion, and comes with a good Angband history (wasn't Draebor the first winner of Angband, or something?)
                    No, Draebor was an anagram of my username at Warwick University - I was considered to be very annoying at University, and so they named the character after me!

                    Comment

                    • Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007
                      • 9610

                      #11
                      Originally posted by rebroad

                      No, Draebor was an anagram of my username at Warwick University - I was considered to be very annoying at University, and so they named the character after me!
                      It's a pleasure to welcome Angband royalty (?) to the forum
                      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

                      Comment

                      • MITZE
                        Swordsman
                        • Jan 2017
                        • 283

                        #12
                        How did Quylthulgs come to be, while we have you here?
                        Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

                        I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎