Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Djabanete
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

>> and getting potentially-destroyable items I'm standing on away from a monster whose breath attacks could hit them.

Derakon: nothing makes me feel more like a pro than dropping my rations on the floor beneath me (if I won't need to move around) or throwing them across the room (if I will) when trying to get rid of some food-eating ghost.

Edit: Also, if you're fighting an orc/troll pit and you have no useful moves (i.e. you were going to press "."), you can throw the weapons at them that they've been dropping at your feet. This feels good. Is there a chance for the weapons to break? I don't do this very often so I haven't seen it happen.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

There was a time about FAangband 0.2.2 when it was fashionable to go for a comedy kill by throwing a wand or something at a unique to finish them off.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Bogatyr
        Knight
        • Feb 2014

for characters with slow pseudo-ID at low levels I like to throw unID'd weapons at monsters to get a chance for learning more about them if I can't just carry them around for a while. It's also not a bad way to "soften up" enemies early on before finding a good missile launcher

Comment

• Derakon
          Prophet
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Bogatyr
          for characters with slow pseudo-ID at low levels I like to throw unID'd weapons at monsters to get a chance for learning more about them if I can't just carry them around for a while. It's also not a bad way to "soften up" enemies early on before finding a good missile launcher
          On a related note, you can learn the bonuses on a launcher by throwing it at something. Turns out that +hit and +damage on a launcher also help you throw it harder and more accurately.

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Do iron spikes work as throwing weapons?

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by wobbly
              I'm pretty sure that every item in the game does 1d1 base damage when thrown, except for weapons/ammo (which use their normal damage dice) and flasks of oil (which are 2d4 or something, plus a fire brand).

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
                Yes, but only weak ones. Also those don't exist in 3.5.

Door jamming is gone AFAIK mostly because monsters can break thru jammed doors too easily for that to make any difference. Maybe it comes back once we get a bit more intelligence in door handling, maybe different kinds of doors and stuff. Or not.

I wish there would be a wizard lock spell which can close and lock a door from distance. Could make handling breeders easier. Also fits the angband theme, Gandalf could both open and lock/jam doors using magic. Could also allow a bit more diverse tactics in sticky situation.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
                  I'm pretty sure that every item in the game does 1d1 base damage when thrown, except for weapons/ammo (which use their normal damage dice) and flasks of oil (which are 2d4 or something, plus a fire brand).
                  Checking object.txt some items make more than 1d1 for some reason (like iron helm) and most don't make any damage at all (no P: line at all). Iron spike is 1d1.

hmmm...Sleep, blindness, confusion, poison and slowness potions make 3d4 damage when thrown. That actually changes my (very early) game, I have previously always squelched those immediately (or otherwise ignored them before squelch), I have never thought about using those as throwing weapons. 3d4 equals unenchanted longbow with normal arrows.

Comment

• Raajaton
                    Swordsman
                    • May 2012

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                    hmmm...Sleep, blindness, confusion, poison and slowness potions make 3d4 damage when thrown. That actually changes my (very early) game, I have previously always squelched those immediately (or otherwise ignored them before squelch), I have never thought about using those as throwing weapons. 3d4 equals unenchanted longbow with normal arrows.
                    Those are quite effective in the early game. I have made great use of them myself. I generally squelch them once I have found a decent launcher, but until then they really help you get more value out of those early dungeon levels.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎