X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ingwe Ingweron
    Veteran
    • Jan 2009

Reducing Turncount

Help! My turncount is always far too high. I think I run back and forth too much. In the early levels, I'm trying to get item knowledge cleaned up and probably clearing levels too much. Later, I don't know, but clearly I'm doing something wrong. How do you all keep the turncount so low?
    “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
    ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead
  • PowerWyrm
    Prophet
    • Apr 2008

Easy: avoid resting for zillion turns using the default option. When you need to rest, enter a fixed turncount, like 10 or 20, and let the character regain the rest of the hps while walking around.
    PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• LostTemplar
      Knight
      • Aug 2009

Never rest, dive, don't do irrelevant things, don't farm levels before dlvl 98, don't recall a lot.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

Try turning on forced descent; it'll make it so you can only do each level at most once. This is still plenty to get you geared up for the endgame, but will put a limit on grinding, if that's an issue for you. You can still access the town if you want, using Word of Recall.

Comment

• fizzix
          Prophet
          • Aug 2009

Gameplay-wise. Don't rest, ever (unless you are an early game mage). You heal while walking. It's far more efficient to take a down stair than explore an unknown area on the other side of the level.

Personally, I would prefer it if town turns didn't count towards the player's turn count, but since they do, it's easy to optimize the town turns. The first thing to do is check the inventory of shops, not by walking to them, but by using the ~ menu. Then you can plan a reasonably efficient trip getting everything you need. If you need to hop to the other side of town, and you *really really* care about turn count, consider teleporting. I know that when Eddie was really trying to drop turncount, he would regenerate towns until he got one where the home was near the downstair.

Comment

• MattB
            Veteran
            • Mar 2013

Originally posted by fizzix
            The first thing to do is check the inventory of shops, not by walking to them, but by using the ~ menu. Then you can plan a reasonably efficient trip getting everything you need.
            Life's too short.
            In fact, for most of my characters it's really very short indeed.

Comment

• Nick
              Vanilla maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Alternatively, just stop caring about turncount
              One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
              In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• fizzix
                Prophet
                • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                Alternatively, just stop caring about turncount
                Can't wait until I slip in a sil inspired turncount based counter when you're not looking.

Comment

• Derakon
                  Prophet
                  • Dec 2009

Can't wait until I slip in a sil inspired turncount based counter when you're not looking.
                  Every day that passes, your effective depth for everything is increased by 100', until on day 50 Morgoth spawns in the town. See, it's not that you're attacking Morgoth in his dungeon; it's that the "dungeon" is actually a labyrinth in between the town and Morgoth's home base. Just as you go to meet him, so he is coming to meet you...

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

I'm always looking
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• fizzix
                      Prophet
                      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Nick
                      I'm always looking
                      Nick McConnell:
                      He is the master of the code. On his shoulders rest the entirety of the dungeon of Angband. Nothing that enters or leaves evades his eyes. This evil creature is found on all depths, and moves incredibly quickly but does not deign to chase intruders. He can bore through code and push past weaker developers. He resists any and all gameplay changes. He cannot be frightened, confused, or slept. He is ever vigilant for new code contributions, which he may notice from anywhere on earth. He may cast spells intelligently which import from FA (100), break tests (200), and generalize code (100) 1 time in 3. He can hit to refactor (10d10), hit to refactor (10d10), and insult.

Comment

• Derakon
                        Prophet
                        • Dec 2009

Code:
                        Nick hits you. You resist the effects!
                        Nick hits you. You feel strange...your quiver is in your inventory now!
                        Nick says "FA did it better."
                        You hit Nick. You miss Nick. You hit Nick. You have slain Nick. Welcome to level 47.
                        The dungeon starts to collapse... You are pummeled with debris!
                        Your body is crushed between the floor and ceiling! You have died.

Comment

• debo
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by derakon
                          Code:
                          nick hits you. You resist the effects!
                          Nick hits you. You feel strange...your quiver is in your inventory now!
                          Nick says "fa did it better."
                          you hit nick. You miss nick. You hit nick. You have slain nick. Welcome to level 47.
                          The dungeon starts to collapse... You are pummeled with debris!
                          Your body is crushed between the floor and ceiling! You have died.
                          yes please
                          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• fizzix
                            Prophet
                            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                            Code:
                            You have slain Nick.
                            Does that mean, you're the new maintainer?

Comment

• Derakon
                              Prophet
                              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by debo
                              yes please
                              The thing I find amusing about this is that you apparently manually retyped my post rather than copy-and-paste it...

Does that mean, you're the new maintainer?
                              Good god no. Keep that thing away from me!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎