If you were a shopkeeper; which shop would you own?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

If you were a shopkeeper; which shop would you own?

Feel free to provide elaborate explanations of your decision. The choice is unfortunately limited by the forum to 9 shops --- if you'd prefer another, choose "Other" and post your choice.

Who, knows, one day you may find yourself running the shop you've chosen...

Edit: Stupid semicolons; how do I edit the topics?

Edit2: The poll is public, so everybody will know your intimate shop-owning passions.
    General Store
    0%
    Armoury
    0%
    Weapon Smith
    0%
    Temple
    0%
    Alchemist
    0%
    Magic Shop
    0%
    Black Market
    0%
    Funeral Home 'Ironman'
    0%
    Library
    0%
    Other
    0%
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

I picked the temple mainly because my favorite class is the paladin. I would have chosen the library except it doesn't seem right for me to chose library when I rarely play a variant that has a library (though I do play steamband sometimes). Definetly not the weapon and armor stores because they hardly get any business.
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Anne
      Adept
      • Feb 2008

For me, it was between Library and General Store. I own far more books than I have shelves to store them on - I have piles of them in corners and on most horizontal surfaces in my home. On the other hand, I spend the bulk of my time cooking and baking, and very few people manage to leave my house until after I've fed them. I bake my own version of Elvish waybread every few days. So I picked General store, since that's where the waybread and other food items are sold.

Comment

• Nick
        Vanilla maintainer
        • Apr 2007

Had to be the Weapon Smith. All those nice shiny swords...
        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

The general store, without a doubt. Who could pass up the only store that consistently keeps a well stocked larder of ale, fine wine and biscuits? The general store even pays for mushrooms...
          You are on something strange

Comment

• rawuest
            Rookie
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
            Feel free to provide elaborate explanations of your decision. The choice is unfortunately limited by the forum to 9 shops --- if you'd prefer another, choose "Other" and post your choice.

Who, knows, one day you may find yourself running the shop you've chosen...

Edit: Stupid semicolons; how do I edit the topics?

Edit2: The poll is public, so everybody will know your intimate shop-owning passions.
            The black market

you get to see everybody enter your doors on a regular basis
            it is the most profitable shop
            and the only shopkeeper in the game who could claim he has touched almost every artifact ever created

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
              Knight
              • May 2007

Have to be the weaponsmiths, would love to see all nice weapons coming in. I believe I would take a dwarf, since i'm a little short but stocky, and have a rather bulldozer over you type attitude. Plus they can never be blinded, would get to get rid of my contacts!

Comment

• takkaria
                Veteran
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
                Feel free to provide elaborate explanations of your decision. The choice is unfortunately limited by the forum to 9 shops --- if you'd prefer another, choose "Other" and post your choice. .
                Alchemist, because I'm always tweaking and fiddling with Angband and producing messy explosions on the newsgroup.
                takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• Narvius
                  Knight
                  • Dec 2007

Black Market. He has everything you need!
                  If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Bandobras
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Where are all those sworn Ironman people? Come on, there is something here for you, too.

Comment

• Seany C
                      Swordsman
                      • Apr 2007

Library for me - I can continue my worryingly convincing Bernard Black impersonation...

Comment

• Bandobras
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

Thank you for participating in this and the other poll. That was a lot of fun already and the booths will be open indefinitely.

Seeing how interesting your explanations are I also took the liberty to give away a few shops to the participants (11 brand new shops in total). I decided to give 1 shop to every person who, up to this moment, wrote any explanations about both his or her choice of store and of race. Collect your shops at the nearest release of Unangband (this will be called beta2, most probably, available quite soon, I hope). You may have to wander around the wilderness a bit to find the town where your store is located.

Any complaints about missing shops or misrepresented racial or shopping preferences will be received on this thread. Please do not file bug reports on Berlios. If your shop is in a town that gets destroyed --- no refunds. You should know better than getting lazy and letting the town go down in ruins.

To protect your privacy, I sometimes changed or obfuscated some details or naming, but everybody has his requested store somewhere --- just find it and then defeat the evil powers to save the world and your shop...
                        Last edited by Bandobras; March 8, 2008, 20:22.

Comment

• Narvius
                          Knight
                          • Dec 2007

A weapon crafter, who sells services of branding, enchanting and proofing, but only for weapons would be superawesome. =D
                          If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Arendil
                            Apprentice
                            • Jun 2007

Black market, obviously. You can get anything that can appear in all other stores, but of better quality. Best income too. Total randomness means that whether you are interested in books, shiny weapons, drinks or whatever, you can get it all in one shop.

Comment

• Whelk
                              Adept
                              • Jun 2007

I'd own a shop dedicated to mushrooms. I have a strange fascination with mushrooms due to many things, including culinary interest, respect for their extremely powerful poisons and their mysterious reputation in lore both real and fantasy.

Honestly, is there anything you need that a mushroom couldn't take care of? In the 'Band universe, I mean. They can cure ailments, be thrown with lethality (aim for the enemy's mouth!), or just be eaten for sustenance. Let's hear it for mushrooms.

Oh, and as a store-owning mushroomsmith I'd be a hobbit, of course.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎