X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Angband 3.3.0 is out

With apologies to Zikke for the delay, Angband 3.3.0 will very shortly be available at rephial.org. The summary of the major changes is here and the full changelog since 3.2.0 is here.

Thank you for your patience. It is of course not perfect, and there will doubtless be a string of quickly-found bugs, but I hope they aren't of the showstopping variety (think 3.2.0's leather boots or 3.1.0's heavy curses). Depending on how many and how quickly, there will be a 3.3.1 release at some point in the autumn.

The 3.4 dev versions will diverge very soon, as there are a number of significant balance changes stacked up as pull requests, some of which are already in staging. Stacks of objects, summoning, pits and stealth will all play quite differently quite soon. 3.4 will see a number of other major changes, as we gradually improve the balance (I know a lot of players still find the game quite hard, but we are aiming for a return to earlier levels of difficulty while keeping all the good ideas and code improvements).

Right, I'm off to start my million-run stats collection so we can finally benchmark the next version against this one and understand *exactly* what effects we've had on item generation.

EDIT: please post actual or suspected bug reports in their own threads in this forum. (New threads not necessary for gripes or likes though.)
    Last edited by Magnate; August 1, 2011, 07:03.
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

Woohoo!! Thank you for finishing it up! I'm going to dig into this immediately.
    Last edited by Zikke; August 1, 2011, 06:24.
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Max Stats
      Swordsman
      • Jun 2010

Cool, now everyone can start screaming about everything they want for 3.4.0!
      If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

• Antoine
        Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
        • Nov 2007

Nice work.

> there will be a 3.3.1 release at some point in the autumn.

Are you referring to "spring"?

Also, do you have a vague schedule for 3.4? It sounds like there is a lot of coding work already done - perhaps it might be possible to release 3.4 comparatively soon?

A.
        Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• CunningGabe
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Antoine
          Nice work.

> there will be a 3.3.1 release at some point in the autumn.

Are you referring to "spring"?
          How about "sometime between the next equinox and the following solstice"?

Comment

• APWhite
            Adept
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by CunningGabe
            How about "sometime between the next equinox and the following solstice"?
            Durin's Day! I just read that part of The Hobbit to my boys.
            St George Chiropractor
            Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• Dughfo
              Rookie
              • Jun 2011

Maybe I'm just missing it, but is the option to hide labels in equipment listing still around? Thanks, and the game looks great!

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dughfo
                Maybe I'm just missing it, but is the option to hide labels in equipment listing still around?
                Apparently not. I miss that too, because now I don't see the entire item in the screen.

Comment

• qwerty
                  Rookie
                  • Dec 2010

Hi,
                  Do you still want the help files in pdf format, if so I am still happy to do them for you but do need a couple of days and the new files.
                  Thanks for the new version.

Comment

• Nomad
                    Knight
                    • Sep 2010

Hey, not so much a bug as an oversight, but the 3.3.0 release still doesn't have the updated version of my tileset included.

Comment

• Magnate
                      Angband Devteam member
                      • May 2007

Originally posted by qwerty
                      Hi,
                      Do you still want the help files in pdf format, if so I am still happy to do them for you but do need a couple of days and the new files.
                      Thanks for the new version.
                      Hi Qwerty - your help files are included with 3.3.0! In fact it's the very last thing we did - there's now a new make target ("make manual") to build the pdf from your LaTeX files. So - many, many thanks for this - and to myshkin, who did all the heavy lifting incorporating your work into the master repo (and updating the text to 3.3).

Having said that, I notice that the Windows download at rephial doesn't actually contain the built PDF. I'll ask takk to fix this and upload a version which does.

On the issue of future updates, we obviously want to avoid having two sources of help files and the associated sync problems. For 3.4 my hope is that the source tarball will *only* contain the .tex files, and that the build system will build both the PDF and the in-game help (which may or may not be in HTML by then). Are you interested in maintaining the content of the help files? (Feel free to say no to this, as your work on the conversion is plenty.)
                      "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Magnate
                        Angband Devteam member
                        • May 2007

Originally posted by Nomad
                        Hey, not so much a bug as an oversight, but the 3.3.0 release still doesn't have the updated version of my tileset included.
                        ARGH!! Sorry about that - I could have sworn it was included. They'll definitely definitely be in 3.3.1 - I've created ticket #1498 to make sure I don't forget again.

Sorry - and thanks for the contribution!

Comment

• Nomad
                          Knight
                          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Magnate
                          ARGH!! Sorry about that - I could have sworn it was included. They'll definitely definitely be in 3.3.1 - I've created ticket #1498 to make sure I don't forget again.

Sorry - and thanks for the contribution!
                          No problem - thanks!

Comment

• Tobias
                            Adept
                            • Dec 2009

So the most annoying bug for me is still in.... (#1460)
                            Could you make a list of bugs which were bumped to the next version next time?

I am also planning to record a new tutorial video now that 3.3 is out. Please tell me if there is something you think I should mention.
                            My Angband videos : http://www.youtube.com/view_play_lis...385E85F31166B2

Comment

• Raggy
                              Apprentice
                              • May 2011

I might be blind, but this is not on the download page.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎