X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Magnate
    Angband Devteam member
    • May 2007

Where to report bugs

Hi Pav - out of respect for your dislike of stickies, I moved this into the FAQ, so you can delete this thread!
    Last edited by Magnate; August 8, 2011, 14:29. Reason: Moved into FAQ
    "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles
  • Max Stats
    Swordsman
    • Jun 2010

What about a sticky thread in each forum dedicated to bug reports? Would that work better?
    If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Then you'd have each bug in the same thread, which can make reports harder to track down.

Comment

• Magnate
        Angband Devteam member
        • May 2007

Originally posted by Derakon
        Then you'd have each bug in the same thread, which can make reports harder to track down.
        People tend to report bugs in the thread announcing/describing the version they're playing (May 22nd nightly, or whatever), but I think it would be more helpful if each bug had its own thread. Then it would be easier to see if it had been reported already.
        "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Since development is so active and bugs are so common, why not just a Forum Sub-Heading for Vanilla Bugs, then each bug can indeed have it's own thread (and you wouldn't have to rely on the 'forum search' to find it cause it probably wouldn't get buried very deep), Pav permitting.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
            Since development is so active and bugs are so common, why not just a Forum Sub-Heading for Vanilla Bugs, then each bug can indeed have it's own thread (and you wouldn't have to rely on the 'forum search' to find it cause it probably wouldn't get buried very deep), Pav permitting.
            Well if we can do sub-fora, let's just have one for each version! Then you'd report it in the Vanilla/3.3.0 subforum, or whatever, and it would all be very neat indeed. The top-level Vanilla forum for feature discussion, and the sub-fora for bugs. (And the AAR forum for AARs, of course.)

Comment

• pav
              Administrator
              • Apr 2007

Sounds like section creep. Not my idea of useful wrt forums.
              See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Max Stats
                Swordsman
                • Jun 2010

How about a sticky topic in Development and Vanilla detailing the requested procedure for posting bug reports in each forum. Such as:
                • Development is for bugs in nightlies, Vanilla is for bugs in releases.
                • Come up with a list of tags similar to the one used in the issue tracker that are requested to be put on a bug report to make tracking and searching easier.
                • Teach newbies how to search the topics and use the aforementioned tags to see if a bug has been reported before before posting a new report.
                • Give guidance for when to use the issue tracker and when to post to the forums to report issues.
                • Anything else anyone can think of?
                If beauty is in the eye of the beholder, then why are beholders so freaking ugly?

Comment

• pav
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2007

Max, one observation: don't bother coming up with complex rules like these. Regular people will just not bother following them.
                  See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Max Stats
                    Swordsman
                    • Jun 2010

Originally posted by pav
                    Max, one observation: don't bother coming up with complex rules like these. Regular people will just not bother following them.
                    I guess we could hope we have lots of irregular people here?

Comment

• jens
                      Swordsman
                      • Apr 2011

Originally posted by pav
                      In general I agree.

Originally posted by Max Stats
                      I guess we could hope we have lots of irregular people here?
                      I think this is somewhat true, Angband is a special game, and might well attract strange folk... But I guess it's not quite enough to counter pav's statement...

Comment

• OOD Town drunk
                        Adept
                        • Feb 2013

While spelunking in the depths of Angband, I noticed the following: In the description of the Staff of the Magi, there is a lack of adequate spacing between the words mana and points. It looks like manapoints. Unless that is the correct spelling. But how is SP=manapoints? Isn't it spell points? Now I am curious if it is called mana points elsewhere.

Anyway, I hope this is the right place to place this piece of peaceful pizza. Did I say peaceful pizza? I meant information.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by OOD Town drunk
                          While spelunking in the depths of Angband, I noticed the following: In the description of the Staff of the Magi, there is a lack of adequate spacing between the words mana and points. It looks like manapoints. Unless that is the correct spelling. But how is SP=manapoints? Isn't it spell points? Now I am curious if it is called mana points elsewhere.
                          Manapoints and spellpoints are usual ways to write those things. It is a name of the concept.
                          Point of mana is one manapoint. How much mana, or how many manapoints.

Spellpoint I think is a bit less clear naming because "point of spell" doesn't really make any sense. Neither does spell point, unless there is some point of space/time to make/cast/use a spell.

Comment

• ekolis
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

It's not points of spell, it's points used to cast spells. But yeah, the naming could be more consistent...
                            You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                            You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                            The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Oramin
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2012

Ok, are we supposed to report bugs here or is this supposed to be informing us where to report bugs? As it is I'm just going to mention it in that long thread I started.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎