X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Northern
    Rookie
    • Dec 2010

How did you find Angband?

Hi all. I wanted to make a thread to share my thoughts on Angband, and also to find out how everyone discovered it.

I've been a gamer since the tender age of, well, ever since I can remember. I've obviously played many games over my lifespan. I was always into adventure games, and have always been looking for the deepest, most complex RPG-type games I could find.

About a year ago, I found out about roguelikes one day while perusing the internet, and was instantly intrigued. I wondered how these types of games had evaded me for this long. They looked to be deeper and more detailed than any I'd ever played. I gave them a quick try, but for some reason, the awesomeness didn't kick in at first.

Months passed, and being increasingly jaded with mainstream game releases and they're lack of true gameplay, I once again decided to give roguelikes another go.

Then I found ANGBAND, and it clicked. I had found what I was looking for. This game is so deceptively simple, yet infinitely complex. I know I am basically telling all of you something you already know, but I wanted to put my thoughts out there for all.

Oh and DAMN this game is addicting.

Angband for life.
  • dos350
    Knight
    • Sep 2010

i play hardcore d2 alot and like hardcore style game, id played doomrl and dwarf fortress but way back in the day someone told me i dont like diablo i play angband .. a few months ago after knowing about game name for years i dl and try it, is greatest game out, eek!
    ~eek

Reality hits you -more-

S+++++++++++++++++++

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

A workmate brought the borg screensaver in to work, and I got curious and downloaded it. Played with savescumming at first, then realised it was more fun without.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Derakon
        Prophet
        • Dec 2009

I got Moria...somewhere...I don't remember where. I was around 10 at the time. Lots of fun, though I had little clue what I was doing. Then awhile later I got "Angband 1.0", a Mac port of frog-knows, I think off of one of those "hundreds of shareware programs" CDs.

Comment

• APWhite
          Adept
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Nick
          A workmate brought the borg screensaver in to work, and I got curious and downloaded it.
          Sorry about getting you hooked.

I found Moria on a 3M employee bulletin board in 1990 (ya, I'm that old). It was before Al Gore invented the internet. Started playing then. Then moved to Angband 2.4 Frog Knows in about '92. I started maintaining the borg in 1995. I have been the borg (screensaver) guy ever since.
          St George Chiropractor
          Angband Borg Homepage

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by APWhite
            Sorry about getting you hooked.
            I'm more concerned with the damage you've inflicted on the *banding community by introducing me to it
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• d_m
              Angband Devteam member
              • Aug 2008

I first downloaded Moria and Angband from the Info Mac archives when I was in middle school (in the early 90's I think)... but I didn't really understand the game. I tried playing it off and on but only really figured it out in college (about 8 years later); I subsequently became obsessed with Cthangband.

EDIT: I just checked the MIT Info-Mac HyperArchive on the Wayback Machine and don't see Moria or Angband. I got them through some kind of Mac shareware page or disk... I just can't remember which one.
              Last edited by d_m; December 30, 2010, 06:58.
              linux->xterm->screen->pmacs

Comment

• camlost
                Sangband 1.x Maintainer
                • Apr 2007

I was introduced to it by my college roommate. And that was that.
                a chunk of Bronze {These look tastier than they are. !E}
                3 blank Parchments (Vellum) {No french novels please.}

Comment

• Magnate
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • May 2007

Originally posted by camlost
                  I was introduced to it by my college roommate. And that was that.
                  A friend at university introduced me to Moria, which was far more engrossing than the 8-bit sprite games of its time. I left university just before Angband was written, and discovered it on the recommendation of a fellow VGAPlanets player in 2000 (our correspondence had wandered off VGAP onto fantasy games we liked). I'm not quite sure how I failed to discover it for its first eight years.
                  "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Twilight
                    Apprentice
                    • Jan 2009

I remember seeing Moria being played by one of my friends at his dorm, but forgot about wanting to try it out. Then in the mid- (early?) 90-ies another friend introduced me to the old variant FAngband IIRC, (not to be mixed up with the "recent" variant FAangband) and played it for a summer or so.

It's not until 1997 I got really hooked on Angband and have played it on and off ever since then. I mostly played Zangband early on, but tried out most other variants of course, later on NPP was the default, but now vanilla is about it when I play ... which I do periodically. Can't stay away for long.
                    It's better to burn out than to fade away!

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

I got Moria off a public domain disk for my Amiga nearly 20 years ago I guess. I wore out my escape key re-rolling characters (no autoroller or points distribution in those days and I was certainly not hardcore enough to take the first one I rolled). A friend then told me about Angband around 10 years ago.

Comment

• topazg
                        Scout
                        • Nov 2010

I played Hack in the very late 80s, but wasn't very good at it and kept getting killed by my dog. Loved the idea though. I switched to Moria within a year or so, and found the game more interesting with shops, but missed the shops in the dungeon! I got into frog-knows very early 90s, and have been here ever since really.

It's very rarely managed to be my #1 time-waster, but it's without a doubt the one that has stayed in the charts for the longest, and is still there ...

Comment

• Adley
                          Adept
                          • Feb 2010

That's how.
                          Originally posted by Derakon
                          Sadly, every character ever created in Angband was given a magnifying glass by their eccentric uncle for their fifth birthday...

Comment

• relic
                            Apprentice
                            • Oct 2010

I first discovered Moria on Vax in late 80:s studying computer-science. I then moved on to Moria for Macintosh, and reading the Moria news-group in the early 90:s, people were suddenly writing about this new variant of Moria called Angband which was supposed to be awesome.
                            But I didn't get around to try it in depth until late 90:s, I think.
                            If you cannot answer a man's argument, all is not lost; you can still call him vile names. ~Elbert Hubbard

Comment

• LostTemplar
                              Knight
                              • Aug 2009

After winning ADOM many times, I have started trying all other roguelikes from RogueBasin, I have played vanilla for a while but found it not very exciting, then played many more roguelikes and band variants untill I have found FAangband.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎