• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • klassik
    Apprentice
    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by debo
    Moraff's World and Dungeons of the Unforgiven
    i remember making clvl 10 characters with stats in the triple digits in unforgiven. (making the monk the only challenge character since puffballs are the only stat gain method available it)

easy stat building through use of intentional lvl drains, stat pills, and puffballs.

after i stopped stat building, my physical damage never went below 10 for the rest of the game.

you won't see me shining up my floor slosher anytime soon
    He did the mash.
    He did the morgoth mash.
    The morgoth mash.
    It was an angband smash.

Comment

• Raajaton
      Swordsman
      • May 2012

I first discovered the game probably around '97 or '98 by watching my friend's dad play it on an old terminal machine. I thought the game looked interesting so I went home and started playing it myself. After a few months of play, my crowning achievement was getting to dl20. It was around that time that I found out that the final boss was at dl100, and I quickly wrote the game off as being impossible and didn't touch it again for a long time.

It wasn't until about 2008 or 2009 that I went over to that friend's house and saw him playing that my interest got rekindled. I downloaded the game that night and have been playing faithfully ever since. Maybe 2-3 years after that I got my first winner, and I still play off and on to this day.

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by klassik
        i remember making clvl 10 characters with stats in the triple digits in unforgiven. (making the monk the only challenge character since puffballs are the only stat gain method available it)

easy stat building through use of intentional lvl drains, stat pills, and puffballs.

after i stopped stat building, my physical damage never went below 10 for the rest of the game.

you won't see me shining up my floor slosher anytime soon
        Unforgiven confused me; I remember there being something with exponential increases in costs of everything that I had a hard time unravelling as a kid. Something about rescued orphans or some other really weird currency, I can't recall.
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

in 1993 i had been playing cyberpunk 2020
          Just realized that 2020 is just five years and couple of months away. It felt like distant future back then...

I need to reread the rulebook to see how far off it is. There was a add-on to 2020 that predicted a lot of things that later actually happened (like collapse of Soviet Union). I need to look at that too. Feels like 2020 might actually look like 2020 with the exception of bodyparts as accessories.

Comment

• klassik
            Apprentice
            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä

I need to reread the rulebook to see how far off it is. There was a add-on to 2020 that predicted a lot of things that later actually happened (like collapse of Soviet Union). I need to look at that too. Feels like 2020 might actually look like 2020 with the exception of bodyparts as accessories.
            i haven't been paying attention to current events, but i do remember the time line mentioning a central american conflict starting in 200x. and all corporations becoming more powerful than governments. how close is that to copying real life?
            He did the mash.
            He did the morgoth mash.
            The morgoth mash.
            It was an angband smash.

Comment

• klassik
              Apprentice
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by debo
              Unforgiven confused me; I remember there being something with exponential increases in costs of everything that I had a hard time unravelling as a kid. Something about rescued orphans or some other really weird currency, I can't recall.
              the more i'm remembering only the cost of weapons was static. just about everything else was an an exponential increase. which was obtainable by beating up monsters on a lower dlvl. orphans had to do with preventing the aging of a character during clvl gain (and to this day i fail to see how that would be possible). i still think it was wrong having to convert 100 american dollars to rubles. oh well, it was mindless fun. no thinking involved what so ever.

edit: forget what i said about orphans i am wrong. i'm correcting myself on a trivial matter. help me!!!!!!!!!!!
              Last edited by klassik; August 26, 2014, 17:45.
              He did the mash.
              He did the morgoth mash.
              The morgoth mash.
              It was an angband smash.

Comment

• Timo Pietilä
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

i haven't been paying attention to current events, but i do remember the time line mentioning a central american conflict starting in 200x. and all corporations becoming more powerful than governments. how close is that to copying real life?
                Too narrow timescale perhaps. Some corporations are already very powerful and capable of overhauling small countries if the want, but space isn't yet exploited. Once you get corporations in space mining asteroids, then traditional governments are history.

Comment

• Zikke
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2008

When I started playing, my then girlfriend didn't have any concept of what it was, and called it my "ant simulator".
                  A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
                  A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
                  C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• MattB
                    Veteran
                    • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Timo Pietilä
                    Too narrow timescale perhaps. Some corporations are already very powerful and capable of overhauling small countries if the want, but space isn't yet exploited. Once you get corporations in space mining asteroids, then traditional governments are history.
                    Microsoft's revenue is c. $25bn per annum. If it were a nation, measured against nations' GDP (and I've no idea if that's a valid comparison or not) would put it 99/194 in the list of countries (sandwiched between Paraguay and the Ivory Coast).

I find that quite scary.

Comment

• MadeOfBees
                      Scout
                      • Apr 2013

I honestly have no idea how I found this. Ive been playing Moria/Umoria/Angband for as long as I can remember. I think it was just a natural upgrade process as better versions came out.

Comment

• Einoel
                        Rookie
                        • Oct 2014

I think it was at the beginning of the 80's that someone showed me Moria. Bought a floppy disc, copied the game and was hooked on it. Spent too much time at school playing it. A few months ago I was watching The Hobbit and then I remembered that I used to play Moria, so googled and found Angband. And again I have to watch that I don't spent too much time on it.
                        The basic feeling is the same and all the familiar Mage commands came back quickly. Love all the extra spell books, artifacts and special monsters.
                        Just met an old friend (the Balrog of Moria) and it was nice to beat him again while knowing the game was 'just' getting started.

Comment

• Amnekian
                          Apprentice
                          • May 2013

In 2008 my brother got Shiren the Wanderer: Mystery Dungeon. After I learned the genre, I found out about Nethack in 2010 I think. After 3 years I ascended in Nethack and I wanted more, so I looked for the best. And that's how I found out about Angband. I gotta say, Angband has earned a really undeserving bad reputation among roguelike fans. People claimed that it is very grindy but I like to think of it as an open option. I beat Morgoth with craptacular gear I think and the endgame is very stressful and dangerous unlike Nethac

Comment

• Oraticus
                            Apprentice
                            • Sep 2014

I don't have the long and storied history with roguelikes like other posters. A friend of mine convinced me to try playing a roguelike on my android called "Pixel Dungeon". Shortly after starting that game, I noticed on the wiki for Pixel Dungeon that it was inspired by "Brogue", which I also got caught up in even so far as hosting a weekly competition for almost a year.

Along the way, I noticed Angband being mentioned, and as my time in Brogue wound down, I decided to pick up Angband and give it a spin. I've only played maybe a dozen characters, but I like the pace of the game, the challenge it provides, and the excitement you get from seeing (ego) or a artifact/randart name pop up when grabbing gear. I think this will be something I play casually for many years to come!
                            Last edited by Oraticus; November 5, 2014, 18:58.

Comment

• duduric
                              Rookie
                              • Jan 2013

I found the variant "Utumno" on a shareware games magazine CD around 10 years ago... it was a crippled copy and crashed after character generation, but I found it oddly intriguing, so I browsed around to see if a newer version was available and ended discovering Angband

Comment

• Jax
                                Rookie
                                • Jan 2014

played moria as a child (umoria i think). found the game fascinating and impossible.

few years back my brother found the game, showed me it, looked just like moria and ive been playing ever since. i tryhard the game now im older though

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎