X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Derakon
    Prophet
    • Dec 2009

Feature request: status column

Currently the last line in the main window is dedicated to status information, like speed, temporary resistances, hunger level, etc. I've noticed that I have difficulty looking at this line on a regular basis; this probably has something to do with playing with very large main windows so I can see a lot of the dungeon at a glance. My eyes usually don't end up in the vicinity of the status line, so I end up ignoring it; the messages that tell me about changes in my status often get missed in the heat of battle, too.

Then my character starts passing out from hunger...

One place I do check regularly is my hitpoint total, over on the left side of the display. It'd be nice if there were an option to put status information over there as well. It might not be feasible to always put status information there; I don't know how much extra room there is in the default display size. But there's plenty for those of us with larger main windows.
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

You can already do it as a subwindow and put it next to your hit points (although it's formatted to display horzontally).
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Derakon
      Prophet
      • Dec 2009

Hm, if I could shrink a window down to one line's worth, I'd put it right above where the messages go. Unfortunately the minimum window height is six lines (not counting window dressing) which is way too big.

That would be an alternative, though -- instead of putting the status at the bottom, put it at the top. That would require less reformatting of how things are drawn, and it's guaranteed to work just as well regardless of how big your main window is.

Comment

• kaypy
        Swordsman
        • May 2009

At least on the character-passing-out front, I sometimes hack in a patch to the map display so that the player-color-indicates-hitpoints has a color for "no damage, but hungry", (depending on how purist I am feeling on any given play through)

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

I've actually been thinking about this too. I'd like to see a vertical list on either the left or right side of the screen. I'd also like to see the statuses sorted. Statuses that are going to expire first should be listed first.

Code:
          Hungry
          Bless (13)
          Fast (46)
          Prot (113)
          Conf (117)
          Also, I also don't see why the remaining duration needs to be unknown to the player. It's fairly trivial information (and it could be roughly calculated and tracked with pencil and paper, though tedious).
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Magnate
            Angband Devteam member
            • May 2007

Originally posted by buzzkill
            I've actually been thinking about this too. I'd like to see a vertical list on either the left or right side of the screen. I'd also like to see the statuses sorted. Statuses that are going to expire first should be listed first.

Code:
            Hungry
            Bless (13)
            Fast (46)
            Prot (113)
            Conf (117)
            Also, I also don't see why the remaining duration needs to be unknown to the player. It's fairly trivial information (and it could be roughly calculated and tracked with pencil and paper, though tedious).
            No point reinventing the wheel - we should borrow/steal this from Sangband. It has a really customisable "left panel", where you can decide what occupies the space underneath your stats/exp/gold - using as many lines as your main window has left. So I usually have:

stealth/noise rating
            invisibility rating
            bless state
            hero/berserk state
            prot. from evil
            weather (druids only)
            quest status
            monster health - closest
            monster health - next closest

etc. etc.
            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Philip
              Knight
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by buzzkill

Code:
              Hungry
              Bless (13)
              Fast (46)
              Prot (113)
              Conf (117)
              Yeah, knowing the time remaining would be awesome.

Comment

• Zababa
                Apprentice
                • Sep 2009

I like both the idea of customizable panel and duration of effects. This duration could in fact involve satiation states as well. Show me how long are you going to be gorged, full, not hungry, hungry, starving, etc.

Comment

• Dean Anderson
                  Adept
                  • Nov 2009

I don't like the idea of telling the player exactly what durations they have left. It seems to be making it easier to plan your moves and re-castings. That kind of loses the point of the durations being randomised...

Comment

• Nick
                    Vanilla maintainer
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Dean Anderson
                    I don't like the idea of telling the player exactly what durations they have left. It seems to be making it easier to plan your moves and re-castings. That kind of loses the point of the durations being randomised...
                    Agreed. It's good to have the dilemma of when during the "poisoned and on single-digit HP" scenario you start quaffing un-ID'd potions
                    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• cinereaste
                      Scout
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by Nick
                      Agreed. It's good to have the dilemma of when during the "poisoned and on single-digit HP" scenario you start quaffing un-ID'd potions
                      Excellent point. Perhaps for the effects where the duration is known, we could include a turn count (or a range) and for the unknown durations we could just put in "unknown".

Example, after drinking one potion of heroism while poisoned:
                      Code:
                      Hero (26 - 50)
                      Poison (unknown)
                      30 turns later it could turn into:
                      Code:
                      Hero (0 - 20)
                      Poison (unknown)
                      And if you quaff another !Heroism:
                      Code:
                      Hero (26 - 69)
                      Poison (unknown)
                      This way we provide the player with information that he or she could track with a little effort, but don't give away unknowns.

Comment

• Zababa
                        Apprentice
                        • Sep 2009

... That kind of loses the point of the durations being randomised...
                        Oh, I did not know that most such things have randomized duration in Angband. That of course is nice and knowing the duration would spoil the fun.

Comment

• buzzkill
                          Prophet
                          • May 2008

I'd also like to see durations not stack for things like bless, and prot for evil, and other similar statuses. There has been a time or two when, faced with an overloaded bank account, I've purchased and read a stack of prot from evil scrolls while waiting for recall to kick in. Then, what must have been 1000's of turns later receiving, "you no longer feel safe from evil" message. Just seems silly to me.

Maybe put a hard limit on stacked duration or have subsequent applications be less effective than the previous.
                          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.

Comment

• pampl
                            RePosBand maintainer
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by cinereaste
                            Excellent point. Perhaps for the effects where the duration is known, we could include a turn count (or a range) and for the unknown durations we could just put in "unknown".

Example, after drinking one potion of heroism while poisoned:
                            Code:
                            Hero (26 - 50)
                            Poison (unknown)
                            30 turns later it could turn into:
                            Code:
                            Hero (0 - 20)
                            Poison (unknown)
                            And if you quaff another !Heroism:
                            Code:
                            Hero (26 - 69)
                            Poison (unknown)
                            This way we provide the player with information that he or she could track with a little effort, but don't give away unknowns.
                            I really like this way of doing it.

Comment

• buzzkill
                              Prophet
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by Nick
                              Agreed, but a RARE event to be sure, and...

I really don't see this (perfect duration knowledge) as any different as the player knowing the exact edge of his trap detection area, which I enjoy in practice but don't like thematically.

I guess, either more of the same, or none of the above is what I'm getting at.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍