X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • R3_1415
    Rookie
    • Aug 2021

No books in Magic Shop.

So I've started playing this game again v.4.5.2. I used to play several earlier versions, but sadly do not remember what they were. In the latest version I cannot seem to find any spellbooks in the magic shop and was wondering if this is a 'feature' now or just really bad luck. Previous versions seemed to always have many copies of the four basic mage books. I have been back to town a half dozen times and have not seen a single book of any kind anywhere in town. I am currently level 10 and can gain many new spells, but I cannot seem to find the next spellbooks. This is severely hampering my ability to progress since the monsters at about level 7 or 8 have gotten tough enough that magic missile isn't cutting it.

As a side note on the topic of books, when were the spell books changed from the classic layout. The starting book has fireball at level 6 when that used to be in book 4 as level 18 iirc. I would like to go back to that version, but not sure which one that is.

Thank you in advance
  • Cryomaniac
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2022

Books are now sold at the Bookseller, which is now the '4' store; Temple potions/scrolls are now sold at the Alchemy Shop.

Comment

• R3_1415
      Rookie
      • Aug 2021

I didn't see a bookseller. Just the standard shops plus Black Market. I will check again tonight.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
        Swordsman
        • Jan 2022

The bookseller replaces the temple shop - it's the green '4' store now.

Comment

• R3_1415
          Rookie
          • Aug 2021

Is there a setting that effects this change? I still have the Temple that sells potions and scrolls.

Comment

• Cryomaniac
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2022

You're on version 4.2.5 of vanilla, right? Not sure what's happening, store data should lib/gamedata/store.txt in this version

Comment

• R3_1415
              Rookie
              • Aug 2021

I found the books but it is in the Temple. The classic Temple is now called Scrolls and Potions and sells the items that the classic Temple would sell. Not sure why my building names are deviating from what everyone is talking about.

Comment

• backwardsEric
                Knight
                • Aug 2019

As Cryomaniac said, details about items and store owners are set in store.txt in Angband 4. The names of the stores are set in terrain.txt. If you have changed the versions of those files that are included with the game in lib/gamedata, that would affect what you see. If you have files with those names in your user directory (lib/User for Windows, .angband/Angband in your home directory for Linux, Documents/Angband in your home directory for macOS), that could also change what you see.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎