X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

Another Novice Diver

I'm having fun diving with this guy: a high-elf rogue (i know, not very original)

So far this guy has going for him:
    all base resists covered
    a bit of speed
    4 blows/round (ok for this stage of the game?)
    a few "outs" (TO and Teleport)

I feel like I'm doing OK with this although I'm to the point where I really need to think about insta-death. Are there any higher resists I should prioritize (besides poison)? I've found a couple of Damage/Slay rings- would those be better than the ring of strength? Any real reason to wear the ring of intelligence (+5)?

There is a light crossbow of extra shots (+11,+9) (+1) in the weapons shop- is this better than the heavy crossbow of power I have now?

Anything in my house I should be using instead of my current equipment?

And I probably know the answer to this ('no'), but assuming no improvement in equipment, is there some level I should think about stopping at before going farther is just not worth the danger.
  • PowerDiver
    Prophet
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by bio_hazard
    would those be better than the ring of strength? Any real reason to wear the ring of intelligence (+5)?

There is a light crossbow of extra shots (+11,+9) (+1) in the weapons shop- is this better than the heavy crossbow of power I have now?

Anything in my house I should be using instead of my current equipment?
    The reason to wear stat rings is that you know you need them. If you don't know ...

For launchers, I compare with (shots) * (multiplier) * (dam bonus), so that xbow is 2 * 3 * 9 for comparison purposes.

I think you should use Paurhach instead of Cambeleg. The regen doesn't fully make up for the lost bonuses, but clearly you cannot be trusted to keep it from being disenchanted. Leave Cambeleg at home until you equip with disenchantment resistance.

Comment

• bio_hazard
      Knight
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by PowerDiver
      The reason to wear stat rings is that you know you need them. If you don't know ...

For launchers, I compare with (shots) * (multiplier) * (dam bonus), so that xbow is 2 * 3 * 9 for comparison purposes.

I think you should use Paurhach instead of Cambeleg. The regen doesn't fully make up for the lost bonuses, but clearly you cannot be trusted to keep it from being disenchanted. Leave Cambeleg at home until you equip with disenchantment resistance.
      "this is why we can't have nice things..." ha ha. yes, I am too reliant on melee, and am stilll learning what can disenchant...

I just found the shield of Thorin, but will need to come up with another source of rFire if I wear it...

[EDIT] just succumbed to the 'post your character to ensure it's (un?)timely death' curse. just killed Nar, who dropped Red Dragon Scale. Lit up the room to reveal about 15 Dreads at the far end (either they don't get picked up by MAB or else they were just outside the range when I detected Nar. "These guys don't look too bad- hey, what's a nether bolt?"
      Last edited by bio_hazard; June 30, 2009, 20:30.

Comment

• Mondkalb
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Bah, I hate Dreads. They come in large groups during midgame. Even with reasonable stealth they wake up quickly and swarm you.
        Just today I killed a pack of 30. (It is a pleasure to do so if you are finally able to kill them - just rewarding them for all the strength losses and fleeing levels .)

Many of the undeads can cast nether bolts and nether balls - be warned.
        My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Marble Dice
          Swordsman
          • Jun 2008

Lit up the room to reveal about 15 Dreads at the far end (either they don't get picked up by MAB or else they were just outside the range when I detected Nar.
          Dreads, like all ghosts, are invisible and thus won't be revealed by Detect Monsters (mab). For that, you need Detect Invisible (mcg). Ghosts are also cold blooded, so infravision won't work on them, but telepathy will.

Comment

• bio_hazard
            Knight
            • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Marble Dice
            Dreads, like all ghosts, are invisible and thus won't be revealed by Detect Monsters (mab). For that, you need Detect Invisible (mcg). Ghosts are also cold blooded, so infravision won't work on them, but telepathy will.
            mab won't get them even if your char has see invis? good to know.

Comment

• Marble Dice
              Swordsman
              • Jun 2008

Correct, See Invis will only improve your characters' eye sight, allowing them to see invisible monsters in their line of sight. See Invis does not affect the behavior of any Detect spells, nor is there any way to modify the behavior of Detection magic.

Comment

• Nolendil
                Adept
                • May 2007

just succumbed to the 'post your character to ensure it's (un?)timely death' curse.
                I'm pretty sure the RNG reads the forum and r.g.r.a regularly
                A(3.2.0) C "Angdiira II" DP L:36 DL:44(2200') A+ R+ Sp w:Whip of Westernesse(+10,+10)(+2)
                A Mx H- D c-- f- PV+ s- d P++ M+
                C- S-- I So B++ ac GHB- SQ+ RQ++ V+

Comment

• aeneas
                  Adept
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                  Many of the undeads can cast nether bolts and nether balls - be warned.
                  Including Dreads. Dreads suck. If you get deep without SI they are the thing that is going to kill you. They're also the best mid-game argument for the importance of ESP. If you can actually see how many of them are coming for you, and if you can escape easily, it's sometimes worth it to sit around and knock them off, even when their nether attack takes off half your hp. They tend to pick things up. You can get a lot of the better stuff from a vault from them because of that. Of course there are some things they _can't_ pick up.

But you have to meet Dreads on your own terms. Even a very powerful character can wind up dead if he finds himself in an open space with a lot of Dreads. I have been known to kill them off, one by one, just for the XP and the drop.

I just killed a lot of Dreads for the XP and the items. But my character was already very powerful and he had ESP. I don't care how strong I am, I am going to get out of there if I see a lot of Dreads on the way, unless they are guarding something I really want. Dreads are not very dangerous if you have ESP, but if you don't.. you should boogie as soon as you see one. If you lack SI but you detect a Dread- well you should leave the level as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎