X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • takkaria
    Veteran
    • Apr 2007

Anyone playing V nightlies or compiling from SVN

I just landed a change which means you *need* to delete lib/data/object.raw, or you run the risk of having a really screwed-up game. Also, object distributions will be a bit off for a while, so you might want to stick with whatever version you're playing.
    takkaria whispers something about options. -more-
  • ekolis
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

OK, thanks for the warning - now if distributions will be off "for a while", does that mean you're going to make such a change again at some point in the future? If so, would you please post here again?
    Thanks!
    You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
    You are surrounded by a stasis field!
    The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• takkaria
      Veteran
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ekolis
      OK, thanks for the warning - now if distributions will be off "for a while", does that mean you're going to make such a change again at some point in the future? If so, would you please post here again?
      Thanks!
      I think that my warning was actually unnecessary, but I only realised that right after I posted. The nightlies will be changing quite a bit as items types get removed, renamed, rearranged, put at different depths, etc., and the odd few added here and there. At some point there will come a break in savefile compatibility when weapons and egos get altered. Right now I'm only attacking the non-combat stuff, though. Squelch will be screwed up, too.

In other words, I'm fulfilling the promise on the nightlies page:
      "This is almost certainly a work in progress and may be unbalanced, broken, prone to crashes or what have you, so try them very much at your own risk."

Comment

• ekolis
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Wow, you're absolutely right - I can no longer attack monsters and I'm getting tons of "object not found" errors when I start the game, and I DID delete the obj_info.raw file! :P
        Guess I'll have to go back to 3.0.9...

Comment

• takkaria
          Veteran
          • Apr 2007

Wow, you're absolutely right - I can no longer attack monsters and I'm getting tons of "object not found" errors when I start the game, and I DID delete the obj_info.raw file! :P
          Guess I'll have to go back to 3.0.9...
          You can no longer attack monsters? What happens when you try?

Comment

• ekolis
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Nothing, except the monsters take a turn and they attack me and eventually kill me
            /me is going to try downloading a fresh copy of the svn code to see if anything got "cached" somewhere by mistake...

edit: OK, now I can attack monsters... still getting the "object not found" warnings when the game starts up, but that doesn't seem to affect anything noticeable. Oh, by the way, I am getting a bunch of warnings when running "make": they say something about _GNU_SOURCE being redefined when it's been defined on the command line. And the configure script says it will install into /usr/local now but "make install" still puts the executable into the "trunk" directory...
            Last edited by ekolis; August 1, 2007, 12:51.

Comment

• ctate
              Rookie
              • Jul 2007

OK, now I can attack monsters... still getting the "object not found" warnings when the game starts up, but that doesn't seem to affect anything noticeable.
              Any time any of the edit/*.txt data files change, you need to nuke the corresponding data/*.raw files manually. What's happening is that the object set has been adjusted quite a bit lately, but your data/*.raw files still reflect an older set of objects. IIRC what's happening is that periodically the game goes to churn the store inventory, but finds itself trying to manipulate objects that the data files no longer describe. Oops.

The game will regenerate the .raw files at launch if they don't exist, so just go ahead and blow away data/*.raw and you'll run cleanly.

-
              ctate

Comment

• ctate
                Rookie
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by ctate
                The game will regenerate the .raw files at launch if they don't exist, so just go ahead and blow away data/*.raw and you'll run cleanly.
                Nope, that wasn't it in this case. It was that the General Store code was still attempting to stock wine, biscuits, and jerky as staples -- but those types of food had been eliminated from the object set as part of the object-set overhaul that started a few days ago.

Fixed in [432].

-- chris
                Last edited by ctate; August 2, 2007, 06:47.

Comment

• takkaria
                  Veteran
                  • Apr 2007

Nope, that wasn't it in this case. It was that the General Store code was still attempting to stock wine, biscuits, and jerky as staples -- but those types of food had been eliminated from the object set as part of the object-set overhaul that started a few days ago.
                  Ouch. I meant to do that along with the food changes. Thanks for catching it.

Comment

• Nameless
                    Rookie
                    • May 2007

Originally posted by takkaria
                    At some point there will come a break in savefile compatibility when weapons and egos get altered.
                    I do not wish to take this out of context - this is just for the nightlies? Will we see a day when I can't import my old savefiles into the newer "final" versions? I'd really hate to lose all my monster memories and similar out of that.

Comment

• takkaria
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nameless
                      I do not wish to take this out of context - this is just for the nightlies? Will we see a day when I can't import my old savefiles into the newer "final" versions? I'd really hate to lose all my monster memories and similar out of that.
                      The next major release will be breaking savefile compat. It's been a long time since such a break, IIRC, but it also gives a chance to introduce a new savefile format which should be able to break less often. The reason there'll be a break: the item list will be re-ordered, some items will be added (and some old ones removed), and the monster list will likewise see rearrangement, and some amount of rebalancing. I don't relish breaking compat., but it has to be done this time round.

Comment

• Nameless
                        Rookie
                        • May 2007

Well, if it must be done, then it must be done. Thanks for the heads up before the new version makes its way out.

Comment

• Hugo
                          Scout
                          • Apr 2007

Any time any of the edit/*.txt data files change, you need to nuke the corresponding data/*.raw files manually.
                          Hi ctate,

The game has code to check the last change date of both the .txt and the .raw files, and to rebuild .raw files that have a more recent corresponding .txt file. If you find that they don't get rebuilt automatically after a change to the .txt files, you should submit a bug report.

The only times when you need to manually delete the .raw files are when you restore a backup after messing up some changes (since most backup software will not touch the last-change date), when you import .txt files from another person who saved them before your last .raw build, or when you have been playing with your computer clock.
                          Best, Hugo

--
                          Angband spoilers - now updated for Angband 3.0.8 !!!!!
                          Visit http://www.juti.nl/hugo/Angband/Spoiler/index.htm
                          --

Comment

• Kiyoshi Aman
                            Scout
                            • Apr 2007

edit: OK, now I can attack monsters... still getting the "object not found" warnings when the game starts up, but that doesn't seem to affect anything noticeable. Oh, by the way, I am getting a bunch of warnings when running "make": they say something about _GNU_SOURCE being redefined when it's been defined on the command line. And the configure script says it will install into /usr/local now but "make install" still puts the executable into the "trunk" directory...
                            That shouldn't happen; the install target, when I originally integrated Objective Make into the autoconf-based buildsystem, installed to $bindir, which is a fancy way of saying $prefix/bin, which in turn usually means /usr/local/bin.
                            "The Earth...is for the living. The dead have neither rights nor powers on it." -- Thomas Jefferson
                            "Aim above morality. Be not simply good, be good for something." -- Mark Twain

Comment

• ekolis
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

I do seem to recall Andrew mentioning something about "make install" putting the executable in ".." (which for me is the trunk directory) on Ubuntu (which I am using), but I thought he might have fixed that...

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡