Prophet
    • Apr 2007

BUG: negative bonus items for sale in weapon shop

Code:
    y) 6 Slings (x2) (-2,-4)   0.5lb  62 Gold
  • PowerDiver
    Prophet
    • Mar 2008

Are you sure that's a bug? I'd love to buy an x3 launcher (-2,-5), or better yet a Nazgul longbow most games. There are plenty of cost 0 mushrooms I would like to buy.

But you're probably right that it is unintended behavior.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
      Code:
      y) 6 Slings (x2) (-2,-4)   0.5lb  62 Gold
      Funny you should mention this - I'm seeing this sort of thing in the dev version of FA at the moment, because negative bonuses don't mean cursed and can still leave the item with some value. Mind you, I don't think these particular ones would have positive cost.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• PaulBlay
        Knight
        • Jan 2009

Hey, this means Ticket #16023 Items with negative bonus being generated in shops is one of theirs, not on of mine.
        Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

@Eddie --

After seeing the price of a Long Bow (or even an ordinary Short Bow), your point on buying damaged weapons is well taken. An ordinary Long Bow now costs 753 Gold, and a Short Bow costs 339. Rangers now start with a really big advantage, since other characters won't be able to afford one for some time.

Comment

• Pete Mack
            Prophet
            • Apr 2007

Another bug:
            I'm using a Dagger of Flame that shows nominal 22.9 damage against normal creatures and 28 damage against fire-vulnerable creatures. Melee bonus is +20, so the dagger must have +.4 from criticals vs normal, so it should also show 28.7±0.2 against fire-vulnerable.
            Last edited by Pete Mack; April 12, 2009, 04:52.

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

Another unexpected side effect of cost-based pricing: Ring of Feather Falling now costs 3GP, so the various pit traps should appear on dl 1 again. If you are paranoid, you can buy one prior to going in the dungeon.

Also: Amulet of Charisma is ridiculously cheap (11 GP for +1 ring). Buying one pays off immediately in cost savings.

Comment

• PowerDiver
                Prophet
                • Mar 2008

@Eddie --

After seeing the price of a Long Bow (or even an ordinary Short Bow), your point on buying damaged weapons is well taken. An ordinary Long Bow now costs 753 Gold, and a Short Bow costs 339. Rangers now start with a really big advantage, since other characters won't be able to afford one for some time.
                It is definitely not fair to start rangers with a longbow. You know I think everyone should start with money only, but if you have to start them with a bow, make it a shortbow.

Comment

• Magnate
                  Angband Devteam member
                  • May 2007

Another unexpected side effect of cost-based pricing: Ring of Feather Falling now costs 3GP, so the various pit traps should appear on dl 1 again. If you are paranoid, you can buy one prior to going in the dungeon.

Also: Amulet of Charisma is ridiculously cheap (11 GP for +1 ring). Buying one pays off immediately in cost savings.
                  These have been fixed - all jewelry now gets a base power of 3, even though that represents no value. A ring of FF or amulet of +1 CHR now costs about 50gp. Still worth buying the CHR stuff though, as they will pay for themselves.

This could mean that CHR is underrated in the power algorithm, but since money only matters for the first 10% of the game I'm loath to over-rate it for the other 90%.

Yes, bows are now as expensive as they should be, given how much damage they do ...
                  "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Mondkalb
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

@Eddie --

And other classes might don't have a chance to buy a bow or even a sling because the shop sometimes only offers -x/-x or unaffordable +x/+x items.
                    My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• PaulBlay
                      Knight
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                      And other classes might don't have a chance to buy a bow or even a sling because the shop sometimes only offers -x/-x or unaffordable +x/+x items.
                      Look at it this way. How does the price of a

Long Bow (+0, +0)

compare with a

Long Bow (-1, -1), 1 scroll of Enchant Weapon To-Dam and 1 scroll of Enchant Weapon To-Hit

?

I'd expect that you'd lose some money on the second deal, but if you lose vast amounts then maybe the discount for damaged weapons is not enough or the price of enchant scrolls is too high.
                      Currently turning (Angband) Japanese.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

What about a long bow (-5, -2) for 160? Plus at least 7 scrolls of enchant weapon for ~140-150 each.
                        Doesn't look like a good deal to me.
                        My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• Pete Mack
                          Prophet
                          • Apr 2007

This is another place where I think rarity should play a role in defining price. Slings are just a couple strings and a piece of leather, and they can be found lying on the floor at dl 1. They shouldn't cost much, unless they are enchanted to some astronomical level.

Comment

• Magnate
                            Angband Devteam member
                            • May 2007

This is another place where I think rarity should play a role in defining price. Slings are just a couple strings and a piece of leather, and they can be found lying on the floor at dl 1. They shouldn't cost much, unless they are enchanted to some astronomical level.
                            But they do quite a lot of damage, with half-decent ammo, and in the new system things are priced according to how much damage they do (or are worth the equivalent). I'm still not quite convinced that rarity has a role (and still can't see how to incorporate it if it does).
                            "Been away so long I hardly knew the place, gee it's good to be back home" - The Beatles

Comment

• Rizwan
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2007

Hey wait a minute didn't I say something like that in power based pricing and got shot down????
                              Originally posted by Rizwan
                              How about adding a rarity component to the price value. A rarer item being more valuable than the more common items. So in the ring of speed example if a ring of speed is rarer than a ring of acid then ring of speed should be more expensive regardless of where or when anyone uses it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎