Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Atarlost
    Swordsman
    • Apr 2007

All of them? Fire hounds affect your home inventory as well now? I knew 3.1 was a big change, but I hadn't realized it was that big.
    One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
    One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• Zikke
      Veteran
      • Jun 2008

Well I assume you'd carry the scrolls on you, so that you don't have to say "Okay houndses, I'll be riiiight back with a scroll. Just sit there like good doggies for about 20 turns or so. Gooooood. Staaaaaaay."

edit: Idea. General store should sell Dog Whistles that when used will make any nearby hounds run in fear.
      A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
      A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
      C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Atarlost
        Swordsman
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Zikke
        Well I assume you'd carry the scrolls on you, so that you don't have to say "Okay houndses, I'll be riiiight back with a scroll. Just sit there like good doggies for about 20 turns or so. Gooooood. Staaaaaaay."

edit: Idea. General store should sell Dog Whistles that when used will make any nearby hounds run in fear.
        I would imagine there'd be little reason to carry more scrolls than you expect to hit levels since you'd only use one per level at least until you get into greater undead territory. You don't really need to genocide a level unless you want to clear it so that's probably only 2 uses per trip. I typically carry 5 of a high end scroll on dungeon trips before I start stashing so that I'll be able to eg. lose a few to a breather and still be able to escape. If you start with 10d10-1 scrolls as I suggested and have avoided losing any to salamanders early on or blowing any on lice or insects you'd lose on average only 10% of your stock to the first fire hound group you came across. Banishment isn't like *destruction* though in that if you don't have it you *can* punt the level and get more from home. If you only carry 2 per trip it's only a 4% loss.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
          Knight
          • Jun 2008

Idea. General store should sell Dog Whistles that when used will make any nearby hounds run in fear.
          Or make this an activation of rings of the Dog. Only kidding. I think.
          Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
          -Mercury Rev

Comment

• pav
            Administrator
            • Apr 2007

Scroll of Dog Whistle that makes dogs come to you ignoring group UI.
            See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Antoine
              Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by pav
              What would be nice would be if Sleep/Confusion/Slow were actually effective, then packs of hounds could be gotten rid of by (e.g.) putting them to sleep.

A.
              Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Atarlost
                Swordsman
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by pav
                How about just making scrolls of aggro shut down group AI in addition to hasting and waking everything?

Comment

• Zikke
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2008

When I started playing Angband, I was thinking in D&D terms and thinking "I should cast Wind Wall to block these breathers." I'm surprised nothing exists in the game to mitigate or remove breath attacks.

Comment

• Narvius
                    Knight
                    • Dec 2007

There's one thing to protect you from breaths.
                    HP.
                    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Phoenix21692
                      Rookie
                      • Aug 2007

What about Gravity Hounds? Anybody hate these guys or what?

Comment

• Zikke
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Phoenix21692
                        What about Time Hounds? Anybody hate these guys or what?

Fixed.

Comment

• Phoenix21692
                          Rookie
                          • Aug 2007

Actually, I did mean "Gravity" Hounds, the ones around dungeon lvl 35.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                            Knight
                            • May 2007

water hounds- acid breathers, I hate those guys. If you don't have resist acid on your equipment, you might as well hang that adventure up and head back to town. I don't really understand how water hounds, vortexes breath acid, why don't they drown you with water or something? And by the way for all the people who keeping crying out about hiding around the corner, it seems their breath weapons can still go around the corner and get you, so what's the point? rush in and end it swiftly. You either have reisitance or not.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                              Prophet
                              • Apr 2007

One square around the corner isn't enough-you are giving the hounds a hockey stick. You need to go two squares.

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                                Knight
                                • May 2007

In wich they come around the corner and you meet them head on, and they still breath on you. I would perfer, one square around the corner, because unless someone has changed it, breath weapon attacks are reduced when your hiding around a corner, ie. the attack dosen't get you head on and full force.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎