X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malak Darkhunter
    Knight
    • May 2007

Good God! Those energy hounds!

Okay, getting mobbed on hound levels, theres like dozen's of these guys roaming around, and trying to work or avoid my way through them. Encountering these guys has always been a pain, there seems to be just to many of these guys on certain levels. I was recently on a level with, cold hounds, air hounds, water hounds, earth hounds, clear hounds. Their breath attacks kept coming it was like freaking 4th of july going off. I don't mind the monsters so much, it's just there are entirely to many spawned at certain levels, need to tone their numbers down abit. My equipment got destroyed, at times it seemed I couldn't even move because of the dozen at time breath attacks. What good is it, if you have to avoid fighting them and bypass the level entirely?
  • pav
    Administrator
    • Apr 2007

Hounds are easy XP. You just need to use some basic strategies, like not standing in the middle of the hall, waiting for them to come over the corner instead.
    See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
      Knight
      • May 2007

I know all the basic strategies..been playing this game for years, even won it a few times, the point is it's aggravating gameplay, hiding around the corner dosen't protect you from their breath weeapons, and alot of times they wait out in the room for you, it's the (monsters act smarter in groups ai). The point I'm trying to make is hounds shouldn't be spawned in by the dozens on any given level. Let's drop the number down from 2 dozen hounds per pack to maybe 1 dozen per pack. This is the only monster set for the game I can't tolerate.

Comment

• pav
        Administrator
        • Apr 2007

Hmm. I only played variants with dumb hounds.
        See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• buzzkill
          Prophet
          • May 2008

Originally posted by Malak Darkhunter
          I know all the basic strategies.... hiding around the corner dosen't protect you from their breath weeapons, and alot of times they wait out in the room for you, it's the (monsters act smarter in groups ai).
          Hounds are usually only a major nuisance for a select group of levels. Hiding around a corner will protect you (it's my SOP), just back off 1 additional space from the corner. If the hounds refuse to poke their heads around the corner, then simply walk away. If and when they come after you, kill them. Problem solved.
          www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
          My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Zikke
            Veteran
            • Jun 2008

I agree that the hound generation should be turned down. It detracts from the game and it's so pervasive it's annoying.

Depending on your level, you can generally stay safe from hounds if you stay in a corridor around a corner by two spaces. Many times they don't come into range unless they can surround you.
            A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
            A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
            C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:

Comment

• Pete Mack
              Prophet
              • Apr 2007

I don't think there are more hounds now. The lower 20s have always been filled with hounds, so the RNG sometimes really sticks you. The pack AI is the difference, and buzzkill has the right strategy: stay away. You can still trick them by finding or creating a tiny room, but it's not worth it unless the hounds are really big HP targets (chaos hounds late; dark/light/clear very early.)

Comment

• Malak Darkhunter
                Knight
                • May 2007

That brings back my point of, if you want to avoid them, then why have them? I'd rather see them replaced with another monster group that's not nearly as annoying. Angband needs more players, and annoying circumstances such as this might make a new player say forget it.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Evasion is the mist important part of the game. Removing hounds would
                  A) make the game less interesting
                  B) teach the wrong lesson. Hounds are at least not usually fatal, just aggravating. Trying to play footsie with the wrong monsters deeper will just kill you, not drive you crazy.

Comment

• Hampton
                    Rookie
                    • Nov 2008

The game's not meant to be easy. There's meant to be aggravation and monsters we don't like, that's the point of it. Hounds must stay!

Comment

• Zikke
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2008

I don't think the answer is to remove hounds, but maybe slightly tune down the number of times they are generated. I've been playing my warrior on dlvl 30-40ish and have regularly thought it was too much.

Comment

• Dragonboneman
                        Adept
                        • Aug 2007

I think the maintainer should consider giving hounds a one-in-a-million chance to drop Bladeturner. That would change things up a bit.

Comment

• Atarlost
                          Swordsman
                          • Apr 2007

Make it the one ring instead. It'd be more fun.

Or we could let the player start with a stack of 10d10-1 genocide/banishment scrolls {100% off} and let him or her decide what was too annoying to deal with.
                          One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
                          One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• Zikke
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Atarlost
                            Make it the one ring instead. It'd be more fun.

Or we could let the player start with a stack of 10d10-1 genocide/banishment scrolls {100% off} and let him or her decide what was too annoying to deal with.
                            First pack of fire hounds and they'd all be destroyed. ^_^

Comment

• vorondil
                              Apprentice
                              • Dec 2008

This thread is pure win.
                              Now playing Abasorix, half-troll warrior in V-4.0.5.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎