X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

3.1 initial thoughts

First off, love it! There are so many wonderful enhancements and usability features that makes it so much easier to use. I made a High Elf warrior to test it out with. I'm currently at clvl 16 and dlvl 12 and using full-screen mode; here are some thoughts so far.

Pseudo ID'ing a Wicker Shield [2,-2] as "Magical" is annoying. -2 might not be magical, it could just be damaged and shouldn't be flagged as Magical. (I understand if the intent is to make pseudo-ID not as absolute, but I personally find that -2s show up as Magical as annoying since I waste a bunch of ID scrolls thinking I have something juicy.)

Love the %'s in the character sheet screen. Makes it much more informative as to the true abilities.

Since monsters now drop less loot, is the chance of finding better items increased to balance? Or is the game harder now. I haven't found a lot of nice items so far, except a unique helm I got off a named Orc.

Make pseudo-ID'ing not interrupt running.

Definitely enjoy the increase in information regarding hits and damage per blow on each weapon. This is SO time-saving.

Maybe make the solid walls vs. # walls a choice in options? Just an idea since people may have different preferences. Or put it in the tiles menu.
    A(3.1.0b) CWS "Fyren_V" NEW L:50 DL:127 A++ R+++ Sp+ w:The Great Axe of Eonwe
    A/FA W H- D c-- !f PV+++ s? d P++ M+
    C- S+ I- !So B ac++ GHB? SQ? !RQ V F:
  • Zikke
    Veteran
    • Jun 2008

Nevermind about not finding good items. I found a weapon of Westernesse and now I'm doing over 100 damage per round and 1-shotting everything.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
      Knight
      • Jun 2008

I would like to express gratitude for the little nugget of joy I experienced when I found that ?dTreasure and ?dObject have been merged.
      Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
      -Mercury Rev

Comment

• Zikke
        Veteran
        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
        I would like to express gratitude for the little nugget of joy I experienced when I found that ?dTreasure and ?dObject have been merged.

I agree! Forgot to mention that. The _dTreasure is also uber.

I think my favorite thing so far is that the items stack more efficiently in my inventory for various reasons. Bag maintenance is so much less of a hassle.

Comment

• Donald Jonker
          Knight
          • Jun 2008

A few more thoughts:

I think this has been mentioned before, but it bears repeating: the change to object generation (at least as far as I've made it, up to around 2000') is a winner. In my standard first dive to 500-700', I can now manage scrounge up enough dough without loading up with a bunch of crappy gear to kit myself out. This is something I wasn't able to do except with Eddie's patch, where gold drops were much increased. A great improvement.

I also find that by the time I hit 1000', I usually find an acceptable {excellent} weapon that beats my enchanted store-bought weapon. This also wasn't previously the case.

Not sure how I feel about {magical} covering both good and bad weapons. I think the logical conclusion of this system would be that wearing {magical} items would id them after a while. Maybe this happens for classes other than warriors (which is pretty much all I play)? In any case, it works adequately as is and doesn't piss me off, but maybe warriors have it easier than other classes.

Even with the improved object generation, I still believe the squelching needs to evolve as well. I don't know what kind of dialogue is happening between Eddie and Andrew, but I can't think of a single reason why Eddie's squelching shouldn't be adopted in whole. Is this something that's being considered?

Anywho, this is the best vanilla yet - loving every minute. Will keep feedback coming as it occurs to me.
          Bands, / Those funny little plans / That never work quite right.
          -Mercury Rev

Comment

• PowerDiver
            Prophet
            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by Donald Jonker
            I don't know what kind of dialogue is happening between Eddie and Andrew, but I can't think of a single reason why Eddie's squelching shouldn't be adopted in whole. Is this something that's being considered?
            Whatever code I give him is sure to propagate. I've release bad working code before, and lived to regret it. If I could just make up my mind the right way to do things, I could give him some worthy code.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎