X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sphara
    Knight
    • Oct 2016

Randarts not having anything but melee bonus

Now, I've probably mentioned this before. It's of course a big disappointment, because more often than not, it is just as useless than a cursed or aggravating artifact. Unless found on somewhere like D4.

But my Q is that how common are these? I just had a hobbit priest game where I got TWO of these in a same game. Melee weapons, no properties, no curses, just +acc and +dam. I know it must be challenging to balance out random artifacts, but is it possible to remove this kind crap from randart game for the upcoming version?
  • Estie
    Veteran
    • Apr 2008

What exactly are you complaining about ?

Randarts come in all shades from only good to all out cursed. So, are you asking that there be none in the vicinity of zero value ? Or do you want to remove everything below a certain threshold ?

Comment

• Sphara
      Knight
      • Oct 2016

It's just that I find artifacts that have no features at all, to be quite a bit silly. But hey! Like you said, randart is a RANDart. Plain artifact is just as random as an endgame uber-artifact. I guess I should just be happy and not whine about anything here. I'm off searching for a mundane Ring of Power.

Comment

• backwardsEric
        Knight
        • Aug 2019

If the game was with 4.2.4 and you still have the character or character dump, could you post the randart seed here or put the dump on the ladder? Then some diagnosis could be done to see why those artifacts ended up as they did.

If it's like the artifact rings that have nothing interesting on them, the target power for the artifact likely left no room for anything other than the melee bonuses. Besides filtering those artifacts out, the generation algorithm could try adding curses, negative modifiers, or bad flags to such artifacts to give room in the power budget for something interesting. The result is likely to be just as useless, but with the right character or application of remove curse, it might be something you'd consider using.

Comment

• sffp
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2020

I feel your pain

Meanwhile my hobbit nec has found two artifacts

First

the Star of Isilmo <+3>
          +3 wisdom
          +3 light
          Provides resistance to Acid
          Intensity 3 light. Cannot be refueled

When activated, it maps the area around you

And just recently:

the Long Sword of Orthovain (2d5) (-5,-12) {cursed}
          Dropped by Golfimbul, the Hill Orc Chief, at 950 feet (level 19)

It makes you hallucinate sometimes.
          Cannot be harmed by Acid.
          Aggravates creatures nearby.

Combat info:
          1.0 blow/round.
          With +8 STR and +0 DEX you would attack a bit faster
          With +11 STR and +0 DEX you would get 1.1 blows
          With +0 STR and +1 DEX you would attack a bit faster
          With +8 STR and +1 DEX you would get 1.1 blows
          With +0 STR and +4 DEX you would get 1.1 blows
          Average damage/round: 0.

Comment

• sffp
            Swordsman
            • Apr 2020

Grishnakh drops a ring!

What could it be!?

l) the Ring of Handuin <+2, +1> {cursed}
            Dropped by Grishnákh, the Hill Orc, at 500 feet (level 10)

It periodically turns your skin to stone.
            It makes you hallucinate sometimes.
            It randomly makes you teleport.
            +2 searching skill.
            +1 light.
            Provides protection from fear.
            Cannot be harmed by Lightning.
            Aggravates creatures nearby. Drains experience.

Comment

• Selkie
              Swordsman
              • Aug 2020

Come on, if it wasn't for the shit randarts then there can't be the OP randarts. It's the rich spice of life

Comment

• gglibertine
                Adept
                • Dec 2007

the Amulet of Belion {cursed}
                Found lying on the floor in a pit at 600 feet (level 12)

It makes you too scared to fight.
                Provides resistance to Dark.
                Sustains dexterity.
                Slows your metabolism. Prevents paralysis. Prevents teleportation. Aggravates creatures nearby.

Nah, I'm good.

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Sphara
                  Now, I've probably mentioned this before. It's of course a big disappointment, because more often than not, it is just as useless than a cursed or aggravating artifact. Unless found on somewhere like D4.

But my Q is that how common are these? I just had a hobbit priest game where I got TWO of these in a same game. Melee weapons, no properties, no curses, just +acc and +dam. I know it must be challenging to balance out random artifacts, but is it possible to remove this kind crap from randart game for the upcoming version?
                  They also come in the "+47 AC" variety with no other properties. It's just that their power all went into supercharged tohit/todam/AC. Maybe force at least one property other that supercharged one?
                  PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• grumbleguts
                    Scout
                    • Oct 2010

I'm not sold on the whole randart thing. Rand object yes. But an artifact has a name, it is unique throughout the game's universe. Its properties should (in my opinion) be known ahead of time. You have heard of this sword Pimplepopper, wielded by the great Verifah Kenfahni on his quest to hide from the battle of Munkeezunkle.

You have heard of this sword, or you wouldn't know its name, and presumably you already knew its properties.

Not saying it isn't an interesting addition to game play, just wondering how much sense it makes.

Comment

• AceRimmer
                      Scout
                      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by grumbleguts
                      I'm not sold on the whole randart thing. Rand object yes. But an artifact has a name, it is unique throughout the game's universe. Its properties should (in my opinion) be known ahead of time. You have heard of this sword Pimplepopper, wielded by the great Verifah Kenfahni on his quest to hide from the battle of Munkeezunkle.

You have heard of this sword, or you wouldn't know its name, and presumably you already knew its properties.

Not saying it isn't an interesting addition to game play, just wondering how much sense it makes.
                      I suppose it really depends upon the narrative you create for your character. If you are playing as a Gandalf or Aragorn type, then yes, I suppose you know all about Pimplepopper and can recite long passages from the Lay of Verfah Kenfahni, who wandered among the trees of Munkeezunkle. You probably know the prophecies associated with this (+10, +3) slay-orc sword with feather falling and rLite that activates for Frost Bolt.

But if you are playing a Bilbo type, then all you might know is, "Look! It's a sword that glows blue when orcs are around, and wow! does it slice well."

And maybe if you are a half-troll, you just think, "Sword. Stab. Kill. Blood."

[And I am sure there are other types of character ... for example, the Boromirs who know all about items from Gondor and Westernesse but are clueless about Elven and Dwarven items].

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎