Sil: What are your least liked features of Sil?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • taptap
    Knight
    • Jan 2013

You do realize that Lore-Master makes each perception ability you want on top of it 1000 xp more expensive? There are plenty of players, who agree with you on Lore-Master, but usually they don't bother with other perception abilities.

Comment

• Lionmaruu
      Scout
      • Nov 2013

not really a "feature" as much as a "small hindsight" IMHO:

You have to choose the skill points (melee, archery...) at the character creation! BUT only after the start of the game you can actually SEE the goddamned screen and then, see what you can buy with the points you put on the skills.

I forgot how many characters I had to kill(suicide) just to see what each skill cost so I could make a balanced and informed choice.

so I really want to see is:

a) Make a possibility for me to press TAB and see the skills menu before spending my points

or

b) Make a possibility that I can use my points after the beginning of the game.

I guess that for balancing purposes A is a better solution, in the end of avoid any inappropriate advantage B could give.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Lionmaruu
        b) Make a possibility that I can use my points after the beginning of the game.
        I guess that for balancing purposes A is a better solution, in the end of avoid any inappropriate advantage B could give.
        I would like to see an option A as well, but the only points you have to spend or lose are your stat points str/dex/con/gra. You can elect to not distribute your 5000 xp and do it after the game starts.
        You are on something strange

Comment

• locus
          Adept
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by one-eyed
          #2: I believe the ID system favors Perception in a way that unbalances builds a little (again, disclaimer for limited experience with the game). Not only is Perception already very useful for a handful of different things (and has very useful Abilities throughout), but the way you get 100 experience per item ID makes it hard to come up with an argument against picking Lore-Master every game. The ability itself, I'd argue, is invaluable and the experience investment will quickly pay for itself. Perhaps giving it diminishing returns like the way experience is earned for encountering and killing monsters might offset this a little or maybe moving it into Smithing, which would arguably still makes sense theme-wise.
          Note that the 100 XP per item type is not a special bonus from Lore-master, it's the same XP you'd get from experimentation. If you're scrupulous about ID-ing items through experimentation, it doesn't give you much extra XP at all.

The benefits of lore-master are:
          *You don't have to experiment with items, which is a hassle and occasionally dangerous
          *You get +1 of each consumable because you don't have to sacrifice one to find out what it is
          *Extra inventory space from not having to carry around unidentified items
          *You can see if an item is worth fighting a dragon over before you actually fight the dragon
          *Some items are impossible to ID through experimentation, like Amulet of Adornment and the Arrow Dailir.

Comment

• Lionmaruu
            Scout
            • Nov 2013

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
            I would like to see an option A as well, but the only points you have to spend or lose are your stat points str/dex/con/gra. You can elect to not distribute your 5000 xp and do it after the game starts.

oops
            My bad! I only have started playing Sil a couple weeks ago and haven't played very much of it yet... Sorry.

Yes, you CAN do it after if you choose not to spend the points. It was my mistake for not realizing it. Thank you HallucinationMushroom, for pointing it out!

But (if I haven't missed any information on the start screens or tutorial) the game really doesn't inform you about it... Thinking about it now, it is like my option B(you can spent your xp after the start of the game in any way you like) it is just not very clear on this option.

Then I suggest a better explaining of the worth of the initial 5000xp points since its management is VERY important to a successful game (you buy skills, powers and use to enchant).

Also the TAB info when buying the points is still really handy on the beginning.

Oh and BTW, the PDF of the game manual is EXCELENT! Angband can only hope to have so great newbie help in one easy to ready/print spot. Also the very nice tutorial.

I only wanted it had the cost of the skills together with each description and the mention of the first 5000 points, maybe with examples of use.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

It's all good! I had many misconceptions about how the game worked that I had to work through with forum and character questions... and I am still clueless about a fair number of mechanics. This just happened to be a question easy enough for me to field, haha .
              You are on something strange

Comment

• taptap
                Knight
                • Jan 2013

@lion: Cost is n*100 xp for the n-th skill point, cost for abilities is n*500 xp for the n-th ability of that skill-tree (modified by affinities for archery/smithing w/ feanor, archery/will w/ fingolfing, archery/perception w/ finarfin). I guess, how important these points are, is something one learns very fast.
                Last edited by taptap; June 30, 2014, 23:07.

Comment

• skadefryd
                  Rookie
                  • Nov 2012

Anyway, I'm sure an argument could be made that spending initial XP on skills rather than on ability points is often not a good idea. In the early game, what's better––a slightly higher crit rate or a +1 to hit? Extra perception or the ability to see invisible monsters? +1 evasion, or +3 evasion only when moving? And so on.

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

That depends. If I'm going stealth early I'd take disguise or assassination straight a way. Song of elbereth is only 600 pts to take from the start & pretty much makes early orcs not a problem on an elf, if your taking it you may as well start with it. I've found on characters with low melee 1 melee+power to be better then 3. So yeah, depends but usually true.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎