X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by taptap
    Would it be possibly to have the death message accessible via the savefile because I invariably on impulse don't save the chardump but press ESC after a stupid death?

Is there any chance to reconfigure my keyboard (i have no diagonals on my laptop and using the numbers instead is tedious and error-prone).
    The first of these would be nice, but would take me several hours to program, which is not really worth it. You will just have to stop pressing ESC...

The second can be done via the pref files (as adding an interface for it is probably not worth the time yet). I've added a quick guide to this to the relevant file pref.prf:

# Keyset mappings take the form:
    # A: action
    # C: keyset : key
    #
    # There are 4 keysets (0, 1, 2, 3), representing the Sil and Angband-style sets
    # without and with the hjkl movement
    #
    # When you press the 'key', the underlying 'action' is triggered.

Comment

• jdh
      Rookie
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by half
      The first of these would be nice, but would take me several hours to program, which is not really worth it. You will just have to stop pressing ESC...
      I've thought about writing a patch for something like Crawl's mortem: always save a chardump Character-Timestamp.txt on death. It isn't very hard with strftime, but there is a question of how much Sil should be writing to disk without asking the user.

Comment

• fph
        Veteran
        • Apr 2009

Originally posted by jdh
        I've thought about writing a patch for something like Crawl's mortem: always save a chardump Character-Timestamp.txt on death. It isn't very hard with strftime, but there is a question of how much Sil should be writing to disk without asking the user.
        What about a file named last-character.txt, that gets overwritten every time? If your worries are about the used space on disk, rather than the amount of I/O, this will solve the problem.
        --
        Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• Nick
          Vanilla maintainer
          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by jdh
          I had a "view your last character" feature in FAangband for a while (when you first opened the game after dying) - but after some code changes I never re-implemented it.
          One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
          In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Patashu
            Knight
            • Jan 2008

The game should save everything it can automatically. Hard drive space for text is so cheap nowadays.
            My Chiptune music, made in Famitracker: http://soundcloud.com/patashu

Comment

• Starhawk
              Adept
              • Sep 2010

Strange random error when loading up a game I'd been playing earlier today:
              Error (Cannot parse savefile) reading 1.1.1. savefile -more-

Loading a 1.1.1 savefile...
              Restoring Dungeon...
              Cannot place object 1!
              Error reading dungeon data

The savefile was made using this version of Sil (1.1.1), so I'm at a loss. Savefile is attached.

I don't need you to move heaven and earth to fix this particular savefile, as the character isn't advanced or much in danger of winning the game. But thought you might like to see the bug so that someone else doesn't lose their first potential winner.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Starhawk
                Adept
                • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Starhawk

Restoring Dungeon...
                Cannot place object 1!

This happened again with another savefile. My behavior: open Sil 1.1.1, start a new character (brand new savefile), play a few levels, quit. Come back later in the day, play a couple levels, quit. Come back a third time, get the error above -- savefile is unusable.

I'm playing on a Windows 7 box. This has only occurred since the 1.1.1 update. Any ideas?

Comment

• half
                  Knight
                  • Jan 2009

I'm playing on a Windows 7 box. This has only occurred since the 1.1.1 update. Any ideas?
                  Hi Starhawk. Thanks for posting about this rather serious bug. I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem, so luckily it seems to be uncommon across people even if common across your plays. If anyone else is having this problem, please post here to say so.

I don't have time to trace this down at the moment, but thanks for posting your savefile too -- it should help when I have the time. A quick search for the error message in the source code shows it involves parts of the code I don't understand. My best guess is that it is something to do with modifying the save/load code which I sometimes tweak between versions.

Comment

• WildKhaine
                    Scout
                    • Oct 2012

Restoring Dungeon...
                    Cannot place object 1!

The savefile was made using this version of Sil (1.1.1), so I'm at a loss. Savefile is attached.
                    I had this happen to one of my saves awhile back. Deleted the file and haven't had the same error message again.

Comment

• jdh
                      Rookie
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by half
                      Hi Starhawk. Thanks for posting about this rather serious bug. I haven't heard anyone else having the same problem, so luckily it seems to be uncommon across people even if common across your plays. If anyone else is having this problem, please post here to say so.

I don't have time to trace this down at the moment, but thanks for posting your savefile too -- it should help when I have the time. A quick search for the error message in the source code shows it involves parts of the code I don't understand. My best guess is that it is something to do with modifying the save/load code which I sometimes tweak between versions.
                      Is this with the latest version of Sil 1.1.1 (half fixed a few bugs, including one which generated invalid objects)? I took a quick look at it and the object it's choking on appears to be an excellent pair of greaves with no artefact type and a 254 ego type, which is out of range (this is what the load chokes on).

Comment

• half
                        Knight
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by jdh
                        Is this with the latest version of Sil 1.1.1 (half fixed a few bugs, including one which generated invalid objects)? I took a quick look at it and the object it's choking on appears to be an excellent pair of greaves with no artefact type and a 254 ego type, which is out of range (this is what the load chokes on).
                        Thanks jdh, I think that is it. Starhawk: does the problem come back if you are using the latest 1.1.1 (sorry I didn't bump the version number) and start with a new character save file. It sounds like the earlier 1.1.1 corrupted (or is still corrupting) the file.

Comment

• Starhawk
                          Adept
                          • Sep 2010

It looks like the version I'm playing was downloaded/installed on 1/3/2013.

Comment

• half
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2009

It looks like the version I'm playing was downloaded/installed on 1/3/2013.
                            I think it was updated a couple of times since then (probably within the first week), which was mainly to do with a bug concerning greaves and is probably the culprit here (returning from the grave...).

Comment

• Starhawk
                              Adept
                              • Sep 2010

Oho -- sneaky stealth update ninjas are killing my savefiles!

I will grab the newest version and let you know if the issue comes back. Thanks much!

Comment

• thomville
                                Rookie
                                • Jan 2013

I've had the same problem with a version 1.1.1 I downloaded Jan 3 - found an excellent pair of greaves and couldn't reopen the save file the next time I tried.

This morning I downloaded the 1.1.1 version currently available at amirrorcler.net, but when I opened it the windows were all black - the default fonts seem to be unhappy? I was able to monkey around and found some that work, but not sure what happened?

Apologies for opening with a problem - love the game!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎