X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
    It might be more intuitive that V,but you need to be lucky enough to find a good digger. If Sil has any fault,its that luck plays too much of a roll in the game.
    I don't really think this is true. My guess is that there are now people on the forum who could win something like 50% of their games of Sil if they were trying to win (rather than trying out new builds). It is certainly possible to get into situations where luck is needed to survive, but that misses the point that the skill is needed to not get into those situations.

Regarding diggers, all characters can have a Mattock by 100 ft if they want one. They are difficulty 3 to forge, so even a human with zero grace can get one for 1,100 experience at that point. For a Feanorian it is 0 experience, but you may choose to use the free ability and free forge uses on other things -- that is their choice. A mattock of normal weight only requires strength 2 to use, and you can make lighter ones too.

Comment

• meneldil
      Rookie
      • Jan 2012

Sil seems to be a game for those that have beaten V a few times and need a new challenge.
      Interestingly, I've never played Angband, and have only very limited experience of other rogue-likes, and have found Sil a really fun introduction to the genre (and seem not to be struggling too much: although I've not had a Green on the ladder, my last attempt came pretty close, and I certainly managed a few victories in alpha tests).

Admittedly, alpha/beta-testing Sil, I've been around people who are very knowledgeable about the game, and have been able to ask questions and receive hints and tips, but the shorter game-time of Sil makes it much more approachable for me, as I don't have vast quantities of time to spend.

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
        Swordsman
        • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
        As a follow up to this I tested blocking as well and I get the same behavior. Resting with z or 5 does not grant the extra roll but using shift-z does.
        It looks like focused attack is the same way. It seems like resting with shift-z automatically rests you for two turns even if a monster is right next to you. I tried resting multiple turns with 5 or z but still got no bonus.

Has anyone else even been able to duplicate this issue?
        My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• ewan
          Adept
          • Aug 2007

I am/was definitely getting a bonus from focussed attacks even with a single turn of '5' before a blow.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Is it possible to wield a bastard sword, spear, trident, etc... deliberately with one hand and the left hand empty? Been considering a critical-seeking build and wondered if subtlety would work with those.
            You are on something strange

Comment

• Scatha
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
              Is it possible to wield a bastard sword, spear, trident, etc... deliberately with one hand and the left hand empty? Been considering a critical-seeking build and wondered if subtlety would work with those.
              No, it isn't possible to do this. (This is deliberate, both from a mechanical and thematic perspective.)

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                Swordsman
                • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Psi
                I disagree. Why do you even need a good digger in Sil? Yes you need *a* digger to shift rubble by the latter half of the dungeon, but there is no real need to dig walls unless you get a freak situation with a Grotesque. The times I'd have liked an enchanted mattock (and a pile of strength to wield it - how much is that by the way?) is when I know where a secret door is (because of _Revelations say) but my perception isn't high enough to make the roll to find it and I've reluctantly had to put points in perception to proceed.

Certainly luck helps (like finding a _Revelations when you are forge hunting), but Sil seems balanced enough that you don't need to be lucky.
                Sometimes you can see treasure cheats that you can only dig to, that is why you "need" to be able to dig. Or at least it would be really nice if you could dig to the treasure chests.

Comment

• Psi
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Sometimes you can see treasure cheats that you can only dig to, that is why you "need" to be able to dig. Or at least it would be really nice if you could dig to the treasure chests.
                  In my experience there has always been a secret door to those chests. Admittedly taking out the wall is easier than searching for it though...

Comment

• half
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Psi
                    In my experience there has always been a secret door to those chests. Admittedly taking out the wall is easier than searching for it though...
                    This is basically right. The interesting rooms all have secret doors to the hidden areas, but there are some vaults which have entirely quartz surrounded regions with hidden things. It is easy to tell when that is the case as quartz cannot have secret doors in it. I don't think there are any granite surrounded secret areas at all.

People with high perception are much better at seeking out these treasures, but they are worse at other things due to spending their experience on perception. You certainly don't need all the treasures in Sil.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Another question. I am twoweaponing two (2lb) longsword defenders with the parry ability. I have noticed that only the first weapon is getting the double evasion bonus provided by parry. I was hoping both would, and just thought I'd ask if that is a bug or intentional.

I was going for a light two-weapon user with high-evasion to take advantage of riposte and critical strikes, but the whole thing feels like a big pile of fail at the moment. It's kind of neat, but not as easy as other stuff I've tried.
                      You are on something strange

Comment

• Scatha
                        Swordsman
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by half
                        This is basically right. The interesting rooms all have secret doors to the hidden areas, but there are some vaults which have entirely quartz surrounded regions with hidden things. It is easy to tell when that is the case as quartz cannot have secret doors in it. I don't think there are any granite surrounded secret areas at all.
                        This is roughly right. There's actually no game-distinction between interesting rooms and vaults, it just affects the room generation code, but some of the "interesting rooms" do have areas with things hidden by rubble, and a few have quartz. There's at least (and I think precisely) one, minor, secret area surrounded by granite in the vaults file.

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                        Another question. I am twoweaponing two (2lb) longsword defenders with the parry ability. I have noticed that only the first weapon is getting the double evasion bonus provided by parry. I was hoping both would, and just thought I'd ask if that is a bug or intentional.
                        It's intentional. We were a bit worried about Parry being too ridiculous if you could have doubled bonuses from two Defender weapons. I don't feel too strongly about which is the better behaviour here, but we might have to make Parry weaker in some other manner if it got the bonuses from both, which would add complexity.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                          Swordsman
                          • Apr 2010

Originally posted by Psi
                          Ah did not know this...

Comment

• ekolis
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Scatha
                            It's intentional. We were a bit worried about Parry being too ridiculous if you could have doubled bonuses from two Defender weapons. I don't feel too strongly about which is the better behaviour here, but we might have to make Parry weaker in some other manner if it got the bonuses from both, which would add complexity.
                            What if you simply gave only half the normal bonus for the offhand weapon?
                            You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
                            You are surrounded by a stasis field!
                            The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                              Swordsman
                              • Apr 2010

Does opportunist turn off if you are in stealth mode?

Comment

• Scatha
                                Swordsman
                                • Jan 2012

Does opportunist turn off if you are in stealth mode?
                                No, but you can manually turn it off in the Abilities menu (just select it again).

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎