X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Psi
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by half
    It gives unwary monsters a +10 bonus to notice you (but no bonus to sleeping ones), and makes intelligent monsters aggressive when they would normally be confident. This has two effects at the moment (I think!): enemies don't wait at the ends of corridors for you and spies don't hang back on the edge of sight.
    Hmmm... that doesn't sound bad (and could actually help in some circumstances). With an "Elbereth"-smith build that is two free points of smithing on an artifact...

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
      Swordsman
      • Nov 2008

That is odd, it certainly works for Scatha and I. Indeed I can't see how this could happen.
      I'll test it a little further but i'm pretty certain it happened on both my computers.
      My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• half
        Knight
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Psi
        Hmmm... that doesn't sound bad (and could actually help in some circumstances). With an "Elbereth"-smith build that is two free points of smithing on an artifact...
        Yes, it is nowhere near as bad as aggravation in Angband, and I like the fact that it can be tactically useful. An effective -10 to stealth against unwary monsters (which is most of the non-alert monsters) is still a pretty big deal though.

We costed the difficulty reductions for curses of various sorts as quite small compared to an intuitive costing because the player can pick and choose them to only use the ones that don't hurt much. One thing that wasn't really taken into account was the fact that many of them don't stack, so you can make all of your artefacts grant danger or all of them grant wrath. I think that in the future these negative effects might be made cumulative in some manner. For now though, give it a try!

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
          Swordsman
          • Nov 2008

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
          I'll test it a little further but i'm pretty certain it happened on both my computers.
          I've tested polearm mastery with several characters now and while they all receive the +1 to attack the only way I can get free attacks on incoming monsters is to use shift-z, z and 5 do not give free attacks.

Comment

• Psi
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Yes, it is nowhere near as bad as aggravation in Angband, and I like the fact that it can be tactically useful. An effective -10 to stealth against unwary monsters (which is most of the non-alert monsters) is still a pretty big deal though.
            Ha! I love this... what I hadn't bargained on was Silent Watchers. They go absolutely bonkers with my aggravation. I'd never "set one off" on previous characters, but I've been knocked out by one this time around. Thankfully nothing was around to take advantage. Does stunning resistance protect against this by the way?

Comment

• half
              Knight
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Psi
              Ha! I love this... what I hadn't bargained on was Silent Watchers. They go absolutely bonkers with my aggravation. I'd never "set one off" on previous characters, but I've been knocked out by one this time around. Thankfully nothing was around to take advantage. Does stunning resistance protect against this by the way?
              Stunning resistance protects against this and (I think) all other times one could become stunned.

Comment

• half
                Knight
                • Jan 2009

I've tested polearm mastery with several characters now and while they all receive the +1 to attack the only way I can get free attacks on incoming monsters is to use shift-z, z and 5 do not give free attacks.
                Wow, thanks for the bug report. That is very odd.

Comment

• Gockel
                  Apprentice
                  • Aug 2010

hey there,

first: congratulations and thanks for creating such a unique and fascinating variant! love it!!

apart from that, i encountered a bug: i forged a brass lantern which provides see invis, res blind and inner light. after i refilled it with a lantern of true seeing it had 7000 turns of light and this doesn't change anymore. it simply stays at 7000 turns of light forever.
                  actually it could be that it was like that from the beginning, but i only realized after i refilled the lantern to maximum.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Gockel

apart from that, i encountered a bug: i forged a brass lantern which provides see invis, res blind and inner light. after i refilled it with a lantern of true seeing it had 7000 turns of light and this doesn't change anymore. it simply stays at 7000 turns of light forever.
                    actually it could be that it was like that from the beginning, but i only realized after i refilled the lantern to maximum.
                    This is a known bug with 'Artifact' Brass Lanterns. half says this is fixed in the next version, as far as I know.
                    Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; February 4, 2012, 23:37.
                    My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• will_asher
                      DaJAngband Maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

Feature request: either
                      a) a second page to the character screen with resistances and equipment flags like V (and most variants) have.
                      and/or
                      b) a self-knowledge page in the knowledge menu listing known resistances and stuff.
                      Will_Asher
                      aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                      http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
                        Swordsman
                        • Nov 2008

As a follow up to this I tested blocking as well and I get the same behavior. Resting with z or 5 does not grant the extra roll but using shift-z does.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                          Swordsman
                          • Apr 2010

I had a lamp of true sight turn into a regular lamp on me when I used it to fuel up a normal lamp. Is this normal or a bug?

Comment

• half
                            Knight
                            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Fendell Orcbane
                            I had a lamp of true sight turn into a regular lamp on me when I used it to fuel up a normal lamp. Is this normal or a bug?
                            That would be a bug, but I can't replicate it. It just works fine for me. If I press (u) for use, it fuels my wielded lamp with the one in my inventory. If I press (w) for wield, it swaps them. Perhaps you did that accidentally?

(By the way, for people who want to swap lanterns but not learn about the (w) command, they can just take two turns to do it by taking off the lantern (u) and then wielding the new one (u)).

Comment

• Morik
                              Rookie
                              • Feb 2012

Just dropped by to comment on the top quality and direction of Sil. I can tell you are a good designer by looking at the manual, and looking at some of the design decisions. I enjoy the stat and combat engine. Maybe create a few more distinct and interesting enemies, your orcs are fantastic.

Just some encouragement to keep going on this gem.

Comment

• will_asher
                                DaJAngband Maintainer
                                • Apr 2007

I just killed a silent watcher for the first time. Earlier in the battle, I charged it, bringing it down to one star. I thought maybe I could finish it off with throwing axes (because it kept scaring me and I could still throw the axes while scared). So when I finally killed it, I was rather annoyed to find a pile of rubble where the silent watcher used to be, burying my axes. I have no digging tools. And when I tried to move the rubble with my great axe, it said "You fail to move the rubble." So I tried several more times with the same result. Then I looked in the code and found that you have no chance without a digging tool, even with rubble. The message "You fail to move the rubble" implies that you might succeed if you keep trying. If you say "You can't dig without a digging tool", it would be a lot clearer and keep people from repeatedly banging their great axes into a pile of rubble to no effect whatsoever.
                                Also, I had heard before that you can't dig without a digging tool in Sil, but I assumed that applied to magma, quartz, and granite, but probably not to rubble. I guess I was wrong.

EDIT: Great. Now a kemenrauko caused an earthquake and trapped me. I haven't seen a digging tool all game. If you're going to make digging impossible without a digging tool, digging tools need to be available. (It also might be cool/appropriate if my staff of freedom could get me out of this...)
                                Last edited by will_asher; February 8, 2012, 03:42.
                                Will_Asher
                                aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                                http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎