X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Narvius
    Knight
    • Dec 2007

Random suggestion:
    When I played recently, I started paying attention to sounds messages (you hear a door whatever). Since Sil lacks magical detection, probably a rough estimate of how far that sound occured would be neat. Probably have certain monsters give off noise that could help you prepare in advance.
    Other existing sounds (orc shouts, for example) could also get rough distance estimates.

Song of Silence... silences all of those.
    If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• ekolis
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Speaking of Song of Silence, when you sing it, how are you able to keep singing? Don't you have to be silent? Of course, once you stop singing, you no longer have to be silent, so you can start singing again, which would silence you... throw new StackOverflowException();
      You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
      You are surrounded by a stasis field!
      The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• mtadd
        Rookie
        • Nov 2011

Originally posted by Narvius
        Random suggestion:
        When I played recently, I started paying attention to sounds messages (you hear a door whatever). Since Sil lacks magical detection, probably a rough estimate of how far that sound occured would be neat. Probably have certain monsters give off noise that could help you prepare in advance.
        Other existing sounds (orc shouts, for example) could also get rough distance estimates.

Song of Silence... silences all of those.
        Try starting up a character with the Perception abilities of Keen Senses and Listen. This works similarly to monster detection skills of other Angbands. You can also try Song of Silence on such a character to and see how its activation impacts the effectiveness of Listen.

You might have to pick a race/house with affinity to Perception or Song to pull this off on a starting character.

Comment

• Narvius
          Knight
          • Dec 2007

Originally posted by mtadd
          Try starting up a character with the Perception abilities of Keen Senses and Listen. This works similarly to monster detection skills of other Angbands. You can also try Song of Silence on such a character to and see how its activation impacts the effectiveness of Listen.

You might have to pick a race/house with affinity to Perception or Song to pull this off on a starting character.
          Oh. Alright.

Originally posted by ekolis
          Speaking of Song of Silence, when you sing it, how are you able to keep singing? Don't you have to be silent? Of course, once you stop singing, you no longer have to be silent, so you can start singing again, which would silence you... throw new StackOverflowException();
          The Song of Silence is silent itself. RTFM! :P
          If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Psi
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

How bad is "draws dangerous creatures to your level" and how often does it happen etc. Just found Arunruth which is rather lovely, but for that worrying note...

Comment

• Psi
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
              How bad is "draws dangerous creatures to your level" and how often does it happen etc. Just found Arunruth which is rather lovely, but for that worrying note...
              Eek - just found a silent watcher at 500' - normal depth 1000' !!! Hmmm... not seen one before but I guess I should steer clear...

Do I have to be wielding the sword for that curse to apply or does that one strike anyway?

[Edit]Oh, it's in the mid point of a special room - perhaps it is all part of the deal?[/Edit]

Comment

• Psi
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

...and game just crashed. At least I'd saved since Arunruth - doesn't Sil autosave on new level. Am I missing an option somewhere?

Comment

• will_asher
                  DaJAngband Maintainer
                  • Apr 2007

The description for flanking is unclear. It says "Gives you a free attack on your target if you step between two squares which are both adjacent to it." Does this mean you get a free attack if (A) the grid you just entered is between two grids which are both adjacent to the monster, or if (B) both the grid you moved from and the grid you just entered are adjacent to the monster? Also, do you have to have that monster targetted for it to work?

EDIT: I found in the code that the answer is B, but it'd be good if the description was made clear. Also found you don't have to have the monster targetted -although that way you can chose which monster your flanking ability attacks if there's more than one that fit the required circumstance.
                  Last edited by will_asher; January 31, 2012, 07:09.
                  Will_Asher
                  aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
                  http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Ah, thanks Will. I've never taken flanking because I didn't take the time to do the mental gymnastics required to figure out what it was trying to say it does. I like your description better, I can grasp that!
                    You are on something strange

Comment

• Psi
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                      Ah, thanks Will. I've never taken flanking because I didn't take the time to do the mental gymnastics required to figure out what it was trying to say it does. I like your description better, I can grasp that!
                      You've been missing a treat then! With flanking (and enhanced by charge and sprinting), things just die as you run past. Throw opportunist into the mix and you can quickly become as complacent as I am...

Comment

• Jungle_Boy
                        Swordsman
                        • Nov 2008

I think I found a bug in 1.01. It looks like focused attack is not working according to the combat rolls window. I tried waiting with the 'z' key, comma, and numpad '5'. None of them made a difference in my attack value.

Also it seems like the 'gorged' and 'blind' messages can sometimes be overwritten by blank space causing them to not display correctly even if you are in that condition.
                        My first winner: http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-show.php?id=10138

Comment

• half
                          Knight
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Jungle_Boy
                          I think I found a bug in 1.01. It looks like focused attack is not working according to the combat rolls window. I tried waiting with the 'z' key, comma, and numpad '5'. None of them made a difference in my attack value.
                          It is working for me. Try attacking a monster, seeing the number displayed in the combat rolls window, then pressing '5' then attacking again. I see the attack number go up by half my perception score. If you don't then there might be some strange bug with it not working sometimes.

Also it seems like the 'gorged' and 'blind' messages can sometimes be overwritten by blank space causing them to not display correctly even if you are in that condition.
                          I've known about this bug since late in the beta phase, but I haven't been able to replicate it enough to debug it. Do you know what seems to bring it on? Is it possible to make it happen deliberately? If so I could quite easily fix it.

Comment

• Scatha
                            Swordsman
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by half
                            I've known about this bug since late in the beta phase, but I haven't been able to replicate it enough to debug it. Do you know what seems to bring it on? Is it possible to make it happen deliberately? If so I could quite easily fix it.
                            I'd been meaning to let you know that I just yesterday worked out a (very easy!) way to get this to happen. It seems to happen for me every time I rest (Z, not z). I think it had also happened in some cases when forging, but I'm not certain.

Comment

• Scatha
                              Swordsman
                              • Jan 2012

And to answer a couple of Psi's questions:

Danger means that all monsters are generated from a level deeper than usual.

The game should indeed autosave at the start of each level. Odd that it didn't. Do you know what made it crash?

Comment

• Psi
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Scatha
                                The game should indeed autosave at the start of each level. Odd that it didn't. Do you know what made it crash?
                                I'd fallen through the floor to reach the new level if that makes a difference.

No idea about the cause of the crash I'm afraid.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎