• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Sil 1.0.1

I've just released Sil 1.0.1

It is mainly a bug fixing release, and its main feature is probably that it should allow Pav to get the ladder working properly. It should be savefile compatible with 1.0 but I would recommend making a copy of your savefile before loading with 1.0.1 just in case there is a bug that I haven't spotted with the conversion. Here is the full change list:

Code:
    - interface
    	- corrected the keypad in the (?) screen
    	- made Angband-like keyset use (+) instead of (/)
    	- brought back the (M) map command due to popular request
    	- using torches and lanterns now refuels your current one by default (if you are already wielding one)
    		- if you want to swap torches/lanterns, just remove the existing one first
    		- it now warns you about overfueling

- display
    	- added a 'Score' line to the character dumps to help with the Angband ladder
    	- made the combat rolls window more compact and more flexible
    	- removed monster health, alertness and morale info for the target if out of sight
    	- fixed display of "Mindless"
    	- fixed display of hits doing 10 damage
    	- stopped printing an empty description for one handed weapons
    	- added weights of weapons to character dumps
    	- fixed display of dates
    	- now shows artefacts' abilities in the Artefact info screen
    	- now tags the finding of an artefact with the level you identify it on
    		- but *also* shows the level it was found on if that was different
    	- no longer tells you that you didn't enter a greater vault if you didn't discover the vault
    		- but you still can never find that vault again
    	- now displays the correct depth for the note about missing a greater vault
    		- instead of the new depth you went to from that level
    	- adds a small screenshot to character dumps for dead characters

- potion of true sight now gives (temporary) resistance to blindness

- reduced the Will of cat-type creatures
    	- making them more vulnerable to being put to sleep/terrified

- abilities
    	- fixed the second prerequisite for Strength (to Knock Back)
    	- made the Song of Aule cost only 1/3 of a point of voice per turn
    	- the Song of Freedom now disarms and unlocks chests
    	- the Song of Freedom now has all its difficulty levels in skill checks reduced by 5

- items
    	- added Lesser Jewels
    	- fixed a bug where items with different prot values could be stacked together
    	- fixed a bug where weapons of Fury gave Knock Back instead of Whirlwind
    		- and daggers of accompaniment gave Rapid Attack instead of Two Weapon Fighting
    	- allows {special} items to stack before being identified if they have the same type
    		- most useful for found stacks of {special} throwing items
    	- staves of revelations now work in the Throne Room (if you get one there, good luck to you!)

- artefacts
    	- some minor changes to rarity and to the artefacts themselves

- monsters
    	- decreased the evasion of the Cat warrior family of creatures by a small amount

- traps
    	- change "trap doors" to "false floors"
    		- trap doors are a bit too comic in flavour
    		- the effect is basically the same
    		- tweaked to avoid ever killing characters with the damage

- staircases
    	- no longer take 100 turns of food and game clock
    	- the forcing downwards time limits still avoid the infinite levels problem
    	- the 'stair-scumming' problem of going up and down repeatedly is now avoided with trapped stairs
    	- trapped stairs
    		- there is a chance that the stairs give way beneath you like a trap door / false floor
    		- this chance is miniscule or even zero in normal play
    		- but it goes up the more you use the stairs in quick succession
    		- attempts to stairscum will quickly lead to being injured on a level with no escape 
    		- we think this is pretty difficult to abuse..
    Last edited by half; January 18, 2012, 00:17.
  • half
    Knight
    • Jan 2009

Pav, the character dumps now have a line near the bottom which says (for example):

['Score' 010097864]

The number is to be used to sort the characters on the ladder (in exactly the way the game sorts them internally).

Scores above 41,100,000 are winners.

If you can print the House of the character after the Race, just as you would print the Class in other variants, that would be great.

Ideally the existing characters can be brought into line with the new scores, but I'm not sure if this is too much work. If it is possible to do, you can calculate their 'score' by doing:

maxdepth * 1,000,000 + (100,000 - turns)

Where maxdepth is the 'max depth' column which goes from 1 to 20.

Even just the maxdepth * 1,000,000 will be a good approximation if it is possible and the full formula is too hard. There are a couple of other components, so this won't work perfectly, but it will help a lot! I think the only characters it won't sort properly are those who have already got a Silmaril. I can calculate their 'scores' and send them to you if that helps.

Comment

• ekolis
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

I was poking around in my Sil 1.0.0 folder to get my savegame out before installing Sil 1.0.1, and I happened to peek into the lib/xtra/graf folder... imagine my surprise when I found TilePicker.html! I remember creating that... and finding that it stopped working after some browser updates! :P

edit: hmm, I think I found a bug in 1.0.1... the 16x25 font doesn't work anymore; choosing it blanks the window!

edit2: I just noticed that Sindar get +1 GRA, but then the ONLY subrace option (of Doriath) gets an additional +1 GRA... wouldn't it make more sense for Sindar to get +2 GRA, so as to represent the race more accurately to players who haven't selected one yet?
      Last edited by ekolis; January 18, 2012, 03:00.
      You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
      You are surrounded by a stasis field!
      The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• half
        Knight
        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by ekolis
        I was poking around in my Sil 1.0.0 folder to get my savegame out before installing Sil 1.0.1, and I happened to peek into the lib/xtra/graf folder... imagine my surprise when I found TilePicker.html! I remember creating that... and finding that it stopped working after some browser updates! :P
        Ah, I haven't touched anything in the xtra folder (or even looked in it properly). I do want to get the Shockbolt tiles working at some point though!

edit: hmm, I think I found a bug in 1.0.1... the 16x25 font doesn't work anymore; choosing it blanks the window!
        That is odd, as I haven't touched any font-related things. If other people can confirm that the 16x25 font worked with 1.0 and doesn't work with 1.0.1 I'd be interested to know.

edit2: I just noticed that Sindar get +1 GRA, but then the ONLY subrace option (of Doriath) gets an additional +1 GRA... wouldn't it make more sense for Sindar to get +2 GRA, so as to represent the race more accurately to players who haven't selected one yet?
        This is a peculiarity of them having only one House, but I think it is probably the right way to do it. If I add all of this to the Sindar race, then they will look better than they should compared to the other races, since they all get House bonuses.

Comment

• Narvius
          Knight
          • Dec 2007

Still no auto-more? :3
          If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• Scatha
            Swordsman
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by ekolis
            On Windows, both 16x25 fonts work for me -- but I did have a problem with some previous version updates where some fonts stopped working. Restarting my computer seemed to fix the problem, which didn't recur. Does this work for you?

Comment

• ekolis
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Oh, hey, thanks, rebooting did fix it! I guess the game or Windows or something was trying to use a cached version of the font (I'd been using it in Sil 1.0.0) but since the file had been deleted and replaced somehow it got stuck in limbo?
              You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
              You are surrounded by a stasis field!
              The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• half
                Knight
                • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Narvius
                Still no auto-more? :3
                I'd forgotten about this. It is much less of a problem in Sil, as players and monsters only get one attack per round each in most cases (monsters with two attacks do one of them 2/3 of the time and the other one 1/3 of the time). Is it still a big problem? I'd like to help my players, but I'm resistant to adding too many options, so could all people who want this speak now and I'll see if it is worth it.

Comment

• sethos
                  Apprentice
                  • Oct 2011

I'd like to have it - I've already lost at least 3 characters to button mashing, when I wasn't expecting a (more) to pop up.
                  You should save my signature. It might be worth something someday.

Comment

• Fendell Orcbane
                    Swordsman
                    • Apr 2010

I just tried Sil and I like it a lot. It feels dangerous....

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                      Veteran
                      • Jan 2012

It feels like an Ironman Angband, with a First Age Theme. Of all variants, I think Sil is the most fun of all time. The game may look easy at first glance, but it has a very steep learning curve that hits hard and fast. Its difficulty is at another level. It reinforces strategic thinking when approaching certain monsters at a certain level, especially after having lost many characters, from being overconfident. Also, adding a screenshot section for the death char dump is a nice addition.

My two cents,
                      HugoTheGreat2011
                      My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Narvius
                        Knight
                        • Dec 2007

Yes. If the <more> prompts were regularly distributed, it wouldn't be a problem, but sometimes there are none, sometimes two, usually one. While I never died due to it, I did have quite a few missteps.

Since there is a messages subwindow, any particular messages that may have been overlooked in the topbar are still accessible.
                        If you can convincingly pretend you're crazy, you probably are.

Comment

• pav
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by half
                          Pav, the character dumps now have a line near the bottom which says (for example):

['Score' 010097864]

The number is to be used to sort the characters on the ladder (in exactly the way the game sorts them internally).

Scores above 41,100,000 are winners.
                          First, sorry for late reply.

Okay great! The Ladder is now sorted by this number. I decided against hand-fixing 1.0.0 dumps, they are just few and will be soon forgotten anyway as everyone jumps to 1.0.1
                          See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

• Scatha
                            Swordsman
                            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by pav
                            First, sorry for late reply.

Okay great! The Ladder is now sorted by this number. I decided against hand-fixing 1.0.0 dumps, they are just few and will be soon forgotten anyway as everyone jumps to 1.0.1
                            Hi Pav,

Thanks, great to have it sorted by this number. Two further requests, if they're not too tricky to implement:

- Although the 'score' is used to sort the ladder, could the column be made invisible? (I know you said you did this for 'level'.) It's just a function of some other public information, and its prominence suggests more meaning than it has.

- You may have missed this buried in half's post: "If you can print the House of the character after the Race, just as you would print the Class in other variants, that would be great."

Comment

• pav
                              Administrator
                              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Scatha
                              - Although the 'score' is used to sort the ladder, could the column be made invisible? (I know you said you did this for 'level'.) It's just a function of some other public information, and its prominence suggests more meaning than it has.
                              I don't want to hide it, for two reasons: 1) it would not be obvious how are the entries sorted 2) you could not reasonably change the sorting by interacting with the column header
                              Originally posted by Scatha
                              - You may have missed this buried in half's post: "If you can print the House of the character after the Race, just as you would print the Class in other variants, that would be great."
                              Done! (Appended it to Race actually, or should I use it in place of Class?)
                              See the elves and everything! http://angband.oook.cz

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎