Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BlueFish
    Swordsman
    • Aug 2011

Is there a general principle behind rounding or truncating of values? Many rules are based on "for every x pounds, there is a bonus/minus of 1".

There's how armor affects stealth, or how weapon weight affects critical chance, for instance. Are weights always truncated to the integer floor? I.e. does 1 pound mean the same thing for bonuses and minuses as 1.9 pounds, in every case?

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

If you look at your character sheet you'll see that at least for stealth & weapon damage it's always rounded down e.g. 19.9 pounds of armour is -1 stealth, 20.0 pounds is -2. I assume it's the same for other cases. On a related question what is the weapon weight of monsters for critical hits? Do some get bonuses or penalties?

Comment

• debo
        Veteran
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by wobbly
        On a related question what is the weapon weight of monsters for critical hits? Do some get bonuses or penalties?
        I believe the rule is a monster with damage die XdY will hit as if their weapon weighs X pounds. (Or 2X pounds, I can't remember now.)
        Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Scatha
          Swordsman
          • Jan 2012

Originally posted by taptap
          Yes, it works with integer thresholds and says so, only exception are w/ momentum and most importantly multiple critical hits (for a double critical effective threshold is .5 lb, for triple .4 and .7 lb, for quadruple .3, .5, .8 etc.) This makes .0 lb weapons the best .1 / .2 still good and all other weights worse - at least for light and medium weapons.
          It doesn't work like this, but I've been wondering whether it should. It seems a like it may be a better fit for the general game mechanics than the current system (which is 0.5 points away from that, and not in the player's favour, so a 1.4lb shortsword gets rounded down to 1lb for the first critical, while 1.5lb would be rounded up). We moved to this from the opposite system of integer thresholds, where anything above an integer part would be rounded up, which was problematic because integer weight weapons were just significantly better than anything else. We definitely like multiplying the weight before rounding for critical purposes, though.

Yes, a monster with X damage dice treats the weapon as 2X pounds for critical purposes.

Comment

• taptap
            Knight
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Scatha
            It doesn't work like this, but I've been wondering whether it should. It seems a like it may be a better fit for the general game mechanics than the current system (which is 0.5 points away from that, and not in the player's favour, so a 1.4lb shortsword gets rounded down to 1lb for the first critical, while 1.5lb would be rounded up). We moved to this from the opposite system of integer thresholds, where anything above an integer part would be rounded up, which was problematic because integer weight weapons were just significantly better than anything else. We definitely like multiplying the weight before rounding for critical purposes, though.

Yes, a monster with X damage dice treats the weapon as 2X pounds for critical purposes.
            Maybe I shouldn't present my ill informed impressions anymore - most of what I wrote elsewhere turns out to be wrong as well.

So before a 1.1lb sword was like a 2lb sword regarding criticals just without the strength bonus in this system and now the 1.5 lb sword is like a 2lb sword regarding criticals just lacking the strength bonus while 1.0-1.4lb doesn't make a difference at all? It surely is simpler than what I imagined. Sorry for the mess I made out of the threads, you surely can play without understanding everything.

Comment

• Scatha
              Swordsman
              • Jan 2012

Sorry, no, I explained badly. Let me just give a couple of examples.

A 1.4lb sword gets its first critical at the same time as a 1lb sword, but for the second critical you get 1.4*2 = 2.8 which is rounded up to 3, so you need to hit by 1 more to get a critical than with a 1lb sword.

A 1.1lb sword acts like a 1lb sword until the 5th critical, where 5.5 gets rounded up to 6.

A 1.5lb sword acts like a 2lb sword for the first critical, but it's the same as the 1.4lb sword for the second critical.

Comment

• taptap
                Knight
                • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Scatha
                Sorry, no, I explained badly. Let me just give a couple of examples.

A 1.4lb sword gets its first critical at the same time as a 1lb sword, but for the second critical you get 1.4*2 = 2.8 which is rounded up to 3, so you need to hit by 1 more to get a critical than with a 1lb sword.

A 1.1lb sword acts like a 1lb sword until the 5th critical, where 5.5 gets rounded up to 6.

A 1.5lb sword acts like a 2lb sword for the first critical, but it's the same as the 1.4lb sword for the second critical.
                Thank you. So, it is indeed multiplied before rounding and I just got the tipping point wrong? It isn't integers but normal rounding to the next integer after mulitplication?

Comment

• Scatha
                  Swordsman
                  • Jan 2012

Yes, exactly. I was trying to say that I think there's a case for using the floor --as you thought we already did -- rather than our current behaviour (we'd previously used the ceiling, which gave the pathological behaviour).

Comment

• taptap
                    Knight
                    • Jan 2013

Is it possible to show the turn count on the main screen?

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

Did you mean MAIN SCREEN TURN ON?
                      Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                        Veteran
                        • Jun 2007

Originally posted by debo
                        Did you mean MAIN SCREEN TURN ON?
                        Calm down, Clippy!

Comment

• clouded
                          Swordsman
                          • Jun 2012

Edit: Actually, I am just going to try and record a good game in a ttyrec instead of setting a time for termcasting. If anyone has ideas for what would be cool to see, I am open to suggestions.
                          Last edited by clouded; May 11, 2013, 11:21.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

You're the only player I know to have won with all the races, so, I guess I would be most curious to see a human win.
                            You are on something strange

Comment

• clouded
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2012

Okay, sounds good. I've played a little already. Not to jinx it, but it is looking quite good. It's substantial enough to be worth posting regardless of the outcome, but also enough that I won't feel like trying again if I don't win (but, I should win if I play well).

Comment

• Starhawk
                                Adept
                                • Sep 2010

Sooooooooo heartbreakingly close to my first win.

I had a character that was regularly doing 13d11 assassination strikes and spanked Ungoliant like a red-headed stepchild... just wonderful stuff, brought on by finding the Sword of Galadriel at 150`.

Alas, I pulled a dumb move that I'd read about elsewhere in this thread... I forgot to clear an inventory spot for the Silmaril. And it landed UNDER MORGOTH. And by that time, I was mobbed by troll guards and the boss balrog.

And I was still doing ok (mid-30s evasion and loads of consumables) but just panicked and the bad guys got a couple lucky hits on me while i was trying to lead them away from the Silmaril, and..... DAMMMMMMN.

I think I might have actually been better off clearing the entire level and then taking on Morgoth afterward. He was the only unique of real consequence at that point...

I love this &*^!*@$&^*!&@$ game.... now what am I going to do about the crater in my desk from beating my head into it?

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎