Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Irashtar
    Scout
    • Oct 2007

Great game, it mixes wonderfully the feel of many different roguelikes into a cohesive whole with a unique flavor of its own.

BUT WHY DID YOU REMOVE REPEAT OBVIOUS COMMANDS PICKING LOCKS TAKES FOREVER

Comment

• half
      Knight
      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Irashtar
      Great game, it mixes wonderfully the feel of many different roguelikes into a cohesive whole with a unique flavor of its own.

BUT WHY DID YOU REMOVE REPEAT OBVIOUS COMMANDS PICKING LOCKS TAKES FOREVER
      You can to this by hitting 'R' for repeat and then 'o'. However, if picking locks is taking too long, then you should increase your perception or start bashing instead. Time is critical in Sil and auto-repeat on picking locks would lead to people not noticing that they were ruining their chances of victory by spending too long on locks.

Comment

• Philip
        Knight
        • Jul 2009

I just started playing Sil and have a couple of questions. My character is a house of Feanor stealth/melee/smith guy. I found an enchanted forge with two uses, but I spent all but 330 EXP on learning how to smith. I have no raw materials and in smithing have armorsmithing and the skill to make {special} items.
        Also, why is there no light? I can't find any light sources. Or food for that matter.
        EDIT: How do you restore stats? By the way, my least favorite monster now is the violet mold. My favorite one is the sword spider. It's only killed me once, and that character was doomed anyway.

Comment

• half
          Knight
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Philip
          I just started playing Sil and have a couple of questions. My character is a house of Feanor stealth/melee/smith guy. I found an enchanted forge with two uses, but I spent all but 330 EXP on learning how to smith. I have no raw materials and in smithing have armorsmithing and the skill to make {special} items.
          Also, why is there no light? I can't find any light sources. Or food for that matter.
          EDIT: How do you restore stats? By the way, my least favorite monster now is the violet mold. My favorite one is the sword spider. It's only killed me once, and that character was doomed anyway.
          Firstly, I'd pause the current character and play the tutorial. It explains smithing and everything else.

There are normally plenty of torches (twice as many as you need?) and you will normally find a lantern by 300 to 500 ft. There is enough food, but it is not trivial, and you might need to consume unwanted potions or herbs for their food value. You will have trouble if you are wearing a ring of hunger.

Stats are restored by potions of Dexterity, Strength etc. and by herbs of restoration. You might want to invest in the ability Keen Senses, it will effectively increase your light radius by one for seeing monsters, and will mean that you never again have to deliberately step into range of a violet mold (the best way to deal with them is just to ignore them if possible).

Comment

• Philip
            Knight
            • Jul 2009

Thanks, I've played the tutorial, I just need a hint on what armors are good to make. How do you get Keen Senses? Where will I find these potions and herbs.

Comment

• half
              Knight
              • Jan 2009

Thanks, I've played the tutorial, I just need a hint on what armors are good to make. How do you get Keen Senses? Where will I find these potions and herbs.
              The best armours to make really depends upon what you have at the moment and what type of character you are. For example, some characters are geared towards light armour and high evasion, while others try for mostly protection or for a combination. Some already have a source of fire resistance, others need to get amour with it etc. I'd make something that sounds useful or fun. Boots of speed are good if you can get up to 500 experience from killing a few other creatures. Try to avoid making items that will drain your stats in the forging too early in the game.

To get Keen Senses or any other abilities, just press Tab. It is in the perception tree.

The potions and herbs will simply turn up in the dungeon, but you might need to get to 400 ft or so. In general, Sil rewards diving fairly quickly and playing carefully and cleverly. It is much shorter than Angband (4 to 8 hours to win?) so it can require subjecting your character to risk through the whole time, as opposed to the 20+ hour roguelikes.

Comment

• Philip
                Knight
                • Jul 2009

Thanks for the tips.
                EDIT: What does a trumpet do?
                Last edited by Philip; March 11, 2012, 13:56.

Comment

• Ferian
                  Rookie
                  • Nov 2011

What stacks?

I am a little unclear on what things stack in sil. I know it is different than vanilla because elemental resists stack, but what about hunger and sustenance? Does wearing multiple items that slow your hunger or increase your hunger stack? Would two hunger items make you twice as hungry as one? And if you had two items that increase hunger but only one item that decreased hunger would you still get hungry as if you had one hunger item, or is it like vanilla where hunger and anti-hunger are just flags that are either on or off?

Comment

• Ferian
                    Rookie
                    • Nov 2011

Thanks for the tips.
                    EDIT: What does a trumpet do?
                    Trumpets are the equivalent of rods in vanilla. They have various effects when used depending on which one you have. Using one uses up some of your voice like singing, so that is the limit on how often you can use them.

Comment

• Scatha
                      Swordsman
                      • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Ferian
                      I am a little unclear on what things stack in sil. I know it is different than vanilla because elemental resists stack, but what about hunger and sustenance? Does wearing multiple items that slow your hunger or increase your hunger stack? Would two hunger items make you twice as hungry as one? And if you had two items that increase hunger but only one item that decreased hunger would you still get hungry as if you had one hunger item, or is it like vanilla where hunger and anti-hunger are just flags that are either on or off?
                      These stack (as do most things in Sil). Add up all your hunger values (where sustenance is -1), and then you multiply your food consumption by 3 to the power of this number.

Gaining abilities doesn't stack: there's no bonus for having two sources granting something, or one source and also the ability yourself. This is slightly anomalous, but the alternative would be to add a large amount of complexity by giving every ability an upgraded version which you could only get in this way, and for some of them there isn't any natural way to do this.

I'm not actually sure whether resistances like free action or resist fear (which give a +10 bonus to your roll) stack. For consistency they probably should (particular as of 1.0.2 where the curses all stack).

Comment

• Ferian
                        Rookie
                        • Nov 2011

Sustain stats doesn't always work?

My character is wearing armor that sustains dex, but he just got dex drained by a monster... is this another one of those where sustain just adds +10 to the roll?

Comment

• half
                          Knight
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Ferian
                          My character is wearing armor that sustains dex, but he just got dex drained by a monster... is this another one of those where sustain just adds +10 to the roll?
                          Yes, that's right. It is very large bonus, but doesn't grant complete immunity. Note that Will checks are opposed 1d10 rolls, so +10 is very big.

Comment

• MCP
                            Rookie
                            • Sep 2007

Hi,
                            I am using Mac OS X 10.7.3 and I downloaded Sil 1.0.2.

When I click on Special->graphics->8x8 or 16x16 or 32x32, it returns a 'Cannot Initialize Graphics' warning.

Repeat:
                            1. Start tutorial
                            2. Try to turn on graphics, fails.
                            3. Move around a bit, try again, still fails.

Also, occasionally, it didn't pop up a window with the error, despite not initializing the graphics.

I repeated with a new character, accepting default conditions where I could by hitting enter during character creation.

Comment

• half
                              Knight
                              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by MCP
                              When I click on Special->graphics->8x8 or 16x16 or 32x32, it returns a 'Cannot Initialize Graphics' warning.
                              Sorry about that! The graphics simply don't work. Everyone plays Sil in ASCII.

I inherited some minor graphics capability (which partly works on PC and not at all on Macs), but have not touched it yet. I probably will for a future version. I thus don't want to strip out the code completely. I will try to add a note saying they don't work to the Mac version.

Comment

• Angloki
                                Rookie
                                • Nov 2010

Some ideas for future release

Many thanks for this variant - abandoning old system in such way is just super. Love it.) I have some ideas after playing about thirty characters (I got only through half of the game, though).

General ones:
                                *) Continuous centering is misbehaving on certain lines
                                *) Edain need some love
                                *) A bit more variety for races (supporting stealth & evasion, for ex.)
                                *) Disarming traps should yield some xp
                                *) There should be more blunt weapons (plus minor support in skills/races)
                                *) Healing salves - could be weak, but there should be something like that
                                *) More ways to restore lowered attributes (spending xp?)
                                *) Hitting unaware creatures should be always easier (at least +1)
                                *) Running out of light could stop smithing (to make light matter a bit more)
                                *) Stairs (& perhaps forges) might be colored as they are important

Some skills suggestions - these four seems to be a bit weak
                                *) Add passive bonus against missiles for 'Blocking' skill
                                *) Add small (+1) bonus for 'Point Blank' when shooting at close range
                                *) 'Inner Light' could lower morale of attacking undead or something
                                *) 'Hardiness' might be more useful with will/5 (it's not such a deal-breaker)
                                Last edited by Angloki; May 4, 2012, 19:18.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎