X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Estie
    I have have to say I am not going to play on the server anymore. Between inability to configure keys, delay and a different colour code it is just too painfull. I have to strain my eyes to "read" the screen and am getting a headache after prolongued play, and everything is taking about 3 times as long.
    All this should be fixed now.

Comment

• Gwarl
      Administrator
      • Jan 2017

Be warned, Sil is still problematic - it's creating savefiles, but it isn't loading them. So while you can save your progress, you can't load it back again.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Gwarl
        Be warned, Sil is still problematic - it's creating savefiles, but it isn't loading them. So while you can save your progress, you can't load it back again.
        J.R.R. Tolkien won't be happy about that
        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Ironshod Al
          Scout
          • Apr 2017

I just started a new game on angband.live. This is my first time playing on the server after the major updates. Here's my inital experience with the new setup:

The preference files for cursor movement works. Shift-running works fine and arrow keys work fine in the autopicker using cursor.prf. I still have to remember to press ESC+c instead of ctrl+w when exiting autopicker. Ctrl+w is one of the few keypresses that go directly to the browser. F11 (browser fullscreen) is captured by the game for some reason, but clicking in the chat/login area removes focus from the game, so it's not a problem.

I set the browser to fullscreen (after loading the page) to play. Otherwise, the bottom of the screen is outside the browser window. It cuts the status line (heroism etc) in half. Even in fullscreen the chat and login area is halfway outside the screen. Hiding the bookmark toolbar in the browser works as well, but it is easier to switch to fullscreen. My screen resolution is 1440x900. As it is my primary monitor there's a Windows task bar at the bottom, so there's less than 900px available vertically. The task bar most likely takes up 70-80 pixels. My browser is Firefox and my OS is Windows 7.

The font is a bit wonky. Letters that goes below the base line (g, j, y, p, q etc.) are cropped a bit at the bottom. Thus g and q looks a little alike, but not bad enough that it hurts gameplay. At least I haven't had problems yet.

I don't intend to do town quests in my current game. If testing town quests (vapor quest et at) is still needed, I don't mind testing with this character. It has to be tuesday or wednesday as the character will be dead/have won around wednesday evening (UTC+02:00) at the latest.

Comment

• Gwarl
            Administrator
            • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Ironshod Al
            I set the browser to fullscreen (after loading the page) to play. Otherwise, the bottom of the screen is outside the browser window. It cuts the status line (heroism etc) in half. Even in fullscreen the chat and login area is halfway outside the screen. Hiding the bookmark toolbar in the browser works as well, but it is easier to switch to fullscreen. My screen resolution is 1440x900. As it is my primary monitor there's a Windows task bar at the bottom, so there's less than 900px available vertically. The task bar most likely takes up 70-80 pixels. My browser is Firefox and my OS is Windows 7.
            Interesting. I use Firefox myself, so I was hoping you were going to say you used chrome then I'd have something to work with. The method I'm using to get browser dimensions is geared toward firefox and I think supposed to exclude toolbars. I'll take a closer look.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
              Veteran
              • Jan 2009

How do I manipulate the cursor.prf or common.prf (wherever the shift-run options are kept)?
              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Gwarl
                Administrator
                • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Ingwe Ingweron
                How do I manipulate the cursor.prf or common.prf (wherever the shift-run options are kept)?
                cursor.prf is specific to poschengband and deals with using the mogaminator rather than shiftrunning.

angband loads two sets of pref files - those stored in the common directory and those stored in the user directory. I can add new default pref files to the common directory without them loading automatically, to make them available to everyone. User pref files defined in game are saved to a per user directory. If you give your pref file the same name as your character, as I understand it will load when you play a character of that name.

Shiftrunning is currently the default - I modified the existing pref files to achieve this. Saving your own pref files should let you override this behaviour to whatever you prefer.

In particular, to turn off running with arrow keys map the arrow keys to ;4, ;8, ;2 and ;6 as appropriate.

Comment

• Ironshod Al
                  Scout
                  • Apr 2017

I played a lot yesterday, so here's a bit more feedback on the cropped font.

g and q looks very similar and I occasionally buy the wrong thing in shops or select the wrong item from inventory. That's just due to impatience or something as I could easily identify the actual letter by looking at the surrounding items.

A bigger problem is that staves are almost invisible. They show up as empty tiles (similar to space monsters) because the visible part of the font is cut away. I spent more time in the item list than usual to make sure I don't miss out on staves.

I haven't tried to adjust font size in the browser. I'll try that today.

Comment

• kandrc
                    Swordsman
                    • Dec 2007

I played a lot yesterday, so here's a bit more feedback on the cropped font.

g and q looks very similar and I occasionally buy the wrong thing in shops or select the wrong item from inventory. That's just due to impatience or something as I could easily identify the actual letter by looking at the surrounding items.

A bigger problem is that staves are almost invisible. They show up as empty tiles (similar to space monsters) because the visible part of the font is cut away. I spent more time in the item list than usual to make sure I don't miss out on staves.

I haven't tried to adjust font size in the browser. I'll try that today.
                    This is what happens if you configure the game to load a font which is larger than the tile size.

Comment

• Ironshod Al
                      Scout
                      • Apr 2017

Changing font size in the browser doesn't solve anything. The fort scales on the screen, but is still cropped and staves are still almost invisible.
                      I tried to look for a way to change font size without access to the game menu, but didn't find anythiing useful. I've only looked in the = menu, though.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Gwarl
                        Shiftrunning is currently the default - I modified the existing pref files to achieve this. Saving your own pref files should let you override this behaviour to whatever you prefer.

In particular, to turn off running with arrow keys map the arrow keys to ;4, ;8, ;2 and ;6 as appropriate.
                        I did this to walk with the arrow keys, but since it wouldn't also allow me to map a shift-arrow in order to run, as it works ordinarily in angband, I found a work around: mapping <fn> arrow works, so I mapped those combinations for running. On the mac laptop keyboard, the <fn> key is just below the left shift key, so hopefully my muscle memory won't be too far off.
                        “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                        ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Gwarl
                          Administrator
                          • Jan 2017

Al, your display issues are the next thing on my agenda. My original 'most cases' fix was off for wobbly's resolution, and the subsequent 'most cases' fix is off for yours. I should stop making assumptions about 'most cases' I suspect.

I'm getting the same issues with staves and q/g as everyone else. Which is odd. There's no 'tile size' as such, just lines of monospace text doing their thing. I have set the line-height to 1.0, I'll try adding a pixel and adjusting height/width calculations accordingly.

Comment

• Ironshod Al
                            Scout
                            • Apr 2017

Gwarl, good to hear you can reproduce the problem. I'm away from my computer for the next 3-4 days, so I can't offer any help testing whatever solution you come up with until I'm back.
                            I must say I have enjoyed the progress on the server so far. Great work.

Comment

• kandrc
                              Swordsman
                              • Dec 2007

Changing font size in the browser doesn't solve anything. The fort scales on the screen, but is still cropped and staves are still almost invisible.
                              I tried to look for a way to change font size without access to the game menu, but didn't find anythiing useful. I've only looked in the = menu, though.
                              It's not accessable from a menu. With the x11 port, it's in x11-settings.prf. Not sure about other ports.

Comment

• Ironshod Al
                                Scout
                                • Apr 2017

Originally posted by kandrc
                                It's not accessable from a menu. With the x11 port, it's in x11-settings.prf. Not sure about other ports.
                                Ok, so the menus I see in my local version is because these settings were wrapped in a Windows GUI and stored in poschengband.INI. The actual game just sends text info to the GUI wrapper and let that decide how to scale stuff based on the external settings. Makes sense. I initially thought the menus might reflect something accessible somewhere inside the game.
                                Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍