X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • memmaker
    Rookie
    • Jan 2024

Out of Memory! On NDS Lite

Is this something that's to be expected, because the Nintendo DS Lite is not supported by the build, or should this work?

I can get into the game just fine, and walk through town, but when I try to descend the first staircase I get an "Out of Memory!" error message and the device freezes.

Tested on real Hardware using a flash cart.

Version: 4.2.5-140-ge5d3a...
    Last edited by memmaker; March 3, 2024, 18:25.
  • backwardsEric
    Knight
    • Aug 2019

From the comments on the port to NDS, https://github.com/angband/angband/pull/4660 , some adjustments to values in lib/gamedata/constants.txt would be needed to get things to run on the NDS without out-of-memory errors. Decreasing the maximum number of monsters per level, "level-max:monsters" and the maximum dimensions for a level, "world-dungeon-hgt" and "world:dungeon-wid" were the constants mentioned by timschumi but specific values that worked were not mentioned. Far down in those comments, asiekierka said "Right now, Angband has ~3MB of constant memory usage on NDS (out of its 4MB). This requires users to reduce dungeon size to play the game."

Comment

• memmaker
      Rookie
      • Jan 2024

Thanks for the hint, reducing monsters to 256 and height and width of the dungeon to around 80-100ish enabled me to get down the staircase.

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎