What was the item on your early x-9 level ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • will_asher
    DaJAngband Maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Last time it was the last Nature spell book. And I'm a druid, so that's nice, but I can't use it for a while. (and I have never gotten far enough as a druid to be able to use it, but I am doing pretty good this game. -knock on wood. EDIT: nevermind, I died.)

Then I found another 8-9 level, but an imp told me to go to another level before I found what was there. (Did they always have telelevel?)
    Last edited by will_asher; April 7, 2021, 12:07.
    Will_Asher
    aka LibraryAdventurer

My old variant DaJAngband:
    http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Estie
      Veteran
      • Apr 2008

8-9 isnt great news, for two resons:

1. It probably means a vault and early on that is not something you want to deal with early, unless you happen to have accsess to (a good amount of) TO.

2. It is also more likely to comprise of a multitude of items with rating which individually might not be all that great.

Comment

• Sky
        Veteran
        • Oct 2016

Found some boots of speed +9 on DL21 and the level feeling was 2-6.

I also found the dream of every nerd here, a Ring of the Mouse (0,-3) {+3,+4}
        even with +3 DEX is still didnt raise my DPS, but hey.
        "i can take this dracolich"

Comment

• will_asher
          DaJAngband Maintainer
          • Apr 2007

4-9 feeling on dL15, was excited to see what I'd find. Turns out to be a Adamantine plate mail (+0). another disappointment.
          Will_Asher
          aka LibraryAdventurer

http://sites.google.com/site/dajangbandwebsite/home (defunct and so old it's forked from Angband 3.1.0 -I think- but it's probably playable...)

Comment

• Thraalbee
            Knight
            • Sep 2010

That early the high AC may actually be useful

Comment

• will_asher
              DaJAngband Maintainer
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Thraalbee
              That early the high AC may actually be useful
              but wearing 42lb armor isn't worth it.
              Will_Asher
              aka LibraryAdventurer

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Yep. Adamantine armor existed only as an expensive deadweight to sell to the store. Mithril armor is another story.
                Last edited by Pete Mack; April 28, 2021, 12:31.

Comment

• Sky
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2016

no no no.

I have once found a superb Adamantium Plate Mail and wore it; yes, it did shield me from most orc blows, but my base Spd was -2 and i could not carry anything. As a warrior.

AC is nice to have but carrying weight, speed and SP are a far more important consideration. I would only discard an armor based on AC when it's near endgame - i wouldn't wear a Robe [1, +8] unless it had some really obscene bonus, like +2 blows.
                  Also because by that time you can wear pretty much any weight of armour.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                    Prophet
                    • Apr 2007

I just found a weak amulet of trickery on dl 19, LF 3-9. +1 dex an speed isn't much, but +4 infravision is nice for a Dunadan without SI. Not to mention +2 steslth, rPoison and rNexus

Comment

• fph
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2009

Incidentally, why are adamantine plate mails so heavy? Adamantine in D&D is light, see e.g. https://olddungeonmaster.com/2016/12...-of-materials/ , and I assume it is based on diamonds in real life, which are lighter than most metals.
                      --
                      Dive fast, die young, leave a high-CHA corpse.

Comment

• forenmagra
                        Rookie
                        • Mar 2020

Only a dungeon feeling of 1-7, but managed to find Nimthanc and Narthanc lying on the floor with my Warrior on floor one. Absolutely stunned, having 130 damage per round against enemies that don't resist fire and cold seems insane that early.

Comment

• Sky
                          Veteran
                          • Oct 2016

Cold.

sell that Fire sucker.

Hydras. You do not need to worry about undead yet.

Comment

• forenmagra
                            Rookie
                            • Mar 2020

Playing with selling off, so I just kept them around to swap and for early projectile damage.

Comment

• Jay
                              Adept
                              • Dec 2011

Tenser's Transformations showed up on DL21. The good news is my @ is a mage, but I won't be able to use it for a while.

It's been a truly weird game so far — the only decent level feelings I've had have led to a RoDetection and a RoFireballs, which are useful enough, but my only source of FA at this point is an amulet of inertia. Stingy old RNG!
                              Oh you icky things, don't you know you're driving your mamas and papas insane…

Comment

• Sky
                                Veteran
                                • Oct 2016

i find it upsetting that Tensner has so few spells as a mage, so even though i said it before, i will say it again here. In the hopes that Nick one day decides to release 4.1.Sky-knows with all the changes i requested.

Tensner is a D&D lore persona, and the spells in the book are already existent in the D&D game.

Spells like Berserk are classic Mage spells. If anything, *at least* Berserk should be reinstated.

Yeah yeah, ok so mages are already too powerful. Who cares.
                                Enchanting items is also something which in the D&D world only mages do. And let's not pretend that Angband isn't almost completely lifted off of D&D.

As it stands Tensner is almost useless to mages. Greater Recharging is limited to two uses, recharging Annihilation prior to Mana Storm, and recharging staves of Banishment prior, again, to acquiring Keleks. All for a slot and a book that rates as LF -7 at native depths.
                                Basically you cast the spells once for XP and then sell it. No way that is worth an equipment slot.
                                Enchanting crossbow bolts is useless when you have endless lightning/fire/mana/ice/acid/sound/shards bolts+balls at your disposal.

The truth is that Mages should be capped at 3 blows, not 4 ...

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍