Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete Mack
    Prophet
    • Apr 2007

The best album of 2016 IMO went number one on the charts everywhere in the English speaking in the world except for the US (where it went number 7.) That's Leonard Cohen's final confession, 'You Want It Darker.' Not to many albums leave me in tears, but that one did--and still does. That guy is a real legend: 60 years of music, right up to his final hour. At age 82, he recorded his last album at home because of multiple back fractures from his final years of touring. He died shortly after its release.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
      Veteran
      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Mars
      Thievery corporation is great. If you like them, maybe you want to check out Kruder & Dorfmeister if you don't know them yet.
      Note to self: Re-acquaint with Thievery Corporation.

(Right now I'm leaning heavily towards Trance, e.g. John 'double-o' Fleming with his Astral Projection remixes, or basically any of Van Buuren's yearmixes...)

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

@AH-
        You might like HAELOS. Nominally dance/electronic. Sort of trance, nice duets. Check the KEXP live show.
        Last edited by Pete Mack; April 22, 2017, 15:47.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
          Veteran
          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Pete Mack
          @AH-
          You might like HAELOS. Nominally dance/electronic. Sort of trance, nice duets. Check the KEXP love show.
          Not my usual fare, but that's actually pretty damn good.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
            Veteran
            • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
            Not my usual fare, but that's actually pretty damn good.
            I'll say the same. Not my usual niche either. I'm on board with AH on HAELO's quality.

Recently, I am picking up on Trance, which used to be my primary favorite music genre (before late 2012, when I switched my primary favorite genre to heavy metal). Here's one of my all-time favorite trance tracks:
            Sophie Sugar Vs Sunlounger - Lost Together (Armin Van Buuren Mash Up)
            Last edited by HugoVirtuoso; April 22, 2017, 07:05.
            My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
              Veteran
              • Jan 2009

While playing an iron-man, forced descent, priest it was Dio, "Holy Diver". Not recent, I know. but Hugo would appreciate it.

Edit: Here is the music video: https://www.last.fm/music/Dio/_/Holy+Diver
              Last edited by Ingwe Ingweron; May 4, 2017, 00:26.
              “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
              ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Just listened to it in the first time forever, on a streaming service. I remembered the drum and guitar solos, but I totally forgot the pipe organ solo. For those who don't know what we're talking about:

Highly influential in heavy metal, all 17+ minutes. (1968)

Originally posted by Estie
                If you ever wondered why the elves left middle-earth....

(j/k, I love that classic)

Comment

• Pete Mack
                  Prophet
                  • Apr 2007

Currently listening to an old favorite: Devotchka, Mad and Faithful Telling. They really do a great job with horn and accordion. Who'd a thunk it? (Never mind all the other awesome instruments--14, among 4 people.)

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                    Veteran
                    • Jan 2012

This one:
                    Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Finntroll - Trollhammaren

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• Estie
                      Veteran
                      • Apr 2008

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

how about Jill Tracy? evil cabaret music, suitable as angband accompaniment.
                        the Vargas is fun.

Comment

• Estie
                          Veteran
                          • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                          how about Jill Tracy? evil cabaret music, suitable as angband accompaniment.
                          the Vargas is fun.
                          Googled her, listened to "The Fine Art of Poisoning" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3uJEiDETKE and it is good...but mostly it made me want to listen to Tom Waits - Little Drop of Poison - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkj_ov_0LA4

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                            Veteran
                            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                            Recently, I am picking up on Trance, which used to be my primary favorite music genre (before late 2012, when I switched my primary favorite genre to heavy metal)
                            ... been a while since that post, but since you mentioned AvB, I think you might want to try to find the Above & Beyond Essential Mixes from 2005 and 2011. They were just an amazing demonstration of what musicality can be and what Trance can be. Above & Beyond are basically AvB in "capsule" form. These two 2h mixes are -- in a word -- amazing. (If anyone wants to hear it, feel free to PM me for details, etc.)

(Of course, Armin van Buuren is kind of a hero of mine -- he's done absolutely amazing things. Nevermind the whole "A State of Trance" programmes. Btw, for me, that's right up there with the absurdly good Astral Projection Remix of God Is A DJ.)
                            Last edited by AnonymousHero; May 27, 2017, 20:47.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                              Knight
                              • Dec 2008

My music m.o. has been "ah crap, who died this week." and rediscovering really good stuff from days gone by.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                                Veteran
                                • Jan 2012

Check out:
                                Manegarm - Skymningsresa

Skymningsresa = "Twilight Voyage" in Swedish

Tune your speakers!! This one is awesome!!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎