Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

Anyone have the new Twin Peaks soundtracks yet? I'm trying to decide whether I can hold out until Christmas or if I should just order them now. If I understand correctly there's one album that's the in-show performances and one that's the Angelo Badalamenti/Lynch atmospheric stuff.

Comment

• Qyx
      Apprentice
      • Dec 2012

It's not recent, but I thought this group might appreciate "Bashing the Balrog" by Leslie Fish.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

^ From Crash Bandicoot 3 - Prehistoric OST. Definitely a fitting song for the antics of PCB.
        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

Enjoy the videos and music that you love, upload original content and share it all with friends, family and the world on YouTube.

Skálmöld & Sinfóníuhljómsveit Íslands (Iceland Symphony Orchestra) - Full Concert

^Absolute Norse Mythos masterpiece from Iceland

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
            Veteran
            • Jun 2007

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yHsmZy-YS8

Skálmöld & Sinfóníuhljómsveit Íslands (Iceland Symphony Orchestra) - Full Concert

^Absolute Norse Mythos masterpiece from Iceland
            In a somewhat similar tradition, but nowhere near the same production values: Ormurin Langi. There was a metal version Týr - Ormurin Langi, but frankly I actually prefer the folk dance version because of its hypnotic quality. (I am Faroese, btw, as you can probably tell from the name of my GitHub account. Well, that or Icelandic... but I am Faroese... or Icelandic.)

Not sure how easy it is to appreciate if you don't understand the original language, but the translation at least gets the "this is metal" message across, I think.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
              Not sure how easy it is to appreciate if you don't understand the original language, but the translation at least gets the "this is metal" message across, I think.
              I think it is an acquired taste to enjoy music with foreign lyrics. As long as the song sounds great / epic, that's good enough, imo. I understand that not everyone easily enjoys music without understanding lyrics. To each, their own.

Comment

• bio_hazard
                Knight
                • Dec 2008

It's funny- sometimes I like artists MORE when I can't understand their lyrics compared to their songs in english. Probably a combination of not realizing how uninteresting their non-english lyrics are, plus crossover songs are likely to be even more pop than their earlier non-english stuff.

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                  Swordsman
                  • Feb 2009

I tend towards the Techno/EBM

Funker Vogt - Tanzbefehl

T.O.Y. - The Darkness and the Light

The Anix - Again

Deadlife - Deviant

And when I want something harder,

Velvet Acid Christ - Caustic Disco

Comment

• wobbly
                    Prophet
                    • May 2012

Not sure it counts as new but here's the Asterix remix of Pistolero:

The original is Juno Reactor. They are good. Super weird, but good.

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                      Veteran
                      • Jun 2007

Originally posted by wobbly
                      Not sure it counts as new but here's the Asterix remix of Pistolero:

The original is Juno Reactor. They are good. Super weird, but good.

This is very... wat-esque. I don't like it, but I like it, if you know what I mean.

Comment

• Pete Mack
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2007

Sometimes. But there are a few artists whose lyrics are top notch,
                        too. Rolling Stones, Leonard Cohen, etc.
                        Originally posted by bio_hazard
                        It's funny- sometimes I like artists MORE when I can't understand their lyrics compared to their songs in english. Probably a combination of not realizing how uninteresting their non-english lyrics are, plus crossover songs are likely to be even more pop than their earlier non-english stuff.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

Zelda: A Link to the Past - Dark World Theme Orchestrated

Fits the atmosphere of PCB gameplay and all Angband variants all across

Comment

• wobbly
                            Prophet
                            • May 2012

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                            Hugo--my trouble with much recent metal is that the chord progressions are seriously hackneyed. The one you link is a case in point: excellent guitar playing, but the tune doesn't remotely compare to (say) Thunderstruck or Technical Difficulties. Those are genuinely interesting musically--as is much Van Halen. TwoCello's cover of Thunderstruck demonstrates just how interesting a tune it really is--not to mention making an utterly hilarious music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT3SBzmDxGk
                            Is that really about how recent it is? Metal has always been a pretty wide variety of styles. I mean compare:

Naiad - Acrophobe

to

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras

& also

A Perfect Circle - Pet

just because I like the song
                            Last edited by wobbly; October 14, 2017, 18:27.

Comment

• Grotug
                              Veteran
                              • Nov 2013

+2 for Leonard Cohen. Never understood why he wasn't more popular. Master lyricist.

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                              I don't much like what goes for pop music these days, but I recently discovered "alt country", which seems to do it. Spent today listening to Star Anna, Matthew Perryman, and Devotchka (which I actually discovered years ago.)
                              Anyone else have new favorites?
                              Is Matthew Perryman Jones alt country? I discovered him on the trailer for Manchester by the Sea. Very good movie and song.

I really like the score for Stranger Things. Some recent discoveries:

Donnis Trio. Josh Ritter: I really like the songs Thin Blue Flame and Change of Time
                              Revisited and rediscovered Young Galaxy.

You might like Ola Podrida; the songs: Run off the road and Lost and Found
                              Beginner's Guide to Angband 4.2.3 Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9c9e2wMngM

Detailed account of my Ironman win here.

"My guess is that Grip and Fang have many more kills than Gothmog and Lungorthin." --Fizzix

Comment

• bio_hazard
                                Knight
                                • Dec 2008

Does Cracker count as Alt Country?

The roots stuff like Gillian Welch and Steve Earle, also Alison Krause/Robert Plant Raising Sand are some of my favorites. When I lived near Monterey I'd listen to a radio station called KPIG that played only this stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎