X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bio_hazard
    Knight
    • Dec 2008

Stop the Hunger Clock

Some roguelike devs on another forum are having a roguelike food drive (called "stop the hunger clock"), where people can submit receipts for donations to local food pantries in exchange for the chance to win Steam keys of games. I'm not sure if this is open to people off-forum but if I find out it is I'll post a link. In the mean time, I just wanted to say this is really cool.

I have observed a lot of generosity in the roguelike community, in terms of development of free games, advice to new players, etc. I don't know any of you irl but I like to think of you all as good people and this being a place where there can be a lot of debate with it staying fairly civil.

The holidays are always a tough time people in need, and without getting too political I think the most vulnerable are even more at risk now. Be kind and generous where you can.
  • HallucinationMushroom
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Awesome, if it is open to us please post the link. My wife and I donate to our local food pantry, but I could try and chip in there as well. Many of the grocery stores around where I'm at will have sacks of food that can be bought that will be donated to local shelters, but often the price of these bags vs. what is inside is inefficient compared to what the the food pantry can get buying in bulk, or through xyz distributors, etc.
    You are on something strange

Comment

• PowerDiver
      Prophet
      • Mar 2008

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
      Awesome, if it is open to us please post the link. My wife and I donate to our local food pantry, but I could try and chip in there as well. Many of the grocery stores around where I'm at will have sacks of food that can be bought that will be donated to local shelters, but often the price of these bags vs. what is inside is inefficient compared to what the the food pantry can get buying in bulk, or through xyz distributors, etc.
      The general rule in these situations is to just give money directly. Giving items can even end up costing the charity more to deal with than their value. There was an episode of "Adam Ruins Everything" explaining this in a lot of detail.

In a time when many "charities" spend only a tiny percentage of donations on what they purport to be doing, the local food banks stand out for doing great work and tend to use the money very well.

Comment

• bio_hazard
        Knight
        • Dec 2008

Here's the link:

It looks like they have quite a few more games up now.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎