X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by mrrstark
    I tried running both of them, Win7, 64-bit. And I get an immediate system error "... can't start because libatk-1.0-0.dll is missing"

Where do I get that?
    From the address at the end this subsection:

Haskell game engine library for roguelike dungeon crawlers; please offer feedback, e.g., after trying out the sample game with the web frontend at - LambdaHack/LambdaHack

Please do ask if anything else fails and have fun.

Edit: I've now added this info to release notes.
    Last edited by Bandobras; December 12, 2014, 07:04.

Comment

• Antoine
      Ironband/Quickband Maintainer
      • Nov 2007

Glad you got some mileage out of Guild.

Yes, equipment management can be tiresome. But an important part of gameplay I think.

Cheers
      A.
      Ironband - http://angband.oook.cz/ironband/

Comment

• Bandobras
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Antoine
        Yes, equipment management can be tiresome. But an important part of gameplay I think.
        Now that I figured out I can't sell anything, it's not that bad. Still, having to confirm I want to get all coins from all (most) corpses is a bit tiresome. Coins only in .1 of them would already help.

I've killed everything on thd 5th level of the easier cave. Fun. The special rooms are great, e.g., the room full of corpses with a carrion crawler inside than prompty demonstrated how it managed to amass so many victims.

Now, don't tell me I need to slog upward to town via all the 4 lower levels again. Didn't already UnAngband teach us that a prospect of a secret passage straight to the top at the end of a dungeon branch can lure the most prudent of near-dead players into diving even deeper? Specifically it lured me down there right now, but now I'm at a loss.

Comment

• getter77
          Adept
          • Dec 2009

The mountain you are looking to climb is probably possible to assail from Labyrinths & Legends---started way back on the Sharp X68000~

Comment

• Bandobras
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by getter77
            The mountain you are looking to climb is probably possible to assail from Labyrinths & Legends---started way back on the Sharp X68000~

http://lnl.sourceforge.jp/en/
            That is an ancient and steep mountain indeed. Actually, two-character-wide tiles make perfect sense, why didn't I think about it first. Now, how do I actually move, preferably with a keypad...

Comment

• AnonymousHero
              Veteran
              • Jun 2007

The best party-based rougelike is... no-reload Baldur's Gate with the SCS tactical mod. (Well, there's no randomization by default, but the G3: Item Randomizer mod can fix that if you're so inclined. I mainly play for the possibility of "perfect" play, so I avoid it.)

Of course, being a *band'er at heart, I always play solo no-reload BG. On the upside you're ridiculously overleveled for the early parts -- unfortunately you don't gain much power past level 25-30 or so (depending on class).

I would encourage anyone of the *band persuasion to try it!

Comment

• Bandobras
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by AnonymousHero
                The best party-based rougelike is... no-reload Baldur's Gate with the SCS tactical mod.
                From the description I can't see that it makes the game turn-based. In particular, combat is not turn based. Are there any mods that remove the real-time aspect?

Comment

• AnonymousHero
                  Veteran
                  • Jun 2007

Originally posted by Bandobras
                  From the description I can't see that it makes the game turn-based. In particular, combat is not turn based. Are there any mods that remove the real-time aspect?
                  Auto-pause is your friend .

EDIT: For a little further explanation: The game is mostly "real time", but during battle everything is acutally divided into time-slices and rounds (based on initiative and such), so if you enable a few of the Auto-pause options, you'll effectively be playing turn-based combat.

Comment

• Bandobras
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

So, regarding Quest, I of course died while going upwards back to town. I really hope I didn't miss any end-dungeon boss that opens up a secret passage straight to town... I guess next time I will have to do this dungeon in 2 trips, even though I can get to the bottom in just one trip

Regarding Labyrinths & Legends, I figuered out how to move: set NumLock on, set the target with the keypad keys and '+', press '5' to let the party move turn by turn towards the target. That makes sense.

Edit: Good news about auto-pause in Baldur's Gate. If so, I will at least watch a few lets-play videos to check how the party works --- if I can control every character, how tedious this is, etc.

Comment

• Bandobras
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Quest is fun. I'm about to try the Recall spell for the first time, which may solve my problem with not being able to go to the bottom of a dungeon and survive. What frustrates me the most right now is that my party members are sometimes too aggresive. I order them to flee or to follow me or the stand still and they instead break rank and get into harm's way. E.g., they enter a dorway instead of letting the enemy enter. Then other party members at once fill the void in the frontline (also against orders to stand still), which makes it hard to me to manually get the over-aggresive members to back off.

But generally, the order-based party management is more fun than I expected, even though I'm a perfecitonist so friendly AI is always problematic for me ("they could do this move so much better! let's reload and repeat"). That's probably because the order list is so rich. Also, I mostly rely on a single character (the warrior) to do everyting, the other party members mostly just soaking damage for him. Whenever I try to dive faster, this tactic is not enough and then the control of each party member would help me tilt the odds. Or I'd need to try new things, like the stealth, etc.

Comment

• Antoine
                        • Nov 2007

The aggressiveness of your party members may be a matter of their behaviour settings. It may be somewhat avoidable. I'd have to refresh my memory about the game to figure out how to manage it.

Exiting dungeons (until you have recall) is an intentionally difficult part of the game. If you are going deep enough to get the rewards you need to advance, then the trek back to the surface (with resources depleted) is a dangerous time.

Do try stealth.

A.

Comment

• Bandobras
                          Knight
                          • Apr 2007

Uhoh, Word of Recall silently fails. The guy has 16 Magic and 9 MP. First try I ever cast it. ;(

Comment

• Antoine
                            • Nov 2007

Uhoh, Word of Recall silently fails. The guy has 16 Magic and 9 MP. First try I ever cast it. ;(
                            On a quick source-dive, you may need 18 Magic for WoR. Don't know why no warning message

A.

Comment

• Bandobras
                              Knight
                              • Apr 2007

Thanks. Up the stairs it is, then.

BTW, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all *banders and party rogues!

Comment

• Antoine
                                • Nov 2007

Thanks. Up the stairs it is, then.

BTW, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all *banders and party rogues!
                                And the same to you!

A.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞