Frog - How does a Mage take down Great Unclean One in Arena?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GrimaTheBold
    Apprentice
    • Jan 2020

Frog - How does a Mage take down Great Unclean One in Arena?

CL 44 Mage of Armageddon/Sorcery. I just took out Mummy King and Nightwalker in Arena pretty easily, but Great Unclean One is next and I don't see how it's theoretically possible for a mage to do 6600 damage in Arena.

Lets assume I go with Breathe Plasma. Cost is 25, and I have 375 SP, so that's 15 times I can cast it. My current damage is 254. So that's 3,810 points of damage, leaving me 2800 HP short of killing him. Obviously if I gain a few more levels and find some better gear (like a better Wizardry ring, currently wearing +12 damage) maybe I can close that gap but I still don't see how I get to 6600 HP.

Is there some way of restoring mana that works in Arena that I'm not seeing? I mean there's always Eat Magic, but munching on wands to regain SP while Unclean is quickly killing me seems untenable.

Is the secret something that requires waiting for the 4th Armageddon Spellbook? Does the math work out with Breathe Mana or Shards? And do you have to wait for 4th Sorcery book for GOI? Even then I'm having a hard time picturing it working.
  • MITZE
    Swordsman
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by GrimaTheBold
    Lets assume I go with Breathe Plasma. Cost is 25, and I have 375 SP, so that's 15 times I can cast it. My current damage is 254. So that's 3,810 points of damage, leaving me 2800 HP short of killing him. Obviously if I gain a few more levels and find some better gear (like a better Wizardry ring, currently wearing +12 damage) maybe I can close that gap but I still don't see how I get to 6600 HP.

Is there some way of restoring mana that works in Arena that I'm not seeing? I mean there's always Eat Magic, but munching on wands to regain SP while Unclean is quickly killing me seems untenable.

Is the secret something that requires waiting for the 4th Armageddon Spellbook? Does the math work out with Breathe Mana or Shards? And do you have to wait for 4th Sorcery book for GOI? Even then I'm having a hard time picturing it working.

Completing the town arena is not feasible for a lot of characters, but I would think a mage could still off the great unclean one. A better ring might be available in something that boosts maxSP; it's not that rare to find a couple that provide [+10%] or [+15%].

As far as restoring HP/SP goes: you can still [E]at in the arena, so Fast Recovery can help. Also, depending on race you might have certain extra options; Hera demigods get access to a minor SP restoration power.

The arena is also slightly wider than player LOS/most monster detection ranges; if you can get something on one end and you on the other, it might not have the detection range "see" you, and thus give you time to rest/cast healing/eat devices/etc.

In any case, if you're running into stuff you're not sure you can handle then you're probably best putting off the rest of the arena until after you hit CL50.
    Last edited by MITZE; April 16, 2021, 23:34. Reason: Fixed some typos.
    Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Sideways
      Knight
      • Nov 2008

Great unclean ones are dangerous in a dungeon setting mostly because they're big bulky HP bags who summon a lot; as long as you stay out of melee range (easy with Sorcery) and have enough mushrooms of Cure Poison they aren't all that deadly on their own. They do breathe acid, but you'd have to be really unlucky for them to kill you before you kill them, and Breathe Plasma will help by keeping them stunned most of the time.

Between regeneration and Eat Magic, you should have enough mana to get the job done; and if all else fails, there's always bostock's special zero-cost spell.
      The Complainer worries about the lack of activity here these days.

Comment

• ster
        Scout
        • Jun 2019

Globe of invulnerability works on everything except the babble

e: Eat Magic is fine in the arena and I remember killing the GUC with breathe plasma before. If you bring regen and cure poison mushrooms you'll outheal its really bad acid and cause wounds damage (Remember that acid deals half its listed damage). Everything after the GUC is a pure damage race though and I wouldn't fight black reaver, fenghuang etc without book 4
        gwarl 09/19/2019
        I can't ban ster from my roguelikes site though like all other roguelike admins have because it lets him win

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎