Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • wobbly
    Prophet
    • May 2012

I actually had a few goes at trying to start a FA high-elf blackguard today, seems pretty unplayable, short of camping the stairs. Also disconnected stairs doesn't appear to be working on wilderness mode.

Comment

• archolewa
      Swordsman
      • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Mondkalb
      Well, "boring" also applies to early levels in most Rogue-like games and even to deeper ones, if they don't happen to have something exciting on them.
      That is just the nature of these games with randomly generated levels.
      I guess when I say "boring" I mean "not much terrain I can use to advantage." Even early levels in Angband you can back up into corridors, or take an alternate path to avoid a dangerous monster, or go into a prefab room to keep too many enemies from seeing you. Of course it only gets more interesting once you have a reliable form of digging.

None of these options are available in the bits of wilderness that Ive seen in FirstAgeAngband.

Comment

• Pete Mack
        Prophet
        • Apr 2007

But that's kinda the point of the wilderness. It is way more dangerous than nominally equivalent dungeon levels.

Comment

• archolewa
          Swordsman
          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Pete Mack
          But that's kinda the point of the wilderness. It is way more dangerous than nominally equivalent dungeon levels.
          *Shrug* and it makes things more dangerous in a manner I dont like: by removing player options. Its also something that you really cant avoid and dont have good options for dealing with. All of this makes the wilderness (in any roguelike) feel poorly balanced and unfun to me. If other people like it, thats fine. But its not my cup of tea, and hence I prefer roguelikes that are just a single dungeon.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by archolewa
            Even if Gondolin's wilderness is supposed to be really tough, it still effectively bans High Elves from being Blackguards, unless you have way more patience than I think is reasonable to expect from most players.
            Blackguards didn't exist in the original FA - I may have to do some tweaks to make them more viable for advanced races. FA2 is still in beta, after all
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• EugeneLesnov
              Scout
              • Apr 2020

I wish there was a space adventures variant
              Aurë entuluva!

Comment

• Pete Mack
                Prophet
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by EugeneLesnov
                I wish there was a space adventures variant
                What, mynocks draining your power supply, leading to a crash into a sarlacc's gullet?

There are a number of fictions that I'd like to see first, such as descending the 9 waterfalls of Death to kill Kerrigor or Chlorr of the Mask. (Abhorsen.) With the former, especially, there would be a pretty good wilderness, too.

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎