X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fearoffours
    Rookie
    • Sep 2008

[O] and [FA] fonts on Nintendo DS

Hello! I'm having fun playing with O on the DS. Nice one to Nick for getting it running, I look forward to seeing a few more *bands head DS-wards.

The font is JUST about readable, but I feel there must be something more suitable out there. Has anyone had any success with any other fonts? Can I change fonts from in-game? Can I edit one of the pref files to use a different font or is the adjusting the display on the DS more tricky than that?

I look forward to seeing interface improvements to these builds (the keyboard is usable, but how about moving the quick mouse buttons to the touch screen?) and thanks again.
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by fearoffours
    Hello! I'm having fun playing with O on the DS. Nice one to Nick for getting it running, I look forward to seeing a few more *bands head DS-wards.
    It would actually be really easy to port other *bands - there is almost no change to the code apart from extra files to compile in.

The font is JUST about readable, but I feel there must be something more suitable out there. Has anyone had any success with any other fonts? Can I change fonts from in-game? Can I edit one of the pref files to use a different font or is the adjusting the display on the DS more tricky than that?
    The font is a special DS subpixel font, so it isn't really interchangeable.

I look forward to seeing interface improvements to these builds (the keyboard is usable, but how about moving the quick mouse buttons to the touch screen?) and thanks again.
    At this stage, this port is really not much more than prrof of concept - I did more or less the minimal amount of work I could to actually get it running. My plan was to improve it to include at least
    • A more readable font for the current system
    • A mode of play with the top screen devoted to stats, message etc and the map on the bottom screen (like NethackDS).

My current thinking is that it would be better for everyone concerned if someone else who already knows the DS well did the DS coding for this; I'm planning to go looking for such a person soon.
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• fearoffours
      Rookie
      • Sep 2008

Originally posted by Nick
      It would actually be really easy to port other *bands - there is almost no change to the code apart from extra files to compile in.
      Wow, sounds cool. I have compiled bands before, but never really messed with the makefiles. I'll try comparing some makefiles.

Comment

• jeanbreckman
        Rookie
        • Jan 2009

tell us how it went on comparing makefiles
        Happiness is a path, not a destination.
        everquest platinum

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰