X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DavidMedley
    Veteran
    • Oct 2019

Roguelike Dungeons and Dragons

Are there any roguelikes based on the Open Game License versions of Dungeons and Dragons? If not, why not?
    Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames
  • CyclopsSlayer
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2009

Technically Rogue had D&D roots, so all roguelikes carry that influence. Things like the D&D Rust Monster becoming an Aquator. The stat system being 3-18 as a base. (Now instead of 3d6, they roll 1d3+1d4+1d5+1d6 for 4-18) The same six stats, D&D going from 3-18/100 while roguelike go from 4-18/210 (18/***)

True, any traces of D&D have long since been obscured. Projects like ToME (Troubles of Middle Earth) being forced to rename as Tales of Maj'Eyal, to keep the Tolkein estate happy. I imaging TSR/WotC/Hasbro would be all over anything they saw as a blatant infringement.
    Last edited by CyclopsSlayer; October 26, 2020, 22:46.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
      Projects like ToME (Troubles of Middle Earth) being forced to rename as Tales of Maj'Eyal, to keep the Tolkein estate happy.
      Just doing my usual correcting of misconceptions about the Tolkien Estate.

PernAngband was renamed to Troubles of Middle Earth because of its maintainer, DarkGod, getting a letter from Anne McCaffrey's people. ToME was untroubled by the Tolkien Estate, as Angband and Moria have been (despite longer history and higher profile than the original ToME). See Wikipedia to see what legal processes the Tolkien Estate have been involved in, and note the distinction between them and Middle Earth Enterprises.

I don't know for sure why DarkGod chose to re-name, re-code and re-theme ToME; possibly he was concerned about future legal action if he started selling the game on Steam, or possibly it was to do with the Angband licence.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• archolewa
        Swordsman
        • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Nick
        I don't know for sure why DarkGod chose to re-name, re-code and re-theme ToME; possibly he was concerned about future legal action if he started selling the game on Steam, or possibly it was to do with the Angband licence.
        Based on some passing comments on his dev blog at the ten year anniversary(not sure if it was ten, it was some big milestone though) of starting work on TOME4, there 2 reasons:

1.Lingering "trauma" (probably too strong a word, but I can't think of a better one) from the Pernaband fiasco.

2. A desire to create his own world without any of the baggage from Middle Earth. Imagine trying to claim the Shire is the last remnants of a highly expansionist, militaristic, xenophobic empire!

As for the original question, there is Red Prison, which is based on 5th Ed: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1...he_Red_Prison/

The game is still *very* early (last I checked, none of the subclasses have been implemented yet).

As for why there aren't more roguelikes based on it, I'd hazard a guess that the big reason is that the rules are fundamentally built around parties, whereas roguelikes are built around single characters. So, things that are fine when you have a party giving backup (like, say the high variability of a d20) becomes less-than-ideal in a roguelike. I remember at one point the developer of Red Prison said they give you a couple of henchmen, because they can't make the math work out with a single character.

Also, I think it would be difficult to translate DnD 5e's action economy into a roguelike, at least if you used the standard energy-based system. How do you implement the following turn using an energy-based system, without a tedious "confirm your turn is over" keystroke?

1. Rage as a bonus action.
        2. Move 15 ft.
        3. Attack and kill a goblin with one swing.
        4. Move 15 ft.
        4. Attack and kill a second goblin with your second swing.
        Last edited by archolewa; October 27, 2020, 01:22.

Comment

• EpicMan
          Swordsman
          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by DavidMedley
          Are there any roguelikes based on the Open Game License versions of Dungeons and Dragons? If not, why not?
          In the Idle Chatter subforum there is a thread about a DND inspired rogulike named Zorbus: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthread.php?t=9470

Comment

• LordRotharoth
            Apprentice
            • Dec 2019

Zorbus is actually really fun, I'd highly suggest it.

Comment

• getter77
              Adept
              • Dec 2009

Incursion is another, even if frozen in time and a long shot to continue. Not unlike Veins of the Earth as a ToME 4 module, but the most infamous.

Comment

• tangar
                Veteran
                • Mar 2015

I've collected whole history of multiplayer *bands and there are plenty info about this story: https://tangaria.com/history/

--

Considering topic - in multiplayer roguelike https://tangaria.com there are plenty of DnD-inspired stuff. While V actually coming away from DnD, I'm trying to preserve it in my variant along with cool new V features which PowerWyrm port into PWMA (my variant based at it).
                https://tangaria.com - Angband multiplayer variant
                tangaria.com/variants - Angband variants table
                tangar.info - my website ⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽⍽
                youtube.com/GameGlaz — streams in English ⍽ youtube.com/StreamGuild — streams in Russian

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
                  Swordsman
                  • Feb 2009

Just doing my usual correcting of misconceptions about the Tolkien Estate.

PernAngband was renamed to Troubles of Middle Earth because of its maintainer, DarkGod, getting a letter from Anne McCaffrey's people. ToME was untroubled by the Tolkien Estate, as Angband and Moria have been (despite longer history and higher profile than the original ToME). See Wikipedia to see what legal processes the Tolkien Estate have been involved in, and note the distinction between them and Middle Earth Enterprises.

Ah, apologies! I apparently conflated and misremembered things. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

• DavidMedley
                    Veteran
                    • Oct 2019

Thanks for the answers. I was looking for the D&D mechanics, not "spiritual" descendants, but those comments add to the discussion as well. I tried Red Prison back in January and did not have a good experience. But I see it's been updated and I'll try again.
                    Please like my indie game company on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/RatherFunGames

Comment

• Pete Mack
                      Prophet
                      • Apr 2007

WRT d20 variability: Sil uses it to great effect. OAngband and derivatives do something similar with criticals.

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
                        Ah, apologies! I apparently conflated and misremembered things. Thanks for the correction.
                        No need to apologise. This idea about the TE is one of those pieces of misinformation that just took root and spread, so I'm doing my bit to eradicate it
                        One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
                        In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• archolewa
                          Swordsman
                          • Feb 2019

Originally posted by Pete Mack
                          WRT d20 variability: Sil uses it to great effect.
                          One of the things I *passionately* dislike about Sil is its heavy reliance on d20 variability. All the opposed dice rolls drive me bonkers. I understand why they made the decision they did, and I'm not going to try to claim it's a "bad" decision, but it's very unfun for me.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          😂
                          🥰
                          😘
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😞
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎