X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bpleshek
    Apprentice
    • Sep 2008

Trying to make my own variant

I've taken vanilla as it is and am trying to get it to compile in VS.NET. Are there some instructions available for this? Can someone point me to them?

Thanks,

Brian
  • Bandobras
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Begone creature of Morgoth!

Comment

• ekolis
      Knight
      • Apr 2007

Something gotten into you Bandobras???

On Windows, if I want to compile Angband myself I usually tend to go for MinGW + Eclipse; haven't tried it recently using Visual Studio so I can't recall how that might work... AFAIK there's no project/solution file in the repository, so you'd have to go via "create project from existing code", and leave out the "main-???" files apart from main-win... last time I tried that I remember having a bunch of errors though, but I could be mistaken or I could have resolved them... if you really want to use Visual Studio, just give it a whirl and let us know what errors you get; someone will be able to help you surely!

Oh yeah, one other thing I think you have to do is add "winmm.dll" or something to your library path, otherwise it complains about some graphics and sound stuff...
      You read the scroll labeled NOBIMUS UPSCOTI...
      You are surrounded by a stasis field!
      The tengu tries to teleport, but fails!

Comment

• Bandobras
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by ekolis
        Something gotten into you Bandobras???
        Sorry. I'm just reading the part of LotR, where Boromir advocates the use of the ring (.NET) to just causes (compiling free software). I visialized Angband.NET, Angband in C#, Shared Source Angband, etc. Please excuse me, bpleshek.

Comment

• Pete Mack
          Prophet
          • Apr 2007

I'm not a big fan of Visual Studio, but GDB doesn't work reliably (at all?) on Windows. So if you want to program on Windows, and you need to debug, Visual Studio is the way to go. I've got the free version installed just for that, but I haven't tried building an Angband project yet.

Comment

• bpleshek
            Apprentice
            • Sep 2008

I'd like to get vanilla to compile before i put too much work into building. This isn't a HUGE rush as i've played Moria since about 1992 and haven't gotten around to making a mod yet. But i have ideas aplenty and they are in need of exploration.

Of course, i could just write it from scratch in .NET and see how that goes. But it would no longer be a *band. Imagine MySQL or *shudder* MS Access to store all the data.

Brian

Comment

• RogerN
              Swordsman
              • Jul 2008

If all you want is a Visual Studio project which can compile vanilla then that's not very difficult. Download this zip archive and extract it into your Angband "src" folder. It contains project files (.sln and .vcproj) which should compile with Visual Studio 2003 or later.

Note that I haven't done anything with compiler options. I just threw all the files in there. It will compile, but you'll get tons of warnings.

EDIT: I'm also assuming that you've already downloaded the rest of the source code. The above link does not contain any of the source files, but only the VS project files.

Comment

• bpleshek
                Apprentice
                • Sep 2008

I may have to download a new source. I'm using 3.0.5 and i had to delete 10 .c files and the angband.rc file. The result of my compile is about a page of errors. I'll try to get a newer vanilla and see if that helps.

Brian

Comment

• bpleshek
                  Apprentice
                  • Sep 2008

That appeared to have done it. I now have a framework for 3.0.9.

Thanks,

Brian

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡