X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gwarl
    Administrator
    • Jan 2017

Originally posted by Aszazin
    All ~bands I play require the NumLock to be off to be able to run with the shift-key and the numpad.
    So I always turn NumLock off.

I guess it's not a big issue to turn NumLock off or on, isnt it?
    Precisely why the opposite being true on angband.live throws so many off, perhaps.

We definitely lose wandering players who are just trying to make sense of the thing this way.

Comment

• Dean Anderson
      Adept
      • Nov 2009

Fair enough. I've gone for the first option.
      • The cursors and numberpad without shift will always move you a single step, regardless of NumLock status.
      • The cursors and numberpad together with shift will make you run, providing that NumLock is off.
      • If NumLock is on, then shift is ignored (or, more properly, is not detected) so the cursors and numberpad together with shift makes you move a single step as if you had used the keys without shift.

That sounds like it's what people will expect from other Angband variants; and I've added it to the documentation so that people will know to turn NumLock off if they want to use the feature.

Personally, I never use shift to run so I'm happy with it either way.

Comment

• Dean Anderson
        Adept
        • Nov 2009

I've pushed out 6.3 with the display change and the fix for shift-to-run. The announcement thread is here.

Comment

• Avenger
          Apprentice
          • Dec 2013

Just got this after zapping a rod of recall while in the wilderness outside of Inganok - I wasn't in a town or a dungeon, so perhaps that caused an issue.

I'm posting this in the 6.2 thread because I have a character going there and haven't updated to 6.3 yet =P

Please feel free to let me know if you need any additional information - either by a reply here or a pm - or if you prefer to receive bug reports in a different fashion.

Edit:

The image doesn't appear to be displaying, so I'll copy the text:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
          at Cthangband.LevelFactory.GenerateNewLevel()
          at Cthangband.SaveGame.Play()
          at Cthangband.Profile.Run()
          at Cthangband.Program.Main()

And one more edit - it's repeatable. Doing the same thing results in the same error.

I am not sure where you keep your savefiles - which is probably a good thing for cheating prevention - or I'd include that for your reference, but I suspect the necessary conditions is simply initiating recall from the wilderness.
          Last edited by Avenger; March 16, 2020, 01:54.
          C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)
          C(TN/Do) W H- D-- c-- f PV s- d+ P++ M?
          C S++ I+ So B- ac- GHB- SQ RQ V+ F:TomeNET Game Progression

Comment

• Dean Anderson
            Adept
            • Nov 2009

Originally posted by Avenger

Just got this after zapping a rod of recall while in the wilderness outside of Inganok - I wasn't in a town or a dungeon, so perhaps that caused an issue.

I'm posting this in the 6.2 thread because I have a character going there and haven't updated to 6.3 yet =P

Please feel free to let me know if you need any additional information - either by a reply here or a pm - or if you prefer to receive bug reports in a different fashion.

Edit:

The image doesn't appear to be displaying, so I'll copy the text:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

And one more edit - it's repeatable. Doing the same thing results in the same error.

I am not sure where you keep your savefiles - which is probably a good thing for cheating prevention - or I'd include that for your reference, but I suspect the necessary conditions is simply initiating recall from the wilderness.
            If it's reproducible then that should assist in finding what's causing it.

Your save files should be in:

C:\Users\<your username>\Documents\my games\Cthangband

The individual save file will be called either "slot1.v_6_2_savefile", "slot2.v_6_2_savefile", or "slot3.v_6_2_savefile" depending on which save slot it is in - so you can do a search for one of those if you have trouble finding the file.

If you could upload that to somewhere and post a link to it, that would be a great help.

Comment

• Avenger
              Apprentice
              • Dec 2013

Savefile
              Hiscores

I've included both files from that directory. The savefile is from a later point than my initial post was made at, but the issue continues to be reproducible - again initiating a recall outside of a town or dungeon. I suspect it occurs regardless of the method of recall, since the error seems to indicate a crash as it tries to generate the new level, but I could be misinterpreting the stack trace(I'm far more familiar with Java than C#, and I have only the most rudimentary idea of your execution flow from looking at C sources of other variants) - in any case, I produce it by zapping the rod of recall in my inventory from my current position in that game.

Once again, I hope this helps, and of course please feel free to request any additional information I may be able to provide.

For my own personal curiosity, is Cthangband open source at all? A cursory search of Github only turns up a Hellband repository presumably derived from a much earlier version, as it's still in C.

Edit: Found a new one, which I have not been able to reproduce:

System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index was outside the bounds of the array.
              at Cthangband.VaultFactory.BuildVault(Int32 yval, Int32 xval, Int32 ymax, Int32 xmax, String data)
              at Cthangband.VaultFactory.BuildType7(Int32 yval, Int32 xval)
              at Cthangband.LevelFactory.RoomBuild(Int32 y0, Int32 x0, Int32 typ)
              at Cthangband.LevelFactory.MakeDungeonLevel()
              at Cthangband.LevelFactory.UndergroundGen()

This one appears to be procedural in nature, so probably won't be reproducible from a savefile unless the Random Number God is especially unkind, but that stack trace looks fairly specific. This one occurred on recalling from a town into a dungeon(The Vault of the Sword), but my guess would be that it could occur any time a dungeon is generated - at least with the same BuildType and/or vault data String.

If I were to hazard a guess at the cause, I'd suspect that some check preventing a vault from starting to generate at a location which would result in its full build pattern extending off the level map is failing, but that's only a guess based on similar errors I've encountered in my own projects(none of which are strictly Angband related).
              Last edited by Avenger; March 16, 2020, 17:20.
              C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)
              C(TN/Do) W H- D-- c-- f PV s- d+ P++ M?
              C S++ I+ So B- ac- GHB- SQ RQ V+ F:TomeNET Game Progression

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡