X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CyclopsSlayer
    Swordsman
    • Feb 2009

Originally posted by dionysian
    I'm giving this a shot. Haven't played any variants in quite some time. This is... a bit overwhelming. In a good way.

Playing a ranger. Get called a brute for attacking something in the dungeon. Back off, but it comes after me... I kill it. Now I'm out of touch with nature?

Is there an easy way to know what to leave alone? Or is it just a judgement call or trial and error?
    My problem with Virtues in a Dungeon Crawl is that they force a certain playstyle and completely fail to tell you what it is. MITZE's listings have helped a ton.
    Still though, Stealth or Ranged attacks let a character get in the first strike, and the game punishes you for it. I gave up trying to play a ranger when the typical dungeon playstyle rendered Magic essentially too unreliable as i rapidly Lost touch with nature to the point fail rate went through the roof.

Comment

• dionysian
      Apprentice
      • Apr 2007

Well, I found it a bit confusing. I killed a few things just by holding a direction key too long, or not realizing I was supposed to avoid them in the first place. Couldn't figure out how to get back on the path once I strayed.

Really impressed overall, though! Variants have come a long way while I wasn't looking.
      Oh, Mr. Speaker, I had underestimated the tenderness of the feelings of the members opposite.
      --Barney Frank

Comment

• CyclopsSlayer
        Swordsman
        • Feb 2009

Really impressed overall, though! Variants have come a long way while I wasn't looking.
        Take a peek at ToME (now Tales of Maj'Eyal, once upon a time Troubles of Middle Earth) Almost no longer a roguelike.

Wiki: ToME

Let's Plaay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXMafW_QOE

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
          Veteran
          • Jan 2012

PCB 7.1.1 does not have an Global Wilderness Map. You would have to memorize the exact # of screens to backtrack to the towns.
          My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• dionysian
            Apprentice
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by CyclopsSlayer
            Take a peek at ToME (now Tales of Maj'Eyal, once upon a time Troubles of Middle Earth) Almost no longer a roguelike.

Wiki: ToME

Let's Plaay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnXMafW_QOE
            I have played that a bit. I remember when it used. To be pernangband. Haven't played it in a while, though.
            Oh, Mr. Speaker, I had underestimated the tenderness of the feelings of the members opposite.
            --Barney Frank

Comment

• Aszazin
              Scout
              • Jun 2018

I'm giving this a shot. Haven't played any variants in quite some time. This is... a bit overwhelming. In a good way.

Playing a ranger. Get called a brute for attacking something in the dungeon. Back off, but it comes after me... I kill it. Now I'm out of touch with nature?

Is there an easy way to know what to leave alone? Or is it just a judgement call or trial and error?
              You shouldn't attack "Natural" type of monsters before they are angry at you. In general this means, don't attack them while they are sleeping.

As far as I'm aware, it doesn't do any harm killing hostile monsters of the Natural type. (if you target a monster and push 'r' (recall), you'll get the info you know about a monster)

Comment

• ediko777
                Rookie
                • Nov 2019

Sorry for stupid question. I cant go to travel in global map. < this comand not work. I check all wilderness. and it have only 3 towns and 6 dungeons. i think it too small. i do something wrong?

Comment

• Aszazin
                  Scout
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by ediko777
                  Sorry for stupid question. I cant go to travel in global map. < this comand not work. I check all wilderness. and it have only 3 towns and 6 dungeons. i think it too small. i do something wrong?
                  Oh, great, I only found 3 dungeons and 2 towns. I always get killed in the third dungeon.

If I understand it right, there is more after killing the dragon Smaug. Did you found Smaug already?

Comment

• ediko777
                    Rookie
                    • Nov 2019

Oh i forgot about smaug. i not try to find it. i think too early now. lvl 29 android sword master.

Comment

• Aszazin
                      Scout
                      • Jun 2018

Originally posted by ediko777
                      Oh i forgot about smaug. i not try to find it. i think too early now. lvl 29 android sword master.
                      As I only found 3 dungeons yet, I assumed going for smaug after cleaning the 3rd dungeon (Camelot) would be a good time. But I never met Smaug, So I wouldn't know. I assume it's not the final boss of the game.

In my current game, I'm level 17 High Elf Armageddon High Mage. I try a different person each game. Just cleaned up the first dungeon. I didn't gather a lot of resistances yet, this game... So i need to destroy enemies quickly before they get me...

Comment

• Destro
                        Rookie
                        • Jan 2016

Dang. I'm quite sad to see that it has changed so much from previous incarnations given how much I loved this variant.

Comment

• ediko777
                          Rookie
                          • Nov 2019

I too. i try it after 2 years no play roguelike. and changes i dislike. now go to try frog. and its looks more better

Comment

• Aszazin
                            Scout
                            • Jun 2018

Originally posted by Destro
                            Dang. I'm quite sad to see that it has changed so much from previous incarnations given how much I loved this variant.
                            I loved this variant too and was sad when I heard it stopped. I changed to FrogComposBand. But after a while I got a little tired of it. The map makes exploring too easy, the quests became repetitive as well as the rewards. Although I still think FrogComposBand is a real great variant. I just needed something else.

Now I have the feeling of playing a real different flavour again. It takes a lot longer before I know the world without the map. That's good.

I really think this update is a good start for another variant with a different feel. Monsters coming through the stairs is great. The removal of recall scrolls and devices is also good, imo. The need to find a recall point makes the game more challenging and fun.

After this big step, I think there might be a lot of finetuning possibilities for PosChengBand, but I really like the step that was taken a lot.
                            Especially because the old PosChengBand and FrogComposBand really were too similar to exist next too each other.

Comment

• clouded
                              Swordsman
                              • Jun 2012

There's now a 7.2.1 on the site which adds an Amber campaign and a new version of blue mage.

Comment

• murphy
                                Adept
                                • Sep 2009

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                                PCB 7.1.1 does not have an Global Wilderness Map. You would have to memorize the exact # of screens to backtrack to the towns.
                                There is a world map, at least in 7.2.1

But the command to get to it is different. When you are in the wilderness, hit M and then M again

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎