What's the best variant of Angband in your opinion?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jupiter999
    Scout
    • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Gwarl
    Poschengband development being finished and the last few versions being deeply flawed, I'd look to it's successors instead:
    The author will never agree that it's flawed.
    Originally posted by Gwarl
    Composband: this is my variant, I made it, therefore it's just right.

FrogComposband: this is a variant of my variant, I mildly disagree with many of the design decisions which is why someone else needed to make a variant. It's also being developed at a higher speed.
    I'm still unsure what's the difference between them... Need to find time to play...

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
      Veteran
      • Jan 2009

Cone on, the answer is obvious... ROCKETBAND !!!

Seriously though, I'd say FAAngband, but for being spoiled by the new Vanilla UI.
      “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
      ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• budswell
        Adept
        • Jun 2008

My favourite variant doesn't exist.
        I think PosChengband has the most interesting classes, races, etc.
        But I find the fixed world a bit grindy (always dying CL20-30 as I do).
        Zangband (And then Z+) had random world map (towns, dungeons, quests, and surface "camps").
        So my ideal variant would be poschengband (or its variands) with the Zangband style world.

The two I've played/enoyed the most are Tome2 and Poschengband. The only one I've ever won was Tome4 (twice!)
        http://angband.oook.cz/ladder-browse.php?e=budswell
        http://te4.org/user/1471/characters

Comment

• PowerWyrm
          Prophet
          • Apr 2008

Every variant maintainer will say his variant is the best
          Try PWMAngband

About other variants:
          - Sil: can't be considered really as a "variant", but its clearly the most balanced of all
          - Pos (frog version): one step away from being the best variant, unfortunately I won't ever be interested in playing Posxxx based variants until someone comes with a proper themed variant (Morgoth should summon Nazguls... not the Knights "who say Ni and shout Omae wa mou shindeiru!")
          - Beleriand: most promising variant, developed and played by our grandchildren someday...
          PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• debo
            Veteran
            • Oct 2011

It is clearly Rocketband.
            Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Derakon
              Prophet
              • Dec 2009

Originally posted by debo
              It is clearly Rocketband.
              I did one good thing years ago and have been coasting on my reputation since then...

Comment

• OmniNegro
                Scout
                • Jul 2014

Right now, Frog and Compos are both simply the best available by a huge amount.

But when I first started playing such games, Furyband was the best by an equally huge amount. The GUI is pretty bad for today, but what other variant can you play as a Lygrog without any melee attack and become all but invulnerable if you lived long enough?

How about playing as a Jedi? (With Lightsabers too.)

Furyband was not the first with Monster races to play, but it was the first with so many to choose from. It had a deity system that no game I am aware of ever came close to. (With multiple gods you can choose from that reacted differently to many things.)

And while not based on Angband, I really should mention how absolutely great Nethack is. And if you played Nethack and liked it, there is always "Slash'Em Extended". It has thousands of race and class combinations and is literally the hardest game imaginable. (If you doubt this, please try it.)

(The changelog for the current version is 1022 lines long. See for yourself.)

Be fairly warned. AmyBSOD (The maintainer of Slash'Em Extended.) Is clearly a sadist and enjoys making players suffer in the most aggravating ways imaginable. (She is actually very nice and easy to talk to. But the game is not even remotely fair.)

Good day everyone.

Comment

• Ingwe Ingweron
                  Veteran
                  • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Derakon
                  I did one good thing years ago and have been coasting on my reputation since then...
                  Not bad for an April Fool's joke. I still occasionally go back and play it for awhile.
                  “We're more of the love, blood, and rhetoric school. Well, we can do you blood and love without the rhetoric, and we can do you blood and rhetoric without the love, and we can do you all three concurrent or consecutive. But we can't give you love and rhetoric without the blood. Blood is compulsory. They're all blood, you see.”
                  ― Tom Stoppard, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead

Comment

• Bucephalus
                    Apprentice
                    • Jul 2016

Zangband.

All that really mattered in Zangband was how much gold you had and how brave you were.

The races were balanced and straightforward.

Access to level 80 dungeons at level 1 made gaining 40+ levels in a single turn a viable option.

The randarts were often stupidly powerful (activatable wraithform?) and crazy expensive, which made gold valuable.

The Death realm was, just, superior. You could quaff potions of death as a wraith.

Its more powerful classes (warrior-mages, paladins) were initially harder, but worth it.

Its overworld was elegant, atmospheric, pitiless, huge, and foremost, worth exploring.

Comment

• Mondkalb
                      Knight
                      • Apr 2007

Zangband is quite impressive.

I like the TK-versions of several variants that were available as AngbandTK or TKAnband. There was also a really nice isometric UI:

My Angband winners so far

My FAangband efforts so far

Comment

• PowerWyrm
                        Prophet
                        • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Mondkalb
                        There was also a really nice isometric UI:
                        You can do this for any variant that has a GCU port with the Necklace of the Eye frontend.

You can also play in FPP mode.
                        PWMAngband variant maintainer - check https://github.com/draconisPW/PWMAngband (or http://www.mangband.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=9) to learn more about this new variant!

Comment

• AmyBSOD
                          Rookie
                          • Jul 2015

Originally posted by OmniNegro
                          And while not based on Angband, I really should mention how absolutely great Nethack is. And if you played Nethack and liked it, there is always "Slash'Em Extended". It has thousands of race and class combinations and is literally the hardest game imaginable. (If you doubt this, please try it.)
                          There's also my ToME-SX variant of ToME 2.3.5, but unfortunately I have so much stuff on the to-do list of SLASH'EM Extended that it has not been updated in a long time. ToME-SX is actually not all that hard, and in many regards probably easier than the variant it's based upon.
                          Author of Angband variant ToME-SX (based on ToME 2.3.5): https://github.com/AmyBSOD/ToME-SX - it's very sexy!

Comment

• Maddz
                            Rookie
                            • Oct 2012

Hengband, by a long shot. I just wish there was an OS X port for the new version, but I suppose when we replace the iMac I can revert the old one to Snow Leopard.

Comment

• Firons2
                              Rookie
                              • Oct 2018

Personally, it's Unangband for me, it has a very polished feel, detailed writing, I love everything about it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎