You miss the Funny Side (x5)
    The Irony hits you (x4)
    You die.

Comment

• Mr.Peanut
      Scout
      • Jan 2009

What do the the startup options mean (DS version):
      Ironman version etc plus three different options that say "handheld device"

Comment

• buzzkill
        Prophet
        • May 2008

Originally posted by Mr.Peanut
        What do the the startup options mean (DS version):
        Ironman version etc plus three different options that say "handheld device"
        I'm about 90% sure on this stuff

Ironman mode = You can never go backward, or to a lower level, and no towns to buy/sell.

Thrall mode = You start out at CL1 with almost no equipment, just outside the dungeon Angband (DL58?).

Ironman/Thrall = a combination of the two (nearly impossible).

Small device = Affects the area of effect of detection spells (not real sure about this).

The Lot = Ironman/Thrall/Small Device
        www.mediafire.com/buzzkill - Get your 32x32 tiles here. UT32 now compatible Ironband and Quickband 9/6/2012.
        My banding life on Buzzkill's ladder.

Comment

• Psi
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Just to fill in the 10%...

Originally posted by buzzkill
          Ironman mode = You can never go backward, or to a lower level, and no towns to buy/sell.
          You still get your starting town, but as you cannot go back it is literally a one-stop shop.
          Thrall mode = You start out at CL1 with almost no equipment, just outside the dungeon Angband (DL58?).
          You do get a ring of telepathy, rod of sense surroundings, amulet of magic mastery, a staff of detection and 5 scrolls of destruction.
          Small device = Affects the area of effect of detection spells (not real sure about this).
          I think it affects LoS/FoV ranges for monsters and player alike. Not sure if it limits detection too.

Comment

• Nick
            Vanilla maintainer
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Psi
            I think it affects LoS/FoV ranges for monsters and player alike. Not sure if it limits detection too.
            Small device doesn't affect detection radius (although maybe it should...). It does affect line of sight (player and monster can only see half as far) and ranged combat distances (spells/missiles only go half as far). The idea is that seeing less of the map on the smaller screen is less likely to result in player death from monster breathing from offscreen.
            One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
            In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Atarlost
              Swordsman
              • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Nick
              Small device doesn't affect detection radius (although maybe it should...).
              I'm going to come out and say it shouldn't. Detection radius is balanced not only against weapon and sight ranges but also against the charge level of staves, the mana cost of spells, the recharge time of rods, and the price and frequency of scrolls. That's a lot of things that have to change to avoid a decrease in detection area createing extra hassle.
              One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to bind them.
              One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness interrupt the movie.

Comment

• Nick
                Vanilla maintainer
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Atarlost
                I'm going to come out and say it shouldn't. Detection radius is balanced not only against weapon and sight ranges but also against the charge level of staves, the mana cost of spells, the recharge time of rods, and the price and frequency of scrolls. That's a lot of things that have to change to avoid a decrease in detection area createing extra hassle.
                Any other opinions? No? Good, I'll go with the one that means no work for me, then.

I seem to remember actually thinking this through earlier and coming to the same conclusion, anyway.

Comment

• thapper
                  Adept
                  • Aug 2008

Turn count, how does it work?

I've notice something that I found odd. When I started my new character I walked a few (4) steps before I chose my speciality. When viewing my character info it says that I gained that speciality at turn 49. But my torch still has 3496 turns of light left (3500-4). Why this? Are there two different types of turn counts?

Cheers,

Thapper

Comment

• Psi
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by thapper
                    I've notice something that I found odd. When I started my new character I walked a few (4) steps before I chose my speciality. When viewing my character info it says that I gained that speciality at turn 49. But my torch still has 3496 turns of light left (3500-4). Why this? Are there two different types of turn counts?
                    Yes. At normal speed, one step takes 10 timerons.

Comment

• katrinak
                      Rookie
                      • Mar 2009

Well I dunno how many out there are playing on the DS, but after eyeing the interface skeptically, I dove in to FAAangband to see how well it'd work on the device.

Without the small device options, just using a dwarf warrior chuggin along, I'm at level 49 prowling near the bottom of TID. (I've taken my sweet time, I know...) But evidently, it's possibly to enjoyably (nearly) complete the game on the DS... that's quite an achievement of the port! For that you have my thanks and admiration.

Let's make it better!

Basic interface improvements:

The d-pad is obviously standing in for the numpad. That's fine, but when navigating menu options, sometimes there are numbered options which thwart d-pad usage! Notably in options interaction and in equipment management.

Maybe this is in there somewhere already, but auto-tunnelling when you hump a wall would be nice.

I suspect this is a lot to ask, but selecting and scrolling through store items, inventory, and other lists with the dpad would be awesome. It's a liitle tricky to tap the right one, and it's slow to go to the keyboard for it.

What else... consider adding more of those nice customizable buttons!

FAAngband wonderings:

I've only ever found one boots of speed type of item, my trusty leather sandals of +7 speed. (Now at [1, -1] due to the vagaries of battle.) And that was when I was clvl 30 or thereabouts. Seems a bit extreme in rareness over my millions of turns.

Why..is every level..infested with zephyr hounds?? They're fine enemies, but what the heck are they even from? After a certain level, every dungeon has at least a handful of clusters of'm. I kinda miss the weirdness, the dark-dungeony-ness of cthulu monsters -- not that I suggest adding them, but I'm all for a balance of more interesting monsters.

There's something that bothers me about the randart generation... my equipment didn't change much between clevels 20 and 40. Shrug, that's a multivariable equation that's probably a bear to mess with.

Great job! Just thought I'd throw in the feedback of a DS user. It's a -great- platform for roguelikes.

KK

Comment

• Nick
                        Vanilla maintainer
                        • Apr 2007

Originally posted by katrinak
                        Well I dunno how many out there are playing on the DS, but after eyeing the interface skeptically, I dove in to FAAangband to see how well it'd work on the device.
                        Have you seen that version 0.3.6 is now available from the download page?

The d-pad is obviously standing in for the numpad. That's fine, but when navigating menu options, sometimes there are numbered options which thwart d-pad usage! Notably in options interaction and in equipment management.
                        This whole numbers vs arrows thing is not quite sorted out on a regular keyboard, either - it's a game thing rather than a DS thing. I'll be looking at it again for the next version.

Maybe this is in there somewhere already, but auto-tunnelling when you hump a wall would be nice.
                        The problem with this is if (as I often do) you hit the wrong direction. If that happens at the moment, you get a message, but don't use a turn. Also, I think it's a good idea to keep arrows to just mean movement, so if you want to affect the terrain you actually have to consciously take an action.

I suspect this is a lot to ask, but selecting and scrolling through store items, inventory, and other lists with the dpad would be awesome. It's a liitle tricky to tap the right one, and it's slow to go to the keyboard for it.
                        Stores I've been lazy with; other lists should scroll fine with the dpad (although there might be a button/arrow problem in some places).

What else... consider adding more of those nice customizable buttons!
                        There is a lot of work being done on the interface at the moment, which will emerge at once Michael has it in a form he's happy with. It's sounding pretty promising.

I've only ever found one boots of speed type of item, my trusty leather sandals of +7 speed. (Now at [1, -1] due to the vagaries of battle.) And that was when I was clvl 30 or thereabouts. Seems a bit extreme in rareness over my millions of turns.
                        This is unlucky, but weirder stuff than this happens. Randomness is a wonderful thing...

Why..is every level..infested with zephyr hounds?? They're fine enemies, but what the heck are they even from? After a certain level, every dungeon has at least a handful of clusters of'm. I kinda miss the weirdness, the dark-dungeony-ness of cthulu monsters -- not that I suggest adding them, but I'm all for a balance of more interesting monsters.
                        This is largely due to the dungeon you're in - Tol-In-Gaurhoth has a high rate of wolves, hounds and undead (home of Sauron the Necromancer, lord of werewolves). Nargothrond and Angband have more variety.

There's something that bothers me about the randart generation... my equipment didn't change much between clevels 20 and 40. Shrug, that's a multivariable equation that's probably a bear to mess with.
                        It's a good point. The latest version is probably less like this. It's also worth spending a bit of time in wilderness - there's often good stuff to be found there.

Great job! Just thought I'd throw in the feedback of a DS user. It's a -great- platform for roguelikes.
                        Thanks - feedback is always helpful.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎