[Poschengband] Recommendations on fun-maximization on mages?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bimodal
    Rookie
    • Jun 2017

[Poschengband] Recommendations on fun-maximization on mages?

I'm new to Poschenband (last rougelike I beat was an old version of nethack 10 years ago) but I've recently been inspired and found Poschengband. There's a dizzying array of stuff to do, but I was hoping for advice on what schools of magic to pair on mages and yellow mages for fun, as opposed to peak effectiveness (it seems like armegeddon & sorcery is sort of hands down the easiest pair to work with).

But I'm curious if people have found other pairings that work and are really entertaining. Since I'm new to the mechanics, please don't assume something is obvious to me and leave it unsaid.
  • debo
    Veteran
    • Oct 2011

Straight-up Armageddon high-mage is also great. My only other advice would be to pick something with fast level growth (and use quickband mode!) Human, yeek, imp are all good.

Arma/sorc is my favorite pairing for vanilla mage, but sorc is mostly just there for convenience. There are so many strong device and activation options now that I imagine you can get almost everything but ddoor from items with some luck, and using high-mage really does give a huge boost over normal mage.
    Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• MITZE
      Swordsman
      • Jan 2017

Skillmasters

Not strictly a mage, skillmasters allow you to functionally build your own class. Recently I had fun with this by making a mage with mounts, something that doesn't exist in PosCheng right now.

Since it's a 'build your own class' kind of thing, you can take whatever school you want (I went with 'Chaos'), though it should be noted that skillmasters aren't overly flexible; you get five skill points to start with, and another one every five levels (so fifteen at max). That said, you'd probably want your choice of magic school as well as riding maxed; this takes ten skill points of the fifteen.

Note that 'Riding' is necessary, both for being able to get on your mount, as well as to reduce the chances of you being thrown off when you or your mount take damage.

If you end up wanting to go with this, say so and I'll give some more advice about what you'll need to keep in mind.
      Last edited by MITZE; June 30, 2017, 23:24. Reason: Grammar fix
      Everything you need to know about my roguelike playstyle:

I took nearly two years to win with a single character in PosChengband.

Comment

• Bimodal
        Rookie
        • Jun 2017

MITZE, I haven't quite worked up the courage to try Skillmaster yet but I'd love this. Sounds amazing.

I'm really curious if someone's found a good thing to pair with chaos, since it seems like sorcery is a bad fit (too much overlap right away). Death? Craft? What about for yellow mages?

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Bimodal
          MITZE, I haven't quite worked up the courage to try Skillmaster yet but I'd love this. Sounds amazing.

I'm really curious if someone's found a good thing to pair with chaos, since it seems like sorcery is a bad fit (too much overlap right away). Death? Craft? What about for yellow mages?
          Daemon or Nature might be okay also.
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• wobbly
            Prophet
            • May 2012

Nature/Death is a combination that's also not bad. None of nature's attack spells are that great but they do tend to hit things that death has trouble harming.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎