X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bonzo
    Scout
    • Sep 2007

[Un] Linux Version and Screen Resolution

I run Linux, but generally play *band via Wine. Recently I have been trying to play only Linux versions or compile source myself to play without using Wine.

So far, I've been able to play [Un] and V without using Wine, however the screen resolution on the Linux versions does not match the resolution in Wine, which I prefer. I'd really like to get [Un] working at a different resolution...[Un] looks like 800 X 600 and I'd prefer how it looks in Wine (1024 X 768?). Is there any way to do this?

I'm currently running KDE with a screen resolution of 1024 X 768. Thanks in advance.
    NPP(0.5.0-BETA6) D "Daith" KoRo L:36 DL:50 A+ R+ Sp w:The Two-Handed Sword of Cutur (3d6) (+18,+16) (+2)
    En/NPP(Un/Cr/Do) L H- D c-- f PV+ !s d P++ M+
    C-- S- I-- !So B-- ac GHB- SQ+ RQ V

The Angband Code
  • Nick
    Vanilla maintainer
    • Apr 2007

I see your point, but I'm not sure why it happens. Have you tried the SDL port of V? I think the resolution there is comparable to Wine. As for Un, the solution there is probably to tell the maintainer to start using the V build system *laughs evilly*
    One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
    In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• takkaria
      Veteran
      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by bonzo
      So far, I've been able to play [Un] and V without using Wine, however the screen resolution on the Linux versions does not match the resolution in Wine, which I prefer. I'd really like to get [Un] working at a different resolution...[Un] looks like 800 X 600 and I'd prefer how it looks in Wine (1024 X 768?). Is there any way to do this?
      Do you mean the size of the font differs between the two? Or the size of the windows?
      takkaria whispers something about options. -more-

Comment

• bonzo
        Scout
        • Sep 2007

Yes the size of the font. I can see more of the dungeon with Wine. I can maximize the screen size with both version with no problem.

The screen size of Linux version of [Un] is 101 characters wide by 31 characters tall.

The screen size of the Windows version of [Un] via Wine is about twice as big (I can see probably 50% more dungeon on screen)...it is actually bigger than what is shown on my monitor, as I can scroll the screen using the look command.

Will make post some screen shots later if it will help.
        NPP(0.5.0-BETA6) D "Daith" KoRo L:36 DL:50 A+ R+ Sp w:The Two-Handed Sword of Cutur (3d6) (+18,+16) (+2)

The Angband Code

Comment

• Bandobras
          Knight
          • Apr 2007

Play with environment variables. My script ugg.sh for starting Un on my 1600x1200 CRT looks as follows:

#!/bin/sh
          export ANGBAND_X11_AT_X_1=163
          export ANGBAND_X11_AT_Y_1=0
          export ANGBAND_X11_FONT_0="-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal-*-25-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"
          export ANGBAND_X11_FONT_1="-adobe-courier-bold-r-normal-*-25-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1"
          export ANGBAND_X11_COLS_0=80
          export ANGBAND_X11_ROWS_0=51
          export ANGBAND_X11_COLS_1=80
          export ANGBAND_X11_ROWS_1=51
          cd ~/waste/aaa/unangband
          src/unangband

I think, adding "-mx11 -- -n2" to the last line would actually start the second term (configure with the *_1 variables), but I don't need it, especially in the devel version where Big Al added the '[' command for viewing visible monsters list. The fonts are chosen to be as square as possible, change 25 to something lower and increase rows and columns to see more screen. You can see your available fonts with xfontsel.

Comment

• bonzo
            Scout
            • Sep 2007

Thanks a ton for the script, Bandobras. That did the trick after finding a valid font. Looks great...just gotta find a font that's better suited for my eyes. Thanks again.

The Angband Code

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞