• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Psi
    Knight
    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Seany C
    Prediction time:

May 2008: Char dump: Name: Psimpossible. Victory - ironman thrall small-device mode, 225K turns.
    No way. You'd have to be going very slowly to manage 225k turns without up staircases from Anf 58

To be honest I'm not entirely sure how plausible standard ironman is - never mind thrall ironman.

Comment

• Nick
      Vanilla maintainer
      • Apr 2007

I've just made a few small fixes (only really to the windows and WinCE ports) and uploaded again. The windows port now should not crash on exit; the WinCE port now works.
      One for the Dark Lord on his dark throne
      In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie.

Comment

• Psi
        Knight
        • Apr 2007

Weird weird bug...

Well I was just going to post that most of the old problems were now fixed (had one hang after char generation before the "Please Wait..." appears) when I hit possibly the strangest bug I've ever come across...

Playing a Dark Elf Warrior thrall (and doing quite nicely since Ulfast dropped Thingol and the Glaive of Pain ) I saw an iron crown and a light crossbow on the floor of Anf 58. I picked up the crown, went to pick up the crossbow and got the message "You enter a winding path to less danger." and I ended up on a water tile in the middle of Ered Luin 30! (which has rather made a mess of my route to Gondolin!)

The only thing I can think of is that the '<' button would appear in the same place as the 'g' button (ie on the end) on my command bar, so it might have brought up a '<' instead of a 'g' when I stepped on the crossbow (goodness knows why) and then why it took me to EL30 is another mystery.

Si

Comment

• Seany C
          Swordsman
          • Apr 2007

Heh, that is bizarre - normally, the RNG would dictate that the crossbow was Cubragol on a non-preserve game.
          I've no idea what caused it but it would be a very wily trap to send you to a completely different part of the dungeon (and potentially useful to speed up progress if you got lucky)...

Comment

• Psi
            Knight
            • Apr 2007

Ok this is funny. Something is messed up in the new feature code - anything other than a path or rubble seems to be usable as a stairway! I just used a water tile to get to Eriador 9...

Methinks another bugfix will be out soon...

Comment

• Psi
              Knight
              • Apr 2007

Hmmm. I then tried to move to Belegost but when I tried to enter my home, the game hung with me in the doorway.

I reloaded, went to Belegost again. After I try and move home I can no longer save the game - "Saving game... failed!"

Comment

• Psi
                Knight
                • Apr 2007

Ha ha! I've made it to Nowhere Town and I have a home there! That was thoughtful of you

Unfortunately as a thrall, I have no recall and nowhere to recall to even if I did. The Complainer is here, but I can't catch him to kill him (he seems very scared and won't talk to me). Fortunately I have a Wand of Drain Life...

Comment

• Bandobras
                  Knight
                  • Apr 2007

Long live Nowhere Town! Variants without Nowhere Town are bogus.

Comment

• Psi
                    Knight
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Seany C
                    Prediction time:

May 2008: Char dump: Name: Psimpossible. Victory - ironman thrall small-device mode, 225K turns.
                    Well with thrall mode seemingly broken (unless that is part of the terrain feature bug too), I launched on a string of Psimpossibles. The last one started well by finding a wand of cold balls in Anf 58, which killed a Gav Berserker in Ang 60 who dropped a Broad Sword of Freezing. I then found an Elvenkind Shield with rPois, rConf, rSound and rShards! Descended to Ang61 where I was set upon by a Nexus vortex, with the deathblow coming from... Psimpossible the Deathlord. Thanks.

For this to become a viable mode of play, then something has to be done about anything that starts awake (vortices, zephyr hounds, death quasits and player ghosts). Either they need to be forced asleep or effectively genocided from the game.

Comment

• Nick
                      Vanilla maintainer
                      • Apr 2007

OK, looks like I've broken terrain (probably not the new flags so much as the fact that I re-ordered terrain.txt and missed some things that depended on the current order). I'll get a fix out soon - although I seem to have seriously broken the linux partition where I do all my dev work, so it'll be longer than normal.

Comment

• HallucinationMushroom
                        Knight
                        • Apr 2007

When I tunnel the game crashes. I shift t to tunnel and pick a direction and I get the FAangband has encountered an error screen. I'm in the Sirion Vale 28 if that makes any difference.

On a brighter note the weapons store had a 2d14 battleaxe for sale! No amount of crashing can quell the glee that brings me. I'm hoping to find the hardcore dragons.
                        You are on something strange

Comment

• Nick
                          Vanilla maintainer
                          • Apr 2007

Originally posted by HallucinationMushroom
                          When I tunnel the game crashes. I shift t to tunnel and pick a direction and I get the FAangband has encountered an error screen. I'm in the Sirion Vale 28 if that makes any difference.
                          What are you tunnelling into?

Computer and stairs bug are fixed, btw; now working on the thrall mode home bug.

Comment

• Psi
                            Knight
                            • Apr 2007

I haven't had problems tunneling into walls. Eagerly awaiting the fixed version - will be keeping my eye out for the new download!

Cheers,
                            Si

Comment

• Nick
                              Vanilla maintainer
                              • Apr 2007

OK, new versions are up with the the thrall mode home problems and I believe all the terrain bugs (including the "everything's a staircase" bug and tunnelling problems) fixed. It wouldn't altogether surprise me if some more terrain issues turn up; there were lots of places in the code which depended on the order of the terrain in terrain.txt, so I may have missed some. So please report anything that looks like a problem.

Comment

• Psi
                                Knight
                                • Apr 2007

Cool. Thanks Nick.

Two points:

1. First time I just updated the binary, but this prevented me from taking stairs. Once I updated lib and regenerated the raw files this worked again.

2. '<' and '>' are still generated as mouse buttons when standing on grass - however you can no longer use them as stairs.

Cheers,
                                Si

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡