Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Regalia
    Apprentice
    • Dec 2008

You can check your fame level at the inn but you're better off checking your reforge power directly at the reforge service.

Comment

• wobbly
      Prophet
      • May 2012

If you can read code: https://github.com/poschengband/posc.../src/object3.c copied from this thread: http://angband.oook.cz/forum/showthr...hlight=reforge
      Last edited by wobbly; December 20, 2015, 14:17.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
        Veteran
        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by wobbly
        Off the top of my head for fame: quests, uniques, dungeon bosses, the arena but I've never actually seen a list.
        Generally, these are ways to increase your fame. In the pre-4.0.0 days, you'd be able to know your fame by a numerical value. But as of 4.0.0, not anymore and we're left with a description of your fate and that's it!!
        My best try at PosChengband 7.0.0's nightmare-mode on Angband.live:
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwAR0WOphUA

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

As of February 18th, 2022, my YouTube username is MidgardVirtuoso

Comment

• debo
          Veteran
          • Oct 2011

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
          Generally, these are ways to increase your fame. In the pre-4.0.0 days, you'd be able to know your fame by a numerical value. But as of 4.0.0, not anymore and we're left with a description of your fate and that's it!!
          Just go to fighter's hall and look at what your max reforge power, it's really all that matters.
          Glaurung, Father of the Dragons says, 'You cannot avoid the ballyhack.'

Comment

• Avenger
            Apprentice
            • Dec 2013

Ok, new problem. How do I make the Phoenix stay dead? I've killed it twice so far, and it just pops right back. I thought maybe it'd respawn once, but apparently it does so at least twice. Is it indefinite? If so, how do I take it down?

Edit: Problem solved, though I'm not sure exactly how. I decided to make another attempt to see whether disintegrating the bastard would prevent him from having any ashes to rise from. Can't say if that's what did it, or if he only resurrects twice, or whether there was another variable I'm unaware of, but regardless, he's now dead.

If anyone knows for sure what it takes to kill it, though, that'll be good to know for future characters - not everyone's got disintegration type damage available to them, so as cool as that would be, I'm kind of hoping it's something else.
            Last edited by Avenger; December 21, 2015, 06:50.
            C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)
            C(TN/Do) W H- D-- c-- f PV s- d+ P++ M?
            C S++ I+ So B- ac- GHB- SQ RQ V+ F:TomeNET Game Progression

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
              Veteran
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Avenger
              Ok, new problem. How do I make the Phoenix stay dead? I've killed it twice so far, and it just pops right back. I thought maybe it'd respawn once, but apparently it does so at least twice. Is it indefinite? If so, how do I take it down?

Edit: Problem solved, though I'm not sure exactly how. I decided to make another attempt to see whether disintegrating the bastard would prevent him from having any ashes to rise from. Can't say if that's what did it, or if he only resurrects twice, or whether there was another variable I'm unaware of, but regardless, he's now dead.

If anyone knows for sure what it takes to kill it, though, that'll be good to know for future characters - not everyone's got disintegration type damage available to them, so as cool as that would be, I'm kind of hoping it's something else.
              I think there may have been a nearby monster that was resurrecting the Phoenix, causing the scene you were having.

If I'm offline I'm probably in the middle of maintaining Gentoo or something-Linux or other.

Comment

• wobbly
                Prophet
                • May 2012

Originally posted by HugoTheGreat2011
                I think there may have been a nearby monster that was resurrecting the Phoenix, causing the scene you were having.
                archvile? Unless you have auto-destroy corpse, it might cause this kind of shenanigans.

A test would be to stash the corpse safe & sound in home or museum. I've never actually seen the Phoenix rise from it's own ashes.
                Last edited by wobbly; December 21, 2015, 09:59.

Comment

• debo
                  Veteran
                  • Oct 2011

IIRC, Phoenix has a random chance to resurrect up to 3 times. I don't think there's anything you can do to stop this, you just have to be prepared for it going into the fight.

Comment

• Avenger
                    Apprentice
                    • Dec 2013

Thanks debo - that makes the most sense.

Hugo and wobbly, there was never a corpse, and I can assure you nothing else was in the area. There was a special text, along with a unique damage effect, immediately after the Phoenix's HP reached 0.
                    C(6.3) C Erirbag [Half-Ogre Cultist] L:39 DL:Collector's Cave 2 A+ R+ Sp w:The Long Sword of Karakal (2d5) (+9, +12) (+2)

Comment

• debo
                      Veteran
                      • Oct 2011

It actually looks like there's just a 1 in 3 chance of it rising again, independent of how many times you've already killed it.

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                        Veteran
                        • Jan 2012

Originally posted by debo
                        It actually looks like there's just a 1 in 3 chance of it rising again, independent of how many times you've already killed it.

https://github.com/poschengband/posc.../xtra2.c#L2786
                        You know what. In Greek mythology, the Phoenix is known for its "cyclical rebirth". In the Final Fantasy series, the Phoenix Down (an item) resurrects a character during battle. Either chris or the Hengband makers had this concept of the Phoenix in mind.

Wikipedia page on the Phoenix:
                        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_%28mythology%29

Comment

• HugoVirtuoso
                          Veteran
                          • Jan 2012

I found another bug in 4.0.0 (and this should be appended to the 4.0.0 announement)
                          The message history search function ('P' then '/') does not work. It only works on the first page and that's it.

Comment

• Avenger
                            Apprentice
                            • Dec 2013

I did make the Phoenix/rebirth mythology connection. I just wasn't clear on the mechanics, and I'm nowhere near familiar enough with the source to locate the appropriate lines of code on github. I did check r.info, but I found nothing. Makes more sense to hardcode something like that then to make a flag that only applies to one entry, anyway.

Edit: posting from a phone creates autocorrect issues.

Comment

• Regalia
                              Apprentice
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Avenger
                              Makes more sense to hardcode something like that then to make a flag that only applies to one entry, anyway.
                              On the subject of hardcoded monster properties, there are also monster specific drops, in the same file

GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.

Now I was never sure on the issue if they can all drop from other monsters. I think if they got the 'questitem' tag then they can't. Which I never liked. I'd rather they had a chance to drop from other mobs after you kill the owner (and nothing drops).

Comment

• Avenger
                                Apprentice
                                • Dec 2013

Certain of them can drop elsewhere, I've found Calris without killing Lungorthin =P Krait found it just before his death, actually. But perhaps that questitem tag changes things.

Did anyone else raise an eyebrow at the Sméagol drop? I'd never heard of that happening, but even with that chance, as many mortems as get posted, someone must have had it happen to them.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎